expired d76

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by bruce_erickson|1, May 5, 2013.

1. I have an un-opened package of Kodak d-76 developer (powder)-- makes 1 liter, stock. The expiration date is 2011 - 10. (I guess that means October, 2011.) Am wondering if it is still good.

2. SCL

SCL

As long as no moisture has gotten into the package, it will be fine.

3. If it is clear when mixed it is OK ,if it is brown it is bad.
    Chris

4. (I do not know why there is a double post.) I did not know about the "brown" test. So, I will use the developer if it passes the test. Thanks.

5. Bruce,
    Kodak D76 powder is white. When mixed with water it is cloudy and as you stir/mix the solution it will clear as all particles dissolve. If the package has been contaminated or it very old ,the powder will be grey or brown and the solution will be tan or brown liquid depending on how old or contaminated it is. The plastic envelopes suffer less than the paper envelopes.
    Chris

6. Powdered chemicals have a shelf life of years before mixed. Didn't know they even printed an expiration date on them. I would not considered 2011 expired at all.

7. Agree. As I haven`t noticed any difference, I only buy expired D76.

8. I called Kodak some time ago about the same thing, and actually got someone that was knowledgeable and very helpful! He said that as long as it wasn't opened or exposed to extreme conditions it would work fine.

9. I have had unopened paper/foil packages go bad. The powder is a little brown, and when mixed very dark brown. Or, slightly brown and work just fine.
    Not so long ago, there was an E2 chemical set on eBay. I was wondering how well that would work. I believe it was all in cans. Then again, there isn't much E2 film around to use it on!

10. On the older paper packages check the corners, they sometimes fail. I have tossed 9 packages of Dektol because of this. The last 2 gallons of D76 that I have used were purchased in 1991 according to what a previous owner had written on the package. Both worked just fine. The Dektol, on the other hand, was quite brown and mixed up looking like Coca Cola.
    Here is a picture on my flickr stream of what to look for.

11. Like Clay, I brought a package of D76 with me to Europe bought circa 1988 and I finally mixed it 2008. It was just fine.

12. Phew...pleased to hear that the powdered stuff will last a long time. I have some stuff over 15 years old which I bought up on sale and now in the process of (finally) building myself a darkroom. Looks like most of it will get used.

13. 9 years after the last post I just want to say today I mixed a gallon of D76 that expired 8 years ago. The powder was white and the solution went clear quick. I have full confidence it is just fine.

luis triguez likes this.
  14. That only tells us that it dissolved nicely. Report how it works as developer, and then we'll know whether it is fine or not.

15. Worked just fine qg.

16. Someday soon I am going to mix up some old D-67.

I am not so sure how old it is, but it is from the Direct Positive Film Developing
    Outfit, the original one not the newer TMax version. (I believe the newer
    one uses D-96 or something like that.)

I did one time mix a sealed foil pack of Dektol, with brown powder and
    got brown liquid. I think I threw it away without trying it.

17. D-67? Is that the pre-mixed version of D-76?

Most of the chemicals in D-76 last 'forever'... except for the Metol that will turn pink or brown with oxidation over a long time. If the powders are all white, or no darker than pale cream, then the stuff should be fine.

Kodak packed some of the sulphite along with the Metol and Hydroquinone in the smaller part to prevent oxidation. So I reckon a storage life of 20 years isn't that harmful, in cool, dry conditions.

18. It seems that D-67 is the first developer for the original Direct Positive outfit.

The redeveloper is very strange, with a chemical fogging agent that is not so stable.
    To develop two rolls with one batch, you have to mix it while the first roll is developing.

The TMax and recent reversal movie films use D-96 for first developer.

19. My bad Glen. I thought D-67 must've been a typo.

Anyway, basically the same goes for the colour of the chemicals - White's alright; brown's thumbs down.

20. I first knew D-76 when I was about 10, and have always wondered about all the other numbers.

I had (and still have) Kodak's "Processing chemicals and formulas", which mentions
    D-8, D-11, D-19, D-23, D-25, D-52, D-61a, D-72, and D-76, along with DK-50 and DK-60a,
    but that still leaves a lot of numbers in the D series unfilled. And I still have no idea
    how the numbering works.