Biggest impact on landscape photos?

<p>This will probably turn out to be a very subjective post, but- I have a big trip out to Utah planned this summer and I am looking forward to some of the landscape photo opportunities.</p>

<p>My question: In your opinion what made (makes) the largest impact on your landscape photos (not including lighting - which would obviously be first).</p>

<p>Megapixels<br>

Lens<br>

Polarizing Filter (vs none)<br>

FF vs Crop Frame<br>

Digital<br>

Film<br>

Other (specify)</p>

<p>Which one made the largest impact (noticeable when <strong>printed - not pixel peeping</strong> at not bigger than 11x14) on your photos?</p>

<p>Composition, which can include choice of lens to gain the best perspective on the shot. Thinking about which elements fit where, looking for something of foreground interest - and I'm afraid I can't leave out light - what time of day, what/where will the shadows fall, what color will the sky be? All very, very important considerations. </p>

<p>Oh yeah - you need megapixels, lenses, maybe a polarizing filter at the right time of day...and either digital or film to make it all work.</p>

<p>Lighting and composition are first, you need both and no order of preference.</p>

<p>Then you will need some of the items on your list, of which some are mutually exclusive. :)</p>

<p>You have too add an alarm clock to get you up at least 90 min before sunrise.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Several good quality plastic water bottles (not aluminum cheapies) and a pack to carry them...or at least 64 Oz of ludicrous "hydration system"<br>

Big brim hat<br>

Ankle high lightweight boots<br>

High SPF long-sleeve shirt and zip-short pants (Levis are bad news)<br>

Some strategy for dealing with high contrast<br>

A tolerance for same-old-same-old images or an alternative perspective, either way.</p>

<p>What Scott suggested - tripod. Landscape photography is among the few situations where I'll use a tripod. And a tilt/pan head. I like ball heads for speed but some can be fiddly for accurate alignment and leveling. The Bogen/Manfrotto 3028 Super 3D head is (was? dunno if it's still available new) an excellent value, if you don't need a geared head.</p>

<p>The largest impact has my state of mind. I like those landscape photos most which I took in a tranquil mood, that I come into most easily during a long walk. I seem to "understand" the landscape better, get a clearer idea of what the landscape means to me personally.</p>

<p>There is no single anything.</p>

<p>Everything is important.</p>

<p>You can't just decide after a Sunday lunch to go out and get a shot like the one below.</p>

<p>Well, maybe there is one. That your wife understands that you are a man on a mission and doesn't mind (too much) to stay home and look after the kids, whilst you are working your butt off.</p><div>00YvLf-371683584.thumb.jpg.1a3f47eb0af2b61e062ae6381a5a1c59.jpg</div>

<p>For me it is about feeling a connection to the landscape. So really that is in the same area as Stefan and Steve. There are some landscapes which are somehow inspiring one way or another - the energy of waves crashing onto racks, the colour of the light, the slow movement of water in wetlands, the sense of abandonment around worked out mines. If you can feel that then the other decisions kind of make themselves.</p>

The last time I was in Utah I was shooting film exclusively, so no Megapixels were involved.

Being in the right place at the right time.

Composition.

Being able to expose slide film accurately.

Camera stability.

Not running out of water.

<p>Composition. Sense of place and time. Imagination, to conceive something that has not been done (too often).</p>

<p>Equipment: Backpack. TRIPOD (light enough that you <em>will</em> carry it). Having a wide-angle lens is useful.</p>

<p>Generally in Utah I found the polarizer isn't particularly helpful, as in many spots the sky is already a deep blue during certain times of day (I tried with and without in Bryce Canyon and Zion, and found that time of day and natural lighting were much more important). Tripod and time on your hands...to make thoughtful shots. Water to keep you hydrated. Don't be in a hurry...think and rethink composition. Lastly, good hiking boots, as you will want to explore scenes for the most captivating shots, and sometimes the ankle support of boots is very helpful to get there and back.</p>

<p>First and foremost, being there (a derivative of Dan South's "being in the right place at the right time"). Landscape photography is a gestalt experience, and it all comes together in a way that makes us love landscape photography.</p>

<p>An Alarm clock.</p>

<p>Good maps.</p>

<p>A tripod.</p>

<p>Maybe a cable release.</p>

<p>Some books about where you are going so can develop an internal sense of place so you have at least in the back of your mind a reason beyond "that's pretty" for making your photos. If nothing else it'll be a jumping off point.</p>

<p>Patience to wait for the light to change if it is bad.</p>

<p>The sense to use the light you find to make a photograph you had not expected. </p>

<p>Digital over film because it makes it less expensive a frame by frame basis to play with ideas and impressions of the place. </p>

<p>The light, followed by composition; then technique including exposure & post processing, and good glass. Any DSLR from the past 4 years is gonna be more than adequate. A tripod/cable release can he helpful too depending on your exposure. Sometimes it can hinder as it WILL slow you down; which sometimes is good.<br /> <br />Digital v. film is entirely separate at small print sizes (11x14 inches or smaller).</p>

Subject matter seems to be the obvious answer and a tripod is the most important piece of equipment. But for me,

the most important part of the photo process is the previsualization and preparation. I'm not always the most creative

person and I'm definitely not lucky, so instead of relying on luck and hoping the light is perfect whenever I happen to

come across a photo location, I try to make my own luck. What I mean is I'll do research weeks before going on a trip

to find the best photo ops. Then I'll look at maps to see which direction the best vantage point will face so I can

determine whether sunrise or sunset will give me a better chance at good light. Then I map out my route and

calculate traveling time so I will know what time to set my alarm. Theres 10x more planning than actual shooting, and

for me, this is the most important component to getting good landscapes.