iCloud ?

Lately I have been getting emails on my computer at home, text messages on my phone and notifications on my iPad that my iCloud storage is almost full !! To upgrade to an additional 200GB, I will need to pay $2.99 per month. The thing is, I don't remember ever subscribing to iCloud ? Actually I'm not too crazy about having my images stored where who knows who has access to them. I purchsed my iPad with 256GB extra storage. I had to pay to get this extra storage, it wasn't free. Right now I have about  200GB of free space on my hard drive. If I need more space, I can delete some of my photo albums, but 200GB is plenty(case closed). Another thing, is that I'm not sure how to access my images that have been supposedly stored on iCloud ?  Is iCloud really neccessary ? What is the big deal about iCloud ?

Edited by hjoseph7

I am no expert on all things Apple, but I will try.  I simply use iCloud to back up my Apple devices if they are lost, damaged, or get sucked out of an aircraft plug door when it blows out at 16,000 feet.  The backup includes all data and photos on my devices.  I managed to fit the backup of my 3 Apple devices on their 50 gb plan, which costs $0.99 per month.  You can also decide what data you want backed up, and toggle the switch to not back up your photos on iCloud. 

I don't do much with iCloud except for data backup.  Occasionally, I will get on the account using a Windows 11 machine and download photos onto my hard drive in order to load them in Lightroom.  They don't make it that easy, since I want to get full resolution files, without any Live View data to muck things up.  

Some minimal amount of iCloud storage automagically comes with iOS on an iPad or iPhone. As you have noted, that mysteriously filled up in a year or so for me.  I opted for the 50 GB plan for a while, then went with the 200 GB. I figured it was worth it to avoid spending the time to sort out the usage. I do not save photos or videos; I have used iCloud to transfer files between my iPad and my Windows desktop,

As Ken notes, you can configure what's saved. I do find it handy to have contacts and calendar shared between the Pad and the Phone.

I’m using an iPad right now, have an I phone and three Mac computers. I have never signed up or paid for I cloud storage and don’t plan to but apparently I’m about to run out of space every few months. At some point I expect to be threatened with falling off the edge of our flat planet. One is as likely as the other….

Rick H.

• Like 1

If you are definitely not using icloud but have it because of the Apple devices insisting you need it, it can be turned off for photos and videos completely by turning off all the options. Go to Settings>Photos and turn off all the options. The device will warn you that you're about to destroy the universe as you know it, but basically it just stops devices from uploading to icloud every time you take a picture. Then log into icloud.com using your apple id, go to photos, and delete everything there. Again, the universe will end if you believe the messages, but it won't touch the photos on your devices. Having said that, you need a backup plan for those photos unless you're comfortable with losing them. It sounds as if you have that by putting the photos on your hard drive. There are useful instructions on this Apple page https://support.apple.com/en-ca/102179

Like others have said I use icloud to temporarily backup my photos I take on my iphone, then log ioto icloud and download them onto my Windows computer. I then delete them all on icloud regularly. It's like having a post office box for my pictures, and emptying it regularly.

Edited by David_Cavan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, David_Cavan said:

If you are definitely not using icloud but have it because of the Apple devices insisting you need it, it can be turned off for photos and videos completely by turning off all the options. Go to Settings>Photos and turn off all the options. The device will warn you that you're about to destroy the universe as you know it, but basically it just stops devices from uploading to icloud every time you take a picture. Then log into icloud.com using your apple id, go to photos, and delete everything there. Again, the universe will end if you believe the messages, but it won't touch the photos on your devices. Having said that, you need a backup plan for those photos unless you're comfortable with losing them. It sounds as if you have that by putting the photos on your hard drive. There are useful instructions on this Apple page https://support.apple.com/en-ca/102179

Like others have said I use icloud to temporarily backup my photos I take on my iphone, then log ioto icloud and download them onto my Windows computer. I then delete them all on icloud regularly. It's like having a post office box for my pictures, and emptying it regularly.

OK thanks, I'll try that. The whole thing seems like a shakedown to me ? 

