Monday in Nature, 4 January 2021

Discussion in 'Nature' started by DavidTriplett, Jan 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basic Guidelines: In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include "hand of man elements". Please refrain from images with buildings or human made structures like roads, fences, walls. Pets are not permitted. Captive subjects in zoos, arboretums, or aquariums are permitted, but must be declared, and must focus on the subject, not the captivity. Images with obvious human made elements will likely be deleted from the thread, with an explanation to the photographer. Guidelines are based on PSA rules governing Nature photography which also cover the Nature Forum. Keep your image at/under 1000 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc.

Each member please post no more than just one image to this weekly thread per week. If the information is available, many members appreciate information on your approach to making the image and the names, both common and scientific, of the subject(s). However, while encouraged, these are not required as a component of your contributions.

The Boxelder Bug, or Boisea Trivittata, is ubiquitous in these parts. It is not uncommon to open up a wall or ceiling to discover literally millions of these, mostly dead, which find their way into any nook or cranny come cold weather. They are not dangerous, just annoying, and something of a joke due to their insidious and unstoppable infiltration into places of human abode.
    MiN-210104-6502.jpg
    Nikon D5100+Micro-Nikkor 55mm/2.8 @ f/2.8, ISO 100, 1/125 second, processed in LR-5.

2. Hooded Merganser seen in Austin, TX. Shot with Nikon D850 and Tamron 159-600mm lens. DSC_1138.jpg

3. Scientists have found that raccoons are incredibly smart as they continue to adapt to the environment and their intelligence continue to evolve. Amazing animals.
    2 Raccoons.jpg

4. Double-crested cormorant, D500, 500PF, 1/2000s, f/5.6, ISO 1000
    [​IMG]

5. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

An American white pelican trying to take away a trout which a double-crested cormorant caught for breakfast.

This is actually one frame from a 4K video captured with a Nikon Z6 and 600mm/f4 lens.

Struggle_6709.jpg

6. Taken in Jack E. Hill Park, Elk Grove, CA 2 December 2020 @ 1:58 PM
    Nikon D750 1/1600 sec, f/7.1, ISO 1100 (Auto), Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD A022N @ 460mm, Range: 19.95 meters

Please view full-size

_DSC1756_20201202.jpg

7. _DSC1373-Edit.jpg
    Egyptian Goose (I think)
    Houston, Texas
    Nikon D750 200-500mm f/5.6. 1/320 sec @ f/5.6 ISO 1400

8. Accumulation of several foggy/frosty mornings and still cloudy days in Central WI. 40CEAE53-54B4-4D4F-B2D1-BE6F0F79A6C5.jpeg

ericphelps, bnelson, bgelfand and 3 others like this.
  9. Baboon troop foraging at Lake Manyara, Kenya
    Tanzania-Lake-Manyara-environs.jpg

bnelson likes this.
  10. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

11. @Sandy Vongries, he's looking fat and healthy. Not much of a rack, but would make good eating!

ericphelps, bgelfand, bnelson and 2 others like this.
  12. Yellow-billed Magpie, a California endemic species[​IMG]

13. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Douglas Herr's magpie is not visible to me again, on Google Chrome. Looks like it is a browser issue. The image shows fine on FireFox, Microsoft Edge, and Apple Safari.

14. Same for me.

15. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Mary Doo likes this.
  16. I am on chrome (ipad) and see the image just fine. Will have to check later on the Windows desktop.

Mary Doo likes this.
  17. Yep, no go on chrome on the desktop. Fine on Edge and CCleaner Browser, both of which are chromium-based.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    bgelfand likes this.
  18. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Now I have tried Google Chrome on three different platforms. It works fine on my iPhone, but not on either Windows 10 or Mac.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.