If you could have it back......

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I found out that my stowed away 25 years old destined for goodwill Yashica T4 was worth twice the price I paid in the 90's, I sold it and laughed at the stupid buyer (quietly).Now it is worth 3 times the original price and rising for reasons I don't comprehend.

Trendiness is the reason: a rising tide of cultism floats all boats. The younguns suddenly decided some years back that "premium" vintage compact P&S cameras were almost as cool around the neck as Leica RFs when strolling Bedford Ave. Any P&S with a premium pedigree or known to have a better-than-average lens costs a small fortune today: they've recently jumped from third to second place rank on the jewelry scale (Leica RF first, then luxury P&S, with '60s-serial# Nikon F + either plain pentaprism or cyclops Photomic dropping to third place). You know we're living in strange times if Brooklyn hipsters are better versed in the minutiae distinguishing early Nikon F bodies than Japanese camera collectors.

Removing tongue from cheek, to be fair a lot of film newbies with legit aspirations just feel a quality P&S allows them to shoot film in a manner approaching the convenience/spontaneity of their iPhone/Galaxy. Going the other direction, I've seen several tutorials by mirrorless system enthusiasts describing how to harvest and re-mount some tiny high performance P&S lenses like the 35mm f/2.8 lens from a Nikon L35AF to shoot FX digital.

Edited by orsetto

I sold a perfectly functioning Zeiss Ikon 6x9 folder for no good reason that I would love to have today. Bought another off Ebay but that one had problems so I returned it. I also sold an Xpan for no good reason. But I found another a few years later and bought it back. Now I'm thinking of selling that one as prices have gone sky high.

• 1 year later...