Got my first roll of true B&W back from the lab...

sanjay_chugh1

I don't have a question, and don't know is this is the correct forum

but I just wanted to share my joy in receiving my first role of B&W

back from the lab. I had previously shot a couple of roles of the

Kodak C-41 B&W film, which although interesting didn't really excite

me too much. All I could think was OK, this is like GrayScale. Finally

I shot a role of Kodak Tri-X and got it back yesterday. The results

were awesome, even though I was just playing around and didn't shoot

anything serious. Even though I have seen B&W prints in books etc, I

was still taken quite by surprise just how wonderful B&W really is

when I saw my own prints. All I could say was "Now this is B&W!". I

have definitely found a reason to keep my Elan7 even if at sometime I

get a DSLR. I don't think I got this excited after shooting with my

Canon G2 digital camera I got a couple of months ago.

Now I just have to save up some money to build my own darkroom (I

certainly have the room), as the lab cost is quite prohibitive for B&W.

C41 b&W films are true b&w films. Minilabs print them on colour paper, they need to be printed on b&w paper.

Whether a traditional type b&w film or a C41 b&w film they both need to be hand printed to bring out the best.

If you are experianced at hand printing I would suggest you start with XP2 once you have the darkroom finnished. No matter how you expose it, it tends to print on grade 3. You can learn how to work out the correct exposure, dodge and burn without worrying out the contrast range. XP2 is a fine film, and it's very much real.

rather than being at the peak of a cycle and having to pay big dollars, B&W is not enjoyed or appreciated by many today.

meaning good B&W equipent and especially enlargers are being sold for pennies on the dollar. do buy a good brand that is complete

with all parts.

it will be you ability to see pictures first and take them that will give you the greatest satisfaction.

99% of the general public will say " oh it's bluuugh and white ug"

my daugher-in lAW REFUSED TO USE MY kONICA C-35 AS " ooooh you have to FOCUS it? " not for a trip but just for 2 or 3 photos at a graduation party. I had color film loaded, i can only guess what she would have said if i had told her is was B&W.

just ignore them and do your own thing.

lots of plastic and glass items from the kitchen dept can make setting up a darkroom cost less. just don't let them be used for food aftarwards! ever.

one of the most whacko things about B&W photography is the cost of chemicals. a gallon size costs twice what a quart size costs.

i copied a article " spoon up a savings" to divide gallon size packages to make just what you need.

I have to second that Walter, I have had people call me a hippie when I say I shoot black and white and tell me "I'm behind the times" or "why don't you shoot colour?". I believe that among the general public there is a lack of respect for black and white and I believe that many people view it as being inferior to colour. That really disgusts me, same kind of thing applies to manual focus cameras, most people seem to think they are out-of-date (excluding photographers and people who actually care). Just interesting how a lot of people seem to think that. On the other hand though I have met people who seem to think that black & white is the most mystical and cool idea ever (which it is;-) ) and seem impressed by the ability to process it. It just goes to show the range of people out there.

Best wishes,

--Dominic

I agree with Gareth, I got one roll printed on color paper and another sent out, and printed on black and white. The Kodak C41 printed on b/w paper looked identicle to any other RC printed B/W I have seen, albeit a little contrasty.

I do think that this film is a little more contrasty, but I have never done an objective test nor have I printed it myself. It could be a zillion other factors, including just a contrasty situation...

I'd think the results of printing it on VC paper would be a little strange and hard to control with the amber mask if no filter is used, what do you others think? Graded paper shouldn't be a problem other than added exposure time (right?)

Still, Sanjay, build that darkroom! To process your own film atleast is really easy and cheap and anyone can do it in just about any living situation. All you need is a blacked out closet and a sink. True b/w is a lot less expensive than color.

;o)

amazing isn't it!? Tri-X is great film. And lucky you to find a lab that does it right. You should find out what film developer they use, and at least start with that yourself...seeing as you like the look. Developer can radically change the look of b&w film, and its really what you like as to what developer you will eventually settle with (if you ever do.....i still experiment with dif ones)

have fun

>>>>>>> Now I just have to save up some money to build my own darkroom (I

certainly have the room)

A lot of people wait for money, room or whatever to set up a darkroom. Why

don't they go half-way first? You don't need a darkroom to develop film. All

you need is a temporarly dark spot (a bathroom always works) and about one

square feet of counter space. For well under $100 you get everything that's

needed and enough chemicals to process a few dozen rolls. Start there,

there's nothing to actually set up... printing is a whole (well, not so) different

story.

Welcome aboard!

But you can set up to develop your own b+w film (which is the recommended route) at very little cost. A changing-bag will obviate the (immediate) need for a darkroom. Then all you need is a daylight tank and reels (e.g. Paterson), a couple of graduated cylinders and a thermometer. From stepping into my darkroom I can have the film(s) in the tank, processed and into the dryer within 45 minutes. And I use Rodinal developer, one of whose virtues is its economy. (At 1:50 dilution it costs about 10p (15 cents) per film).

As to economy: The equipment for negative development is pretty cheap and developing yourself saves money and gives you a lot of creative control so I'd buy this. Equipment for printing yourself is much more expensive, so I'd try to look for a publicly accessible darkroom in a community college or photo club to check out how this works for you before taking the plunge and buy all the stuff yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

walter degroot , nov 28, 2003; 02:24 p.m.

rather than being at the peak of a cycle and having to pay big dollars, B&W is not enjoyed or appreciated by many today. meaning good B&W equipent and especially enlargers are being sold for pennies on the dollar. do buy a good brand that is complete with all parts.

If it was not enjoyed and appreciated by as many today why is this forum here? I have a theory here.... Digital is In and defiantely taking over. It will go on and on and on Everybody and there sister is gonna have a digital camera. Heck, they are now in cell phones. Eventually they will peak, 5, 10, 30 years down the road people will "remember" the B&W photographer and wonder where they went to. That will be our renaissance our golden age. Enlargers are cheap, yeah, but, they are getting more scarce. When plasma tv's can be bought for pennys on the dollar enlargers, like Edison phonographs will be expensive. Our prints... they will be worth thousands. A TRUE black and white photographer will be paid excessively because of their scarcety. Familys will want a 11x14 print of them matted and framed in the front room to show off to all their friends. Maybe I am outta line here, maybe it is my personal dream, but it feels to me like it will happen. How much would you pay for you oil painting portrait? Or an original oil painting in general?