Fog?

royall_berndt

Do the scans look foggy or is it the actual negatives that look fogged? As in, could it be underfixed? When scanned, underfixed negs look fogged. FWIW, if the film was refrigerated, a few years shouldn't get much fog (if any) on most Ilford films. ISO3200 will be visibly fogged a year or two out of date, but I've had normal looking rolls from HP5+ and Delta 5 years out.

Room temperature age fog should be low for ISO 400 films at 10 years.

Mostly notice it as white spots in what should be black (in the positive/print).

This is TMax 3200 (TMZ) about 20 years at room temperature, EI 3200, and maybe underexposed, besides.

As above, it could also be underfixing. Both age and underfixing emphasize the larger grains.

You don't say which ISO 400 film, but hexagonal grain films need more fixing than cubic grain, so that could also the the reason.

TMZ002AA013.thumb.jpg.6e6972fb3f002e80867f3ccc2c68670e.jpg

-- glen

Any chance you can take a picture of the negatives themselves, edges and all, against a white light? A light box or white computer screen would work. I'm unclear from the photo in post #11 exactly what you mean by fog. If you mean that the boy is fuzzier than the rest, that's just because of lack of depth of field - the background is in focus and the boy is not.

Well, well, well. I studied the roll. Besides the general fogging, not one main subject is in acceptable focus. In some shots, nothing is in focus! We are probably looking at a combination of factors. Damn if I use that camera again. (It's a Contaflex II from the 1950s. I just bought it used.)

• 2 weeks later...