If you could have it back......

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by fotolopithecus, Feb 1, 2021.

1. I don't think phones are destined to take over the world, except for (excuse the terminology, no looking down the nose intended) Snap shooters. There are limits to what can be done with a tiny sensor

2. LOL. Don't be too sure of that. There's a more full quotation than the one most have only heard a portion of ...
    Seriously, though, limits are relative. There are actually unlimited things one can do with a cell phone sensor but there are also some technical limits that and any other piece of equipment will constrain one to. Just as there are unlimited approaches to photography but probably some personal and cultural limits consciously or unconsciously imposed on the unlimited photographic possibilities, regardless of equipment size, shape, brand, and price.

Somewhere in the counterpoint of limits and unlimitedness, photos get made.

3. Sounds like one of those astounding predictions from Eisenhower-era Popular Mechanics magazine. Still waiting for a flying car...

4. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

If true...think of the wonderful opportunities for those of us who prefer cameras, better even than when digital first overtook film, to get fabulous pro equipment for pennies on the dollar! Got some GREAT stuff back then.

fotolopithecus likes this.
  5. Great question. I'd love to have my very first 35mm camera back. It was a fixed focus point-and-shoot Canon Snappy with graphics from the 1984 Olympics. My (extremely parsimonious) father must have found it in a closeout bin in December of '84 so he decided on it for a birthday gift for me. I shot many hundreds of bad pictures with that camera until I upgraded to a Minolta a few years later. But those cheesy images were the foundation of a lifetime of images to come and (something I would never have imagined) a full time career as a fine art, commercial and editorial photographer. That Snappy is what started it all for me and I'd love to have it back.

6. That sounds a bit philosophical, but I'm speaking more of the limit in physics. In any event I don't see a future time when a tiny sensor beats or equals a larger one given the same technology.

7. Tom Brady beats 'em all. :)

Seriously, though, I understand the point you're making.
    It was meant to be. :eek:

Philosophy, like Brady, rules... just ask Plato...

Best-play-dough-recipe-i-heart-naptime-3-740x1036.jpg

fotolopithecus likes this.
  8. Plato? That ultraconservative aristocratic reactionary who needed to invent an alternate reality to get people to agree with him?
    Nah... Don't ask Plato.

9. I gave away Nikon DE-1 viewfinder when my F2AS was stolen.. Today the viewfinder alone is worth as much as the F2.

orsetto likes this.
  10. When I found out that my stowed away 25 years old destined for goodwill Yashica T4 was worth twice the price I paid in the 90's, I sold it and laughed at the stupid buyer (quietly).
    Now it is worth 3 times the original price and rising for reasons I don't comprehend.

It is like Gamestop stocks. Someone on Reddit must trading it up from worthless just to defy an old fart like me.

My regret is that I should have kept it a little longer and cashed in. Well, not really, I already felt bad selling it at twice the price - it is an OK lens with a terrible implementation of a plastic camera wrapped around it.

fotolopithecus and orsetto like this.
  11. Trendiness is the reason: a rising tide of cultism floats all boats. The younguns suddenly decided some years back that "premium" vintage compact P&S cameras were almost as cool around the neck as Leica RFs when strolling Bedford Ave. Any P&S with a premium pedigree or known to have a better-than-average lens costs a small fortune today: they've recently jumped from third to second place rank on the jewelry scale (Leica RF first, then luxury P&S, with '60s-serial# Nikon F + either plain pentaprism or cyclops Photomic dropping to third place). You know we're living in strange times if Brooklyn hipsters are better versed in the minutiae distinguishing early Nikon F bodies than Japanese camera collectors.

Removing tongue from cheek, to be fair a lot of film newbies with legit aspirations just feel a quality P&S allows them to shoot film in a manner approaching the convenience/spontaneity of their iPhone/Galaxy. Going the other direction, I've seen several tutorials by mirrorless system enthusiasts describing how to harvest and re-mount some tiny high performance P&S lenses like the 35mm f/2.8 lens from a Nikon L35AF to shoot FX digital.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  12. I sold a perfectly functioning Zeiss Ikon 6x9 folder for no good reason that I would love to have today. Bought another off Ebay but that one had problems so I returned it. I also sold an Xpan for no good reason. But I found another a few years later and bought it back. Now I'm thinking of selling that one as prices have gone sky high.

13. Yes. He's the one I chose to play off the word "rules," in both its senses. Glad you got it! ;)

14. Trendiness is mostly amusing in cameras and mostly devastating in photos.