Inherited camera

A friend of mine just inherited her grandad’s camera. It’s a Minolta 7000 Maxxum 35mm. Looks to me like a later SLR film camera? 
she got I think 2 lenses with it, 

Anyway this looks like it has a bunch of electronics. Im wondering if anyone is familiar with this model? If so can you please explain any nuances or offer tips & suggestions about using it? 

Shes not a noob to photography but is new to manual film cameras. Asked her send pic of the lenses as well, haven’t gotten them yet. The lens shown seems to be a Sigma zoom of some sort tho. 

Thanks everyone!

Tom

IMG_1511.thumb.jpeg.26b07e9060542a8e5b0336d7c2a07b91.jpeg

IMG_1512.thumb.jpeg.2ff8fe78f4af79d033ffa5083c31dca9.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes like others have recommended. Just read the manual. The 7000 was the first Minolta autofocus camera and in no way it's a manual camera although it can be used in manual just like most of the digital cameras nowaday.

I had the Minolta Maxxum 7000i, which was a later iteration of the 7000. It was a great camera for its day.

It even had a mind of its own. Once while crossing a wet log with the camera out, I slipped, and the camera went into the water briefly. When I recovered it, the LCD displayed, "help me."

It recovered uneventfully without my help.

• Like 1
Test

This was my first AF film camera. I think it only had 3 focusing points. I purchased mine Used back in 1998, so once in a while it would skip a couple of frames. Other than that, this camera took some great pictures. The AF was pretty good for it's time, even better was the dead-on exposures... 

• Like 1

When my early 1970's Nikomat FTN began developing some problems in the mid-80s, I bought the then newly introduced Minolta 7000 Maxxum on the advise of a friend who was a Minolta fan. Used it consistently for over 15 years with very good results and basically no issues before gradually switching over to digital. There was an initial learning curve getting used to the automatic functions of the 7000, but eventually they became second nature and I found the camera very easy to use. One of the earliest lessons I learned the hard way was to keep the battery charged, something that would not have prevented the Nikon from functioning. 

Best tip from me would be to start running film through it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jon Eckman said:

When my early 1970's Nikomat FTN began developing some problems in the mid-80s, I bought the then newly introduced Minolta 7000 Maxxum on the advise of a friend who was a Minolta fan. Used it consistently for over 15 years with very good results and basically no issues before gradually switching over to digital. There was an initial learning curve getting used to the automatic functions of the 7000, but eventually they became second nature and I found the camera very easy to use. One of the earliest lessons I learned the hard way was to keep the battery charged, something that would not have prevented the Nikon from functioning. 

Best tip from me would be to start running film through it. 

Really you use rechargeable batteries in the Maxxum 7000?