Changing computers?

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by david_henderson, Dec 28, 2021.

1. No one’s telling anyone else what they need.

And no one’s claiming that their old software is better than new software.

Some are simply saying they don’t need new software, and they’re saying that even if they don’t know what that new software offers. They are simply content as is, as long as they can get their old software to work.

“I think the point is you can't really form a meaningful opinion about a tool being better than an older tool if you've never seen or used the older and the newer tool.” —Barry

Barry, no one did that. That’s my only quarrel with you.

2. Samwise and Inoneye, Thanks! :) lol

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  3. david_henderson

david_henderson www.photography001.com

Just to try and resolve what some might need to know about how I use photographic software.

I currently have Photoshop CS5 64 bit and Lightroom 5. I had used earlier editions of both these tools before upgrading to these. I also make a little use of the NIK suite.

I bring new photographs ( all stills btw) onto my computer via Lightroom. The import process creates a DNG in a trip folder on an internal drive, and a CR2 on a back-up folder on an external HDD

I review all new images in Lightroom and decide whether I'm going to keep it. I dump probably 40% of what I take at this stage. I may well make some adjustment to the image to decide. The vast majority of those adjustments are made in Lightroom. Occasionally I'll use the "edit in" process to transfer an image into Photoshop or NIK to adjust & return the result to LR. My LR folders are organised by trip and date and by which of two internal HDD the originals sit-2007-2014 on one drive, 2015 onwards an another. Those I consider the best images are colour coded in LR

If I'm going to use photographs for a presentation, to submit to a stock agency( much rarer these days); for my website; for a self-published book, or to have a print made I will copy the candidate/selected photographs from LR to Photoshop as Tiff or jpeg. and make further adjustments there, normally to fine tune. They are finished according to the purpose Occasionally depending on destination I'll soft proof in Photoshop. These "adjusted for purpose" images are kept in sub-folders of the trip folders on the internal HDD where the dng sit. These sub folders are my first port of call if I need to make further use of these images. If I want more images, different images, or to treat photographs differently I'll go back to the LR folder and re-export before fine -tuning in Photoshop/NIK

Editing for me primarily means changes to colour, contrast, size, cropping ( many of my final images are square) selection ( normally the clunky quick selection tool in CS5) using potentially a range of tools. In Nik the majority of use is the Tonal Control tool within Efex. I don't ( probably to my detriment ), get into masking or combining images at all. Maybe that'll be simpler with updated software ?

A final couple of points. First this is a short, paraphrased description of what I do. It works for me, by & large, but I'm not trying to promote it to others and I'm totally prepared to accept that what I do is suboptimal, and that if I used updated software I might well do more in LR and less in Photoshop. The reality is sometimes a little more complicated but I don't want to write a book here , just provide a bit of a clue to those who want to know in order to advise me.

And I do understand that today's LR and Photoshop will be improved vs what I've got. Maybe that will provide an incentive to try new things- I'm a bit stuck in the mud and frankly just grateful that I can do what I now do without things going wrong- produce decent books on Blurb, make the odd print that has a passing resemblance to what I get on screen, run a website that gets some viewings, and have a few thousand images with agencies albeit that I don't take pictures of young people using cellphones and get paid peanuts now.

Thanks again for your inputs

5. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

CS5 was released in 2010. The selection tools and that functionality alone has massively changed for the better. (Yes I've said that Sam; I've used both versions of the tools. Have actual experience.)
    LR5 was released in 2013: ditto.
    9-12 years in software development is also a massively long time. Time to review what's changed if you find just selection of image content tools clunky.

In both LR and ACR, Process Versions has been updated three times since 2010:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/process-versions.html
    Consider that on the rendering of all your raw data.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  6. Indeed. It's easy to find lists of the features added by version on the web. Wikipedia has them. While a lot of added features are things I don't use, quite a number of them are things I use all the time. It's worth looking.

7. I've only quickly browsed through this thread, so please forgive me If I repeat things that other people have already stated.

My personal position is that:
    • everyone who does anything online (including Photo.net) needs to be protected with both a real-time firewall and a virus/trojan scanner that are both updated regularly. My personal preference is for Norton; Perhaps the main risk of not having this kind of protection is 'ransomware': your device and files are encrypted and locked unless you pay a fee to 'unlock' them. The main thing I like about Norton is that it operates 'under water' (=non-intrusive) and updates are automatic in the background. My years ago, I used McCaffee but at that time, I got fed up with the pop-up ads for 'additional services''. I have no idea whether the McAfee services have such marketing these days. And there are of course many other online 'security providers'
    • everyone should - within their means - upgrade to recent versions of their software. Probably not always to the most recent version, especially if they don't benefit from the latest upgrade, But everyone should be aware of whether their software version is a) still supported and b) still upgradable.. It's often much cheaper to upgrade to a fairly recent version than from a really old version. This is especially true when upgrading from an old OS (W7) to a new OS (W10).