You can also backup your Apple devices using iTunes and your computer for free (except for the value of your hard disk space).  For me, $.99 per month means that it is one more thing I don't have to think about.

My take:

Many suppliers (notably Apple but also Google (Android)) have 'default settings' that - without your knowledge - store all your device's 'data' in their section of 'the cloud' and when the 'introduction period' ends, try to charge you for more. The same applies to other 'storage apps' (for example Evernote).

The great advantage of 'cloud storage' is that your data (in the cloud) is usually synchronized between multiple devices. For example, everything I do on my mobile (Android) phone is immediately synchronized with the Chrome browser on my Laptop. And the other way around too.

But I deliberately choose not to have 'file storage' automatically backed up to (and synchronized with) 'the cloud'. I just prefer to choose my 'file backups' independently.

So my advice is to look more closely into the 'Apple Cloud' storage options and select only those that have value to you,

• Like 2

"

Posted April 19 (edited)

"Lately I have been getting emails on my computer at home, text messages on my phone and notifications on my iPad that my iCloud storage is almost full"

Before doing anything, I suggest examining those messages closely to make sure that they are actually from Apple and not some form of phishing.

If you have an iPhone or iPad, you can check how much space you have remaining in iCloud.

Edited by Monophoto

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Sandy Vongries said:

Simply, whatever is not in your personal possession is potentially at risk.  Backup drives are cheap and can even be shielded from EMP.

Indeed, but so is whatever is in your personal possession. the safest is to have one local backup in your personal possession and a second backup that isn't. In the old days, that meant a physical backup in a second location, but that's cumbersome. the alternative now is a second backup in the cloud.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 9:18 AM, mikemorrellNL said:

My take:

Many suppliers (notably Apple but also Google (Android)) have 'default settings' that - without your knowledge - store all your device's 'data' in their section of 'the cloud' and when the 'introduction period' ends, try to charge you for more. The same applies to other 'storage apps' (for example Evernote).

The great advantage of 'cloud storage' is that your data (in the cloud) is usually synchronized between multiple devices. For example, everything I do on my mobile (Android) phone is immediately synchronized with the Chrome browser on my Laptop. And the other way around too.

But I deliberately choose not to have 'file storage' automatically backed up to (and synchronized with) 'the cloud'. I just prefer to choose my 'file backups' independently.

So my advice is to look more closely into the 'Apple Cloud' storage options and select only those that have value to you,

I'm pretty much am an Apple user but You're right Michael, you have to watch their service charges carefully.  First of all the ebills don't describe the exact service you are charged for; just the amount with the description of "for Apple Sevices" which seems, if not illegal, should be in terms of consumer protection. If you don't pay attention you may suffer death by a million paper cuts.  

@hjoseph7 I am completely immersed in the Apple ecosystem, for better and worse, and I find the 5GB icloud storage you get for free when you set up your apple ID to be extremely useful as it allows you to work seamlessly across all units - and more importantly; it is not at all necessary to pay for extra storage, unless you need it for permanent backup.

Despite having used iphones, ipads and macbooks for the past 14 years, I haven't maxed out my free 5GB but I do recall at one point having to turn off automatic storage of photos in the cloud when I realised it was filling up quickly. I prefer having a more hands-on-approach to backup.

• As have been mentioned already, you can easily access your iCloud account through a normal internet browser at iCloud-dot-com - sign in with your apple id and browse around to see what is there, and delete unnecessary stuff.
  • To solve the problem long term, you'd have to simply disable use of iCloud on the app's that uploads large amounts of data.
  • You get the overview on your device by going to 'Settings', then tap '<Your Name>' at the top. Tap 'iCloud' and you can see and control the usage under the title "Apps using iCloud".
  • I would NOT recommend turning off 'Find My' as it improves your device security immensely.
  • Tapping 'Manage Account Storage' will give you an overview of how much the individual apps consume of iCloud space.

About suspicion on Apple using your personal data and photos on iCloud for developing AI.
Not without your explicit and informed consent - doing that without would be a huge reputational business risk that I doubt Apple would dare take. Besides, there are unlimited freely accessible photos on the open internet one could harvest data from without risk.

