Have you ever brought a step ladder with you on a shoot?

<p>Hi Atina,<br>

Afraid I don't know of any famous photographers than have done so but, I once did for a group photo of about 25 people.<br>

The platform they provided was not a step ladder but an elevated work platform with enough area to set up a tripod.<br>

It was their request however and, in the end they were pleased with the photograph, and the way everyone was looking up.<br>

From the link, it appears that the photographer taking the photograph of the photographer on the step ladder was elevated too!(That's a mouth full!)<br>

I suppose it depends on the POV one is after, . . . looks very uncomfortable!<br>

Sorry I can't be of more help.</p>

<p>I'm 6'2" and usually rather concerened about getting down to others' eyelevels and wearing pants that allow kneeling.<br>

I'd call the question: "How to see that I should get a step ladder?" more interesting than "which step ladder to buy steal or borrow?"<br>

Are ladder users like the one Atina linked to pre-shooting with a cable released tiny digital held high above with a monopod? Are they running around with a cardboard periscope while scouting their subjects?<br>

I am recalling that Ansel Adams was able & prepared to shoot from his car's roof according to his books.<br>

Upon carrying ladders: I am aware that even my down to earth gear easily exceeds my ignorable payload, the amount I am able to carry without falling mentally into a blinders wearing packmule state, that interferes with my ability to spot subjects, so I guess figuring out how to mount a ladder on a delivery bike would be pretty important for landscape photographers at least in countries where 4WDing through the wilderness isn't permitted.</p>

<p>I personally do not know any famous photographers but I feel absolutely certain that there is not a single famous photographer that would not have used a stepladder if he/she felt that the ladder would give them the point of view they wanted or needed.</p>

<p>I’m 74 and 6’2” and yes I have taken a stepladder to a photoshoot. Recently shot a photo where I am going back with a stepladder for a redo because I need the extra height. It's a tool. If you need it why not use it.</p>

<p>I have a combination step ladder/equipment cart that I frequently take on location shoots, a Conair Pro Ladderkart that I got from B&H. It can carry a fair amount of lighting equipment and it allows me to use my Manfrotto tripod at the full 8' height that it can go up to when I need to.</p>

<p>I have shot many outdoor weddings and always have a step-ladder in my van. It's 7' and extends to an 11' ladder if need be. I usually use a 70-200mm from 'up there' and position the ladder off to one side at the rear of the gathering. I also use a 2-step stool, as I'm 5'9" and there is often an obstacle I have to shoot over (hats, hair, heads, etc.)</p>

<p>We always used stepladders to shoot record shots of excavations from a higher viewpoint.<br>

(another benefit was that it was the only place in a cornfield later in the season that was high enough to get some breeze)</p><div>00c5Dw-543127084.jpg.9986708ae4f94354094c17818a065beb.jpg</div>

<p>At endurance auto races, or races like the SCCA vintage series you'll see people with various kinds of "height-enhancers" to get a better view over fencing, and more cars in a shot - if you're too low you'll only get the lead car. I've considered renting a stepladder at a local tools rental place if I've flown in, instead of driving to an event. </p>

<p>My roofer pulled up in a Mustang to give me an estimate. When I asked if he needed a ladder, he promptly opened his trunk and pulled out a 16' aluminium collapsible ladder very similar to this one:<br>

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Telescopic-Telescoping-Collapsible-Extension/dp/B00D3TD79Q/">http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Telescopic-Telescoping-Collapsible-Extension/dp/B00D3TD79Q/</a></p>

<p>I'd use it for photography if I wasn't so scared of heights. :-) </p>

<p>Yes, I have brought a step ladder to a photo shoot. It's the best way to get a group shot with several rows of people if you don't have risers or stairs. I have a shoot next Saturday where I will have to stand on a grade about 5' below the group. A ladder will make up the difference. When possible, I check to see if one will be available on site. Aalthough I can fit a 6' ladder inside my minivan, the less I have to carry, the better. I've also carried a ladder to shoot over tall grass or corn at the edge of a roadway.</p>

<p>Going slightly off-topic, but has anyone ever seen any discussion of the aerodynamics of Ansel Adams' vehicles with those platforms? I'm guessing he must have been a slow driver?<br>

in the Northern Plains, back in River Basin Surveys archaeological project days, we used to use a straight ladder held in the air by ropes held by the crew -- Now that was scary, and some known back injuries are recorded.</p>

<p>This thread brought to mind another incident where I used a tall stepladder to photograph a family reunion of 80 people. I had them all situated on a very steep hill leading down to a lake. As is normal, I ran out of room and had to position the ladder very precariously downhill from the group and then climb quite high to capture the shot. My ladder can be adjusted to uneven surfaces, like staircases and hillsides. I was using a Nikon D2x with a 17-35mm, so had my hands full and one leg squeezing hard to secure my balance. The shot is the only record of that day capturing everyone and it wasn't long until some of them had passed on adding more value to the print. <br>

Funny, I had forgotten that day. Maybe because it was my wife's side...</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I often shoot from the box of my pickup truck and sometimes bring a small stepladder for that and other shots.</p>

<p>Amazing what a difference it makes to perspective and to impact in some images.</p>

<p>Related point about camera height: Now I am waiting for Sony (future NEX?) or another to bring out a moveable screen full frame camera body, so I can more easily make low down shots. First experience with that was photographing stray dogs in Portugal and sometimes small children from their height. Too many photos are made from adult standing position.</p>