Back to the OP's question.:
    - the fact that you've backed up all your photo's to an external drive is IMHO Godsend!
    - I have absolutely no experience of this, but to me, the process would seem to me to be:
    • copy (some of your) images from your back-up drive to your hard drive; you may not need all you images directkly accessible via your hard drive
    • install Lightroom an PS on your new computer
    • import the 'completed' images into Lightroom
    • import the 'still needs work' images (one for one) into Photosho
    • Get used tour new (diigital) working environment
    Best wishes,

Mike​

8. david_henderson

To respond to Puntacolarado's question

No, because I already have dng's of these images on a HDD in the computer- or at least those I haven't deleted. The CR2 files are in my external HDD as back-up and I guess I knew that one of two things would happen

Either I'd migrate to the current versions of LR/Photoshop that would open them

or if I had a crash that affected that drive before I migrated, I could convert them as you describe.

9. But, you certainly can tell if does what you need done. It's not "better", it's just adequacy for purpose. I have tried PS 6, and found most of the "new" features were for things I wasn't doing anyway.

and bgelfand like this.
  10. david_henderson

I have tried PS 6, and found most of the "new" features were for things I wasn't doing anyway.

I agree that you can be kind of lazily content with what you have without trying new stuff. But for me I'd value more highly the views of someone who's tried a new toolkit than the opinions of someone who thinks they don't need to try because they're content. This latter is pretty much where I've been this last decade and maybe I should try to be more open to different/improved techniques . Couple of years back a good friend introduced me to some of the possibilities from Nik Efex ( which I'd bought but wasn't using) I guess I now use that on 25% of my work- not always as dramatically as it can go, but to an extent.

digitaldog likes this.
  11. Google YouTube videos on the new masking functionality (or any other new functionality) and see if it is for you.

But , please, do your own research as these bipartisan discussions help nobody.

bgelfand and digitaldog like this.
  12. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

And perhaps move to a forum with a bit more activity, for example:
    Kudos to LR/ACR on the "select sky" masking option

Ludmilla likes this.
  13. I enjoyed your website David good luck on putting together and putting to use your new system.

14. That theory got camera enthusiasts to buy a new camera every year or two because of some new dangled feature they don't have. Or need. These people are never satisfied and are just wasting their money. Their current camera does perfectly well for what they need it for There are also people here who have connections to companies and push their products to buyers who are unaware of the relationships.

15. What parts of Nik Efex do you find more helpful than LR?

16. Well, all I'll say is if you use masks and select portions of images and use layers, it may behoove one to at least look at the new ways of doing it compared to 2010 and decide if they need it or not.

digitaldog likes this.
  17. david_henderson

What parts of Nik Efex do you find more helpful than LR? Alan Klein

The only bits I actually use - pretty much Tonal control in Colour Efex and the b&w presets. Don't know whether I could get to the same points in my LR5 or not- but I know I can get there fast and in an easy to adjust format by skipping briefly into Nik. But bear in mind your LR might be more capable than my old software; or you might be better with it.

A fair question might be whether at the point of buying my Nik Suite ( which at the time was far from free) had I known what use I'd actually make of it , would I have gone ahead with it? Would I first have explored whether I could replicate the effects I use in Photoshop or Lightroom ? Not really a fair question in some senses because I bought the NIK suite because I was getting a firm impression that photographer friends were making good use of it, and without a firm aim in view.

18. No, it’s a tedious question. Instead of wondering around like a fart in a trance, why don’t you tell people what you actually want?

19. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

It's not a theory, that's another of your assumptions. Try if you can to stay on topic; NO ONE here has recommended nor admitted to your assumption above.

Another false assumption without a lick of data.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  20. digitaldog

digitaldog Andrew Rodney

This certainly is and not fair David:
    Alan's question is, as he has this odd repetitive habit of asking questions of others, when his posting history and agenda show/prove, he has no desire or ability to accept any answer. No need to ask but he does. Worse than a tedious question, a post hijack attempt seen daily on the LuLa forums. Now he's trying it here.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Ludmilla likes this.