Diafine in Canada

bob_mcbob

I'm looking for a place in Canada to buy Diafine and other slightly

less widely available chemicals from. I tried a few places like

Henry's and local photo stores, but didn't find anything (as I

expected). I'm not sure that importing from the US is a viable

option, because it would be very expensive, and probably illegal to

boot. I would really like to try out at least Diafine! Are there any

Canadians here who can help me out? Thanks!

<p>Last time I was in Leo's Cameras (Vancouver), they had one pack of Diafine. It was not thesize I bought recently in Seattle (1 litre each of solution A and B), but rather a larger size (~4 litres each...they called it a gallon, or something ;). For the quantity it was inexpensive... $47, I think.

</p>

<a href="http://www.leoscamera.com/">Leo's Camera</a>

FWIW, I've been hunting around myself (I'm in Ontario). I asked Adorama, they won't

ship to Canada, B&H just won't ship the stuff anywhere, but Porter's will ship to

Canada. But, I would expect the shipping cost to outweigh the benefit, so I'm just

using ol' D-76.

I'd be interested to hear what you find out.

what and how do they nick you when ylou import something like photo chems or camera accessories.

I thought we had open borders and all that/ I see CANADIAN

trucks down here all the time. we let all the other guys in.

nothing can go in to CANADA without duty?

what happens if visit your cousin on the other side of the lake and shop while there? is it a capital crime?

maybe i'm spoiled by people here crossing state borders to avoid sales taxes. and nothing being done about it.

I could see a country trying to protect it's " fledgling photo industry" but is there one in CA? we have no camera industry here

and everybody ships to the USA but i suppose they hit you on that. too.

It's not necessarily the *duty* that's the problem. Canada Customs will charge 15% Canadian sales tax on pretty much everything over $20 that I import from the US. I know some people can get more expensive items through, but they apparently love opening my packages and charging me money. It's a huge problem for me, because it means that almost everything I order will arrive several days late (they take their time), so express mail is totally useless. Not having a credit card, I have to be sitting there with exact cash when the postman comes, or I can't even get the package until the evening - my current postman has decided that Canada Post does not take personal cheques (which is a dubious statement at best, considering that I've paid for the past 10 items with them). I have to wonder what sort of legal footing they're on when they charge me Canadian sales tax on a used lens bought in another country. They even tried to tax the British kettle my grandmother sent me as a gift!

Well it's the same in the US. Just look at whats happening with the US online shops. They've agreed to start collecting taxes in return for not going to jail for not doing it in the past.

For small cheap items Fedex ground might be the best choice. They'll drop the item off and they bill you later. Still pay the taxes but none of this exact cash BS.

OTOH FotoChem is cheaper then I think any US supplier. No PST if you're outside Quebec. Lower shipping. Interesting colour stuff if you lean that way. Just his equipment is overpriced IMHO. But the chemicals are a good deal. The only better deals I've heard of involve buying 100lbs a time.

US Customs is just as bad as Canada Customs. Same stuff, different pile.

The issue is not the admissibility of photo chemicals into Canada. The issue is shipping them. The USPS will not ship many photo chemicals, such as hydroquinone, anywhere, including inside the USA. Couriers often won't either. I just ordered from Photographer's Formulary, and they would only send me hydroquinone by UPS to a UPS delivery centre in Williston, North Dakota, where I could go pick it up. I got everything else and just bought hydroquinone from fotochem in Montreal. I'll probably order future chemicals from him, too; his prices are decent and he is pretty fast in shipping the chemicals.

Diafine should be shippable because it's a mixed chemical (I got PF's version of Ansco 130 shipped and it contains hydroquinone, glycin, and metol). If not, perhaps consider a quick day trip to the nearest US city and buy it there, or have it shipped there general delivery a week or two before you go.

I have some Diafine here that a friend gave me, so obviously at some point someone imported it into Canada.

• 5 years later...

I just ordered a batch (unicolor c-41) from freestyle and it came accross the border fine. From them, most powders make it no probs. I also ordered som R3 HS and LS developer (liquid) from them and suprisingly I also got it. However, the C-41 kit cost almost double with shipping. The product was 58ish (4x1l kits) and the total was 97ish. The USPS invoice on the side said it was $20 packaging. I think some dealers just don't want to, and some what to grab a quick buck.

I would think you could get Diafine from them, at least while you look for a Canadian distributor. Me, I bought the 4 c-41 kits to tie me over to find a Canadian distributor too.

I live in Montreal and I never thought I would have issues with supplies when I moved here. Suprise...lol