Lens addiction -- who has it?

jay dougherty

Decide up front whether to buy cheap glass that you'll want to replace at a loss later on.

Decide just how much quality you're willing to sacrifice by buying cheap zooms (or even some cheap primes).

Decide what you're going to shoot and don't set an expectation that lenses for a wedding will allow you to shoot wildlife (except at a petting zoo).

Realize that just buying another lens, no matter how good, will not make you a better photographer.

Most importantly, carry every single lens you have whenever you take your system out. That should cure you fast.

In other words, learn to buy/take only what you need. Why buy something that's gonna sit and gather dust? If your sightseeing with the family and have only a 28-105 and are agonizing 'cause you missed a once-in-a-lifetime shot that required that 400/2.8 in your closet, you're hopeless. Unless you're a handful of working pros whose life is photography (I'm talking Nobel-level here) or you define yourself relative to photography and nothing else, any given shot is most likely not worth the hassle/expense/waste of having too many lenses.

EF: "I'm Eric and ... and I ... have a lens-buying problem. I bought my last lens ... just last week." (sobbing sounds)

Lensaholics Anonymous Group in unison: "Hi, Eric!"

Not that it helps with the buying problem, but look in your equipment storage cases (I'm down three large Pelican cases- a real breakthrough for me) a few times per year. If there are lenses you haven't used, give some realistic thought to whether you will ever use them. If not, sell them.

"Most importantly, carry every single lens you have whenever you take your system out. That should cure you fast. "

I hear that!!! My Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 is heavy enough on my Maxxum 7 and 5600hs flash. During my vacation, it was so humid that I gave up the versatility and went for the lightweight option. I used my 50mm almost all of the time. I now find that I use my 100macro or 50mm almost exclusively. I'm thinking of using primes from now because of 1) lighter weight, 2) lower used price and 3) better quality.

As far as the addiction goes, my wife makes sure that I have only an addiction to fantasizing about buying them and not an addiction to buying them. :-)

My cure for lens addiction was to go with Zeiss. There are a number of reasons:

1) there aren't that many to lust after anyway!

2) for those that you DO lust after, you know you will NEVER be able to afford so...FORGET IT!!

3) You eventually have to learn to be happy with what you have got and know that you will never have the sexy and glamorous ones...Hey, dating and marriage is like that!

I hear you guys!

I too want better lenses all the time and,(blush) seem to take more test shots than real photo's.<br>My obsession was triggered by owning a VERY bad lens for quite a few years when i couldn't afford anything better.

I have a slight advantage in that i don't mind 2nd hand or even repairing lenses.It really helps being stingey,LOL!

<br>In fact i got so involved with buying old lenses to try and resell,i have MADE money over the last year.<br>I now have several very good lenses including one truly great one (EF100macro i got cheap because the focus drive gear is wallabyted[not quite rooted-bad oz humour)

<br>

I do still lust after the better nikor lenses,purely for their looks/build quality,but.....there's NO way of getting those cheap.

<br>So next up i 'need' a DSLR to get the most out of my lenses............

My cure:

1) Buy old, manual focus bodies only

2) Buy all the lenses I want for them - only 2nd hand, and only at great prices on ebay. That way, they are VERY cheap.

3) If I don't use the lens more than a couple of times after owning it for a while, I sell it at break even or perhaps a slight profit.

At this point, my Nikon MF stable includes the following lenses:

17mm f3.5 Tokina, in AIS mount (paid around $140 for it)

20mm f2.8 Nikkor AI (paid $230 for it, and I might sell it soon, as I don't seem to use it as much as the Tokina above)

28mm Kiron f2.0 AIS (paid $50 for it, and it's great)

35mm Nikkor f2.0 (aftermarket AI'd - Paid $60 for it)

50mm Nikkor f1.8 AI (paid $39 for it)

55mm Micro-Nikkor f3.5 (aftermarket AI'd - paid $60 for it)

90mm Tamron SP f2.5 Macro (paid $120 for it)

105mm Nikkor f2.5 AI (Paid $99 for it, and it's my favorite lens)

180mm Nikkor f2.8 AI (Paid $130 for it)

300mm Nikkor-H f4.5 (aftermarket AI'd, paid $89 for it)

500mm Soligor C/D f8 mirror lens (paid $60 for it)

35-85mm Vivitar Series 1 f2.8 AI (Paid $70 for this GREAT lens)

70-210mm Vivitar Series 1 f3.5 (aftermarket AI'd paid $35 for it)

OK, this was my first automatic deletion!

Earlier today I replied to this thread with a simple:

"Get married!"

I still do not see that replied. Sorry if I offended someone...

I thought I was being funny, and at the same time serious as starting a family helped my be more consious on spending...

Any way... I hope I did not upset anyone...

Both Keith and Dimitri I think hit the nail on the head. I'm currently hording 25 35mm and 3 medium (6X7) format lens. With the exception of a Pentax 200mm f4 macro (which I had to give my eye-teeth for) the rest of the lenses were 'afordable'. I've had my eye on several other lenses (shift, 15mm, fast 85, 400 f2.8 or maybe 600 f4), but my wife keeps me on an even keel.

