Sony - First 'Global' Shutter !

The real question is:  how badly do you need it?  I would love to have higher sync speeds  once in a while, but not for that price once you include duplicating my extensive lens collection in Pentax K mount.

I don't know why people are getting so excited by this. I think the article's title is foolish and misleading. A global shutter will change photography for a very, very small subset of photographers, and for them, this is a big deal. For the rest of us, it provides no benefit at all and exacts a price in other aspects of image quality. I have zero use for a global shutter, and while I know a lot of photographers, I can't think of one who would benefit from this. For people who photograph car races and the like, maybe. And if you read about this, you'll see that Sony had to make other compromises to accomplish this. Bottom line is that if this were offered as an option for the camera I recently bought, I wouldn't have bought it.

Remember what Ansel Adams said: the most important piece of photographic equipment is the 12 inches behind the viewfinder.

I am all for getting rid of the mechanical shutter but I don't really feel I would need the global shutter.

An electronic, non-global shutter can create rolling shutter artifacts when the subject is fast moving. The point of the global shutter is to allow a fully electronic shutter without rolling shutter artifacts. I don't have this problem, but it can be avoided by using electronic first curtain shutter, which is fast enough for anything I do. See https://photographylife.com/mechanical-electronic-shutter-efcs

• Like 1

I'd never heard of a 'global shutter' , so thanks for the link, @hjoseph7! When I watched the linked video "Sony Just Changed Photography Forever", my immediate reaction was 'Wow!' But I didn't fully understand how the technology might impact real-world photography and video photography. Via Google, I found multiple sources on a 'global shutter'. 

One of the (more well-balanced) sources I found helpful was the video below.

It seems like it will be a benefit to videographers/sports and news photogs.  No shutter shake when blasting out continuous exposures or shutter roll.  But I certainly don't need it. for fast panning video.  But not something I imagine most of us need.  Seems like it would cut out the cost of the shutter which is a big complicated mechanism cameras won't need I guess.