Need a fresh approach in purchasing a lens...could use your input.

<p>Found a lens that do I'd like to get and it's over 1000 miles away. The guy wants to sell the lens locally. I've talked with him and he doesn't have the capacity or the will to do Paypal. I kind of let it go for a while (week or two) and noticed that he listed the lens again. I'm just wondering if anyone have tried some alternative means ("independent broker" ?) to smooth out such sale transaction, where both sides feel secure and comfortable about it ? Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>Leszek, are you referring to a Craig's list local listing by Internet or another type? Often with the former you are best to see and test the functioning of the lens and make a payment direct to the person. As this is not possible it seems, you need some assurance that what you get is what you will have paid for and Paypal at least in some cases insures your acquisition against loss in transport and perhaps some other factors. It is a risk to buy unseen and/or without recourse if it is not what you agreed upon. If the lens is not very expensive, perhaps the seller has little incentive to join Paypal, but if it is fairly expensive he may bend if he has had trouble selling it. The Paypal fee is about 3 or 4% so you could pay that as David said. You can also check other sellers (eBay, KEH, etc.) or place a want to buy add here if the lens is not that rare.</p>

<p>I don't think there's any sort of buyer protection through PayPal unless it's for an auction through ebay. Anyone can sell a lens on ebay, and anyone can set up a paypal account. If you send money without any guarantees (e.g. buyer protection), you're just asking for trouble.</p>

<p>There are companies that sell items through ebay for others. Perhaps there is one local to him.</p>

<p>I once found a hardtop for a convertible in a CL add in San Diego (across the country). I arranged with a local shipper to pick up the top, hand over a cashier's check I sent him to the seller, pack up the hardtop, and freight it cross-country to me. It went off without a hitch. Perhaps you could arrange for the seller to take the lens in to a shipper who would do a similar exchange of lens for check. You would only be guaranteed of receiving a lens that way, with no protections regarding whether the lens is any good.</p>

<p>The independent broker deals can be a scam, so be wary. If the lens is expensive, perhaps a local camera dealer can facilitate the deal for a fee. I'd just be extremely wary of purchasing a lens at a distance without inspection or a rock solid guarantee. If the lens is inexpensive, I'd look elsewhere for a deal. As far as I'm concerned, having sold lots of photo gear on the big auction site as well as Craigslist for over 10 years, Paypal is the only way to go unless you physically see the lens and do a cash deal.</p>

<p>In the early days of eBay, we just sent off a money order and crossed our fingers. You might try that approach if you're in a trusting mood...and want the lens bad enough. As for the seller shipping the item, have him take it to the UPS store and bill you.</p>

<p>If you have someone you know where the lens is, you could have them pick it up & pay for it, then ship to you. But if that person doesn't know lenses, how would you tell if it was worth the money.</p>

<p>I once acted as an in-country POC for someone in the UK who wanted to buy a car part from eBay. The seller would not ship to the UK, so I accepted the package in the US and re-posted it to the UK. The buyer paid me in other car parts that were unavailable in the US.</p>

<p>Personally, unless the lens is exceedingly rare, or exceedingly cheap, you'll be much better off waiting for something local to come up.</p>