Leonard Nimoy died

From my old neighborhood in Boston's West End. First big starring role was "Kid Monk Baroni." A B movie but hey.... Signs at the Bowdoin Square movie house marquee anounced, " Boston's own Leonard Nimoy."

Lennie, from all I know, and I never met him personally, was a real mensch as well as an artist, actor and accomplished photographer of considerable talent, Even his nude studies were pretty elegant. Not bad for a once poor Jewish kid from the old immigrant neighborhood:-)

<p>Some of Nimoy's nude photographs were delightful, although I wished he'd done the Full Body Project with a more formal approach and careful attention to lighting and background. I found some of the harsh side lighting and cluttered surroundings distracting. I've wondered whether it would do a disservice to his legacy to rework those photos with digital editing. I suppose I was wanting more of an Avedon approach.</p>

<p>Nimoy also returned a much needed edge to the final seasons of Fringe. Much as I enjoyed that show it tended to get a bit too jokey at times as Walter's character became a study in quirky mannerisms. Even at the end of a fine acting career Nimoy still had that mastery and ability to infuse a character with both warm humor and a hint of menace. Nimoy himself looked rather frail, but his acting remained potent.</p>

And he showed his acting chops too in a long forgotten TV movie as Golda Meir's husband Morris. I had trouble seeing Mr Spock as Morris but not for long. Alongside the inimitable Ingrid Bergman in her last acting role before her death in the '80s. Got a posthumous Emmy she did. Can be googled and clips seen on You Tube naturally.

<p>I met him once just after Star Trek went off the air. It must have been 1968, or 1969. He was doing a personal appearance in a local store in Coram NY. I was excited to go see him being that I loved Star Trek, and expected a long line. I was one of three, or four teens who met him. Apparently Star Trek wasn't as big a deal at that point as it later became. Still, it was a big deal to me because nothing like that had happened anywhere near where I lived up to that point.</p>

<p>The most important thing about Spock to me is that he came from a world where the inhabitants there almost destroyed each other due to "human" qualities. The survivors adapted by incorporating Logic to guide their behaviors. Spock was half-human though, so he sometimes struggle with human emotions... </p>

<p>Harry, as a devotee of both the original Star Trek series and the Next Generation series, I assure you that Spock was the only half-Vulcan/half-human inhabitant of his world. The original series brought forth the premise that the Vulcans, at the dawn of their history, had to conquer their emotions. By the time of Spock's birth, this was no longer an issue. Spock's occasional predilection to express an emotion led to consternation on the part of his parents, especially Sarek (his father) and explain the occasional conflicts that arose. </p>

<p>I still remember Kirk telling Spock that he was becoming more human all the time. Spock's response was to admonish Kirk by stating that he wasn't going to subject himself to any further insults of that nature. (An emotional response, to be sure.)</p>