Olympus

Sanford

Funny you should mention this, as I just now became aware of the digital Pen F reincarnation and have been seriously contemplating it as a smaller alternative system. Have dithered so long over the various OM-Ds that the existence of the nifty Pen F completely eluded me until this month. Figures I would be oblivious to it for the three years it was current, only to discover it now a year after its been discontinued.
  • Like 2

Almost a year ago, I bought a new EM-5 III after the shutter on my EM-5 I started to fail. At the time I looked at other APSC alternatives, like Fuji X, and concluded that I could not duplicate my current M43 system with Fuji without spending a whole lot more and carrying a material amount more weight (which was a non starter). In addition, I didn't really want to go through the learning curve of a new camera system.

Post divestiture by Olympus, I don't know if I would make the same decision. I don't know if M43 will survive beyond the next 4-5 years. Perhaps by then I will be fine using just my phone and one of Sony's expensive 1" sensor compact wonder cameras. For my 65th birthday all I am looking for is covid vaccine and a $1K acoustic guitar that is far more capable than I am. Probably get the guitar well before a vaccine appointment.

After the announcement I carefully considered "upgrading" my trusty E-Pl2, which has served me so well, to a used OM D-E M1 Mark III. However, thinking about the collection of vintage manual focus lenses I use, and occasional 30x40 canvas prints I have made, instead I went for a used Sony A7R ii. The learning curve isn't terrible after using the OLY for years, and the results are more than worth the jump. Plus, I actually ended up saving some $ in the process. I do think the OLY continues to be a good buy if one wants the M4/3 format, and am keeping mine in the family when I want that 2x crop.

Would you buy an Olympus camera today in view of their current situation? I would have put this in the Olympus Forum but I don't think anyone goes there any more.

I do not like the small sensor, but there are a number of m43 Olympus cameras in our home, including a couple of Pen Fs. One of those is mine.

Cameras and lenses are in plentiful supply (not cheap, by the way). And i do not know, of course, but do not expect to have to replace or repair one soon.

So yes, given the uncertain position of Olympus' camera division, i would not hesitate. Nice cameras, good lenses. Worth having.

• Like 1

I personally feel cautiously optimistic. m43 as a system is very capable and well priced from consumer to pro level. I have no idea how well FF Panasonic are selling, but my guess is not as well as they would have liked or expected, so I doubt they will be quitting m43. m43 is the drone format king too so the format is here to stay. I love my Olympus system. I wish I had a good excuse to get a Pen F, but I don't.
Robin Smith

Would you buy an Olympus camera today in view of their current situation?

Not if I were to build a new system. The new owner has yet to show their intentions and commitment.

Besides the Vlogging camera (G100) of last year, the Panasonic line-up is also getting a bit long in the tooth. Their full frame system and collaboration with Leica and Sigma seems to be given higher priority, but who knows where they have their priorities.

I would wait and see before committing to m4/3.

Niels

Not if I were to build a new system. The new owner has yet to show their intentions and commitment.

Besides the Vlogging camera (G100) of last year, the Panasonic line-up is also getting a bit long in the tooth. Their full frame system and collaboration with Leica and Sigma seems to be given higher priority, but who knows where they have their priorities.

I would wait and see before committing to m4/3.

I don't count on any exciting products to come out of the new Olympus but if I like a current product and the price is right I have no problem buying it.

• Like 1

I don't count on any exciting products to come out of the new Olympus but if I like a current product and the price is right I have no problem buying it.

After being burned by Olympus when they dumped the original 4/3 mount after only a few years on the market, I have been buying digital cameras and lenses with the mindset that they are "disposable".

Niels

After being burned by Olympus when they dumped the original 4/3 mount after only a few years on the market, I have been buying digital cameras and lenses with the mindset that they are "disposable".

HMMM. I have an old 1st gen OMD EM1. Are you saying if I buy a new lens for it, the LENS mount is different than the lens mount on the old camera I have?

HMMM. I have an old 1st gen OMD EM1. Are you saying if I buy a new lens for it, the LENS mount is different than the lens mount on the old camera I have?

No. Your’s is m4/3. Olympus effectively let 4/3 die when they introduced m4/3. Those of us who had build a 4/3 system were left with an adapter that only worked acceptably on the most expensive Oly m4/3 model.

Niels

I have three good m4/3 lenses and two Panasonics (GF1/GX1) that on their last legs. I want an inexpensive mid-level body with an EVF & silent shutter but Panasonic want's to include a kit lens. I do not or need another kit kens. The Olympus OMD EM5 MkII @ $549 seems reasonable.

In fact I don't buy cameras with the "disposable" mindset. I would expect them to last a long time. I would evaluate them and see if they suit me. Once I have something that suit me a better system won't make me change my mind.

That depends.

Do you already have Olympus gear, and how much?

I have enough that I am committed to Olympus.

So yes, I would buy another camera. But I would wait for the EM1-mk4, since I have the mk2.

And depending on release price, I plan to by another lens, the 8-24.

Panasonic lenses may or may not work well on the Olympus.

With Panasonic lenses on an Olympus, you cannot use dual IS, it is either OIS or IBIS.