I do occasional move up and sell the old equipment (like a regular 200 f4 A to the macro) but I find it hard to let them go go. I always seem to be able to justify holding on to them. Maybe I WILL have a use for that 24-40 f2.8-remember that dark sky last fall...

Last year I sat down and thought about what lenses I used most often and those that I never use at all. Of all 25 35mm lenses, only 3 had not been used in the last two years, and one was a gift that I really can't let go of because it is from my father (See how easy it is to justify?)

One word: E-Bay.

I'm sure I'm going rile some purists or dredge up wounds for someone who got a raw deal somewhere... BUT if you do your research and search often, there are great opportunities on auction sites. (Warning, not for compulsive gamblers.) Case in point: I just bought a 70-200 f/2.8 (canon eos) for $650. A bit of paint scratched off here and there but I shot three assignments this weekend and I'm 100% impressed.

My grandmother taught me to be a bargain shopper and the skills come in handy. First of all, do your research and know what a lens goes for at different levels of quality and useage. Secondly, check feedback. There are some swindlers out there but I've dealt with small photo dealers and pros upgrading and amatures who are going for the next big thing, all with equal success. Third, know what your spending limit is and wait, wait, wait for the right deal to come along. If you don't want to bother getting a cashier's check or the seller won't answer your questions, move on. Good things come to those who wait. Occasionally I'll be waiting for a good deal and eventually determine that I'm not as into the idea of a certain lens as I once was. I've had good luck buying "lots" or a collection of equipment where the one item I wanted was basically the price of the lot... and I got some extra stuff to play with.

And just like cleaning out your closet... if you haven't worn it in years and have no plans ot do so... there might be something to that. If you're sure you need it, buy a good quality item that will last a long time.

Wow Barbara, good deal. I've only had 1 lucky purchase on ebay, ever. I honestly think it's a sellers paradise and I am CONSTANTLY seeing stuff going for far more than it's worth, at least more than what you would pay for it at KEH. I guess it is still possible to find the really awesome deal, but it took me three weeks before I found a reasonable (i.e. actual market value) buy-it-now on a 50mm lens for another friend as a gift. Three weeks! Most ebay sellers are aware that there are a ton of people out there that either don't know what the true worth of the stuff they are bidding on, or they hope for the feeding frenzy from those who get a charge from the bid wars. If you have any ebay secrets, feel free to share. :)

<P>eBay has certainly changed my attitude to buying lenses. I generally buy second-hand. I know that if I buy a lens and don't use it, I can sell it with no great loss (sometimes even a profit). As has been said, eBay is a sellers' market, provided you deal in the wellknown brands.</P><P>But then, reading back over what I've written, I'm obviously not an addict. I can give them up whenever I want...</P>

O.K. I'm addicted, prooved by owning a 1000mm mirror lens 3 frames in 5 years and 2nd 400mm f 6,3 not used yet during 4 years.

Cures: 1 use a Zoom every day. After 4 years it will wear out. Keep in mind that you'll have to replace your next zoom. So you'll maybe stick with cheaper ones.

2 carry the stuff by your self or bike. - The best argument against 400 f2,8 & Co.

3 Enjoy your holiday between tent and bike. This will make you discover tzhat neither Zeiss nor Leica improves the quality of your sleep... and you'll love your cheap No-names.

5 watch the photographic success of a unemployed friend and discover every hour spend for earning lenses keeps you away from photography.

I can't make you "clean" but can tell you my way of living with it.

Lens addiction is widespread to be sure. I've bought & sold plenty on eBay and in local secondhand stores, KEH and B&H, and I think I found the cure.

In a nutshell, the lens addiction thingy is hollow. Ultimately there's no satisfaction. The cure is to get addicted to the highest possible standards of creativity in whatever your specialty area is. Replace lens lust with creative challenge. Become hypercritical. In no time your bag will have half a dozen primes including a macro and you'll delete eBay off your favorites.

A friend of mine, who was hopelessly addicted, joined LA, or Lensaholics Anonymous, a 12 step program that stressed a trust in God, willpower, and the help of recovering peers. When taken over by an irresistable urge to buy a new lens, needed or not, he would call an assigned mentor who would rush overand get drunk with him while chain smoking all night. Worked every time!

Eric: There is an ebay buying secret:

Snipe bids only, and NEVER fall in love with a specific item, because there will just about ALWAYS be another one coming along very soon. If you ONLY bid at the last few seconds on items that are well undervalued, you will only get bargains. EVERY lens on the long list that I posted was an ebay purchase and almost all of them were last minute snipe bids (a couple were Buy Now bids that were posted at great prices - like my 105mm f2.5 Nikon AI). I'm sure that you will agree that those lenses were all bought at pretty good prices.

Thanks for the advice Doug. So far I've tended to stay away from ebay bidding, primarily due to the fact that there are so many lenses that end up selling very high. The best deal I've ever had on ebay was a $175 buy it now on a Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AIS. That was a good one. :) I guess I could stick around & attempt to follow specific items up until the last minute, but often it seems as if they're going to go for market value anyway.