4 hours ago, Mark Keefer said:

Here is a blast from the past. How it used to be. LINK

That was funny! I do remember having to get flash bulbs but I don't think I had a camera that used a flash cube. The Kodak that I had in high school took roll film of some sort, maybe about 1.5" square. I still have some of the negatives. 

8 minutes ago, ajkocu said:

That was funny! I do remember having to get flash bulbs but I don't think I had a camera that used a flash cube. The Kodak that I had in high school took roll film of some sort, maybe about 1.5" square. I still have some of the negatives. 

The concept of having to buy a new bulb for every photo shot is pretty crazy in today's thinking. One step more advanced than flash powder. I remember 400 ISA film was pretty cutting edge, and then the concept of pushing the ISA in the 1970s and telling them to push the ISA in developing. And now using today's cameras, we have come a long way. I just posted a shot in Canon Photo Thursday, shooting with no flash and ISO 32000. 

• Like 2
Cheers, Mark

I can recall in High School as "Photo Editor" for the Yearbook using Dad's Leica M3 with "candlestick" Leica flash for some events.  Fresh bulbs in the right sport jacket pocket, used in the left (No more than a dozen total!).  #6 FP for focal plane shutter, and not small.  Strange as it may seem, I still have a few sleeves of 5B & 6.  No batteries I can find for the old Leica flash.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Mark Keefer said:

flash bulbs were the pits, and so many different types

here are just a few of the connectors needed......

https//photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00Paoc

image.png

• Like 2

I remember using a flash cube. Perhaps on an Argus? I also remember removing the plastic "cube" and the reflective material plastic inside, leaving the bulbs. When I used the modified flash on my camera, all four bulbs fired at once, leaving a singed patch of hair where my bangs used to be.

Brilliant idea #1534.

• Like 4
Test

On 4/17/2024 at 5:43 PM, Mark Keefer said:

You can still find these flash cubes on eBay believe it or not. My family album is filled with pictures taken with these flash cubes... 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mark Keefer said:

Is that June Lockhart doing that commercial?

I don’t think so.  At that time period I believe June was a little ‘longer in the tooth’ than that young model. 

Here's June Lockhart at 40, in 1965, from the first episode of Lost in Space. Right, the actress in the ad is not June Lockhart.

And, speaking of "isn't it wild", we would watch Lost in Space on our black and white tv with either my brother or me standing at the tv adjusting the rabbit ears or holding them steadily so we'd get a decent signal. Meanwhile Mom, our very own version of June Lockhart, lol, would be standing in the kitchen, talking on the phone that hung on the wall, trying not to get herself wrapped up in the long coil cord attached to it. She probably had some TV dinners in the oven for us, our mouths watering for the cherry gelatinous dessert to follow the turkey and stuffing!

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"