How to avoid hot steam on lens in food photography ?

hoi_kwong

<p>In a family gathering dinner, I was shooting boiling pot of stewed beef with soup bubble coming up while my camera was pointing down. As a result, my lens was all fog up. I tried shooting from different angles, it's either unable to get rid of hot steam or didn't showcase the yummy boiling food. <br /> How can I fix this problem in shooting or there's something to do in editing ?<br /> Thanks.</p>

<p>Telephoto lens ... or maybe a 200mm Micro (Macro) lens if you are shooting full frame or at least a 100mm Macro if you are shooting with a crop sensor. That will get you further away from the hot food.</p>

<p>Shoot from a lower angle so the camera lens is not in the direct path of the steam</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"I was shooting boiling pot of stewed beef with soup bubble coming up while my camera was pointing down."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I imagine the pot will need to be on the heating element in order to maintain full boil. <br>

<br>

To shoot in such a situation, I'd probably use a fan to disperse the steam and use a mirror angled at 45°. Even better if the pot can be placed on a single-element electric stove to make framing and shooting easier. </p>

<p>As others have mentioned, simply backing off out of the way of the steam is a good idea. Another important point is to use top or backlighting to highlight the steam - on-camera or frontal lighting is guaranteed to make food look revolting. I don't know where you live - here in the UK takeaway food shops (fish and chips, kebabs, etc.) often have pix of their wares taken with this type of lighting - this reflects off and heavily emphasises any grease.</p>