The Times Sues OpenAI and Microsoft Over A.I. Use of Copyrighted Work...

hjoseph7

Sitting at the Thanksgiving table last month and talking to my sister-in-law's cousin, who is a lawyer in reasonably large NYC law firm, we discussed the impact of AI.  His law firm uses AI extensively as a cost cutting aid and to enhance analysis of cases and testimony.  With respect to the inevitable copywrite infringement issues, he did not know how the law would settle this, or more likely, will need additional laws enacted in order to address these types of issues.  Certainly changes in the licensing agreement that users agree to when reading (or a computer scanning) NYT articles would also be likely.

Also found out that my doctor uses ChatGPT daily.  Says it's like having the most brilliant doctor sitting right next to you, unless it is having one of it's hallucinations. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ken Katz said:

Sitting at the Thanksgiving table last month and talking to my sister-in-law's cousin, who is a lawyer in reasonably large NYC law firm, we discussed the impact of AI.  His law firm uses AI extensively as a cost cutting aid and to enhance analysis of cases and testimony.  With respect to the inevitable copywrite infringement issues, he did not know how the law would settle this, or more likely, will need additional laws enacted in order to address these types of issues.  Certainly changes in the licensing agreement that users agree to when reading (or a computer scanning) NYT articles would also be likely.

Also found out that my doctor uses ChatGPT daily.  Says it's like having the most brilliant doctor sitting right next to you, unless it is having one of it's hallucinations. 

There's a recent case in Federal court where lawyers used AI in their moving papers and it came up with phony cases and assigned them to real and fictional judges.  The federal judge handling the case was not amused when opposing lawyers flagged the deception and made the lawyers write apology letters to the affected judges. 

Edited by AlanKlein