About being scammed to pay for storage one haven't ordered or being automatically charged.
I agree that it is very annoying being asked to pay to continue a behaviour one thought was free and I guess many may feel trapped when confronted with either adapting a new behaviour or paying a small monthly fee in order to continue the well established behaviour - I guess there is a class in business school with that theme.  

With that said, I do think iCloud storage can be very useful for many and therefore have legitimate value. I also don't think it is difficult to avoid paying if one don't think it has value.

I have never experienced Apple has charged for anything that I haven't explicitly ordered, even though they have my credit card details. For all purchases from Apple or the Appstore I receive legally valid fully specified invoices that comply with EU VAT laws.

Finally, without considering myself an Apple fan-boy (although my engagement in their eco system may suggest differently), I have personally stuck with Apple because their overarching business model is that of selling hardware/software/services to the end-user at a price they make money from -- as opposed to cheaply selling subsidised products/services and making the profit from collecting and selling personal information for advertising to third parties.

Niels

Not an Apple fan boy either, but I do like IOS for my phones and tablet.  As stated above, I have Apple's 50gb iCloud storage plan, of which about 24gb are currently used, so even if I eliminate the 7gb of photos, it would require that I incur considerably more brain damage in order to get down to the free 5gb of storage per Apple ID.  Apple doesn't automatically charge you for iCloud storage, but informs you that you do not have enough storage to backup your devices.

I get 2 invoices from Apple per month.  $0.99 for iCloud storage and $9.99 for Apple TV+, and both invoices are clearly indicated what they are for.  You can backup your Apple devices on your PC for free if you like, and then worry about backing up your PC (multiple hard drives with one in a separate location or cloud storage).  Getting EMP proof hard drives may be an idea, but since I live among 20 million people in the NY metro area, an EMP damaging my electronics would likely be the least of my worries from such an event.

20 hours ago, Niels - NHSN said:

With that said, I do think iCloud storage can be very useful for many and therefore have legitimate value. I also don't think it is difficult to avoid paying if one don't think it has value.

I have never experienced Apple has charged for anything that I haven't explicitly ordered, even though they have my credit card details. For all purchases from Apple or the Appstore I receive legally valid fully specified invoices that comply with EU VAT laws.

Finally, without considering myself an Apple fan-boy (although my engagement in their eco system may suggest differently), I have personally stuck with Apple because their overarching business model is that of selling hardware/software/services to the end-user at a price they make money from -- as opposed to cheaply selling subsidised products/services and making the profit from collecting and selling personal information for advertising to third parties.

I think the iCloud account is indeed very useful. For me it allows the find my phone app, which has been a life saver. I don't store photos and I have the minimum account that started for friend now charges .99 (99 cents) a month.  It is very useful for contacts and working type info across my devices.  I have not determined they are charging me for things I've not ordered, but it makes it difficult to be sure if they don't itemize what's on the bill, and you have to ask yourself why.

7 hours ago, httpwww.photo.netbarry said:

I have not determined they are charging me for things I've not ordered, but it makes it difficult to be sure if they don't itemize what's on the bill, and you have to ask yourself why.

Not sure what you are receiving from Apple, but this is what the email looks like for my iCloud payment.  I receive a similar but separate Email for the Apple TV+ payment:

iCloud+

dItemArtiCloud_64_2x.jpg iCloud+ with 50 GB of Storage
Monthly
Renews May 17, 2024
$0.99

TOTAL  

$0.99

So it turns out that things I purchase and pay for by card does generate a complete invoice with the product described, (sorry Tim I hope you can forgive me!), but for renewing services that I have on automatic payment on PayPal, all I get is an amount and "Apple services).  I'mnot going to provide a copy because their's some account and bank info I don't want to spend a bunch of time redacting.  And those are invoices for Apple TV and the .99 for iCloud..  That seems to hold true for anything from Apple I paid for via PayPal. So perhaps it's a PayPal thing.