Getting back into photography as a hobby after more than 10 years away other than use of cameras and a drone for work. Please help.

richardl

Okay, beginners is probably not the right place but please point me where to go with this question. I need your help.

My background, 

I used to do this for the love of it. Then, An awful lot of rugby photography, got paid for it, had press passes and stopped because of a change in focus of my role within the sport, went into the "blazer" admin end of things for the last 10 years. My last camera used in anger was a canon eos 40d. I shot forever with that beauty. I then stopped, completely during the admin blazer phase. And I mean completely, nothing other than phone photos for my work as a civil engineer.

Was asked to do the video and photos for a pair of covid weddings (church and civil)  for my cousin 18 months ago and bought a 90d to do it. (Still had the glass and bits so basically a body upgrade) Have a dji mavic air 2, for work video records as a civil engineer.  Did both ceremonies, 1 photos, the second videos as there was a pro for that to take the stills. Both with the 90d. Some drone footage for that as well to add in to the final 90 minute wedding vid.

I now want to go back to my photos and maybe vid as a hobby but I'm freaked out and want to know how to regain my love for this. 

I am struggling to start, freaking out and I don't know why. I was an early paid sign up for this site, way back in the Philip days.

All I do now is take photos by phone and vids by drone recording stuff for work.

My question.

Please, where do I look for ideas to get my hobby mojo back.

The rugby I do from the admin side and don't want to go there for photos, been there done that, have the tee.

I need inspiration to kick-start love for this hobby, and I did love it. I want to love it again.

Thanks,

Richard

Please help.

Point me where to go, research, ideas, I'll put in a bit of time and then I'll go shoot something.

Suggestions:

1. I'm not sure whether you can research inspiration. But I have been inspired by reading about other artists, photographers, musicians, painters. It may not point you in a specific direction, but may get your juices flowing enough to get started. A book like Patti Smith's Just Kids got me in a good frame of mind. Many others.

1. Think of an interest or passion you have and photograph that. Don't limit it to "things". You can photograph feelings and ideas using things and situations as raw materials.

2. Look for subjects and situations that might otherwise seem uninteresting and challenge yourself to find an angle on them or a way to photograph them or time of day to photograph or weather conditions in which to photograph that might make them more photogenic than they originally seem.

3. Be sly. Outfox yourself.

• Excellent! 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Hi @richardl

I won't mention that I played Rugby for more than 20 years and that I still love iconic Rugby photos and vids. Oeps, I just did😞.

I completely agree with @samstevens. Put your camera away for awhile and open your senses to potential topics (locations, situations, feelings, ideas, people, enc) that somehow spark some kind of interest and empathy in you. Something that you feel is worthwhile photographing and gives you satisfaction. That is unlikely to be 'Rugby photos'! It has to be your choice, but there are thousands of photos still to be taken for (for example):

- social causes (UK and international)

- cultural events (UK and international)

- nature and ecology

- inner cities and poverty

- sporting events (other than Rugby)

- interviews with interesting and/or ordinary people

- etc.

Your 'inner source' of interest, curiosity and motivation is IMHO essential to maintain your longer term interest in photography .

But 'external sources' can also provide some inspiration. VIa Google, you can find some major photo exhibitions across the world,

Mike

Edited by mikemorrellNL
  • Excellent! 1

• 2 weeks later...

I too found that I had fallen into a slump--and puzzled about a bit to find a new footing.

For me, I found that finding a working foundation that was more interesting and comfortable was the key.  My trusty Nikon D-7100 no longer was comfortable to haul about and use--a product of rheumatoid arthritis.  I know after nearly 60 years of this there are no "magic bullets", but there are always more elegant solutions to simple issues.  For me, it took replacing my Nikon with a Fujifilm XT-5.  It was comfortable to hold and lighter than the Nikon--and mimicked the feel and handling of my old but beloved SLR Canon bodies.

I learned once again the satisfaction that comes with manual modes.  It was something that invited me to use a camera daily--and rethink my overall photographic interests and methods.  

This is not to say that this is a 'solution' to a path forward for you or many photographers.  But it got me to reexamine my practice, feel motivated, and get out to see what there was to see.

Here are some ideas for you to watch and mull over.  The link is YouTube search results for "becoming inspired in photography":

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=becoming+inspired+in+photography

There are plenty of differing opinions there.  Perhaps one of them might be inspirational and motivational!  🤔

• Excellent! 1

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

A change of venue can sometimes do the trick.  Go on a small vacation, preferably a 4-day weekend. It doesn't have to be at some exotic place overseas either. You would be surprised of whats available 20, 50 or 100+ miles away from your home.  Bring your gear with you especially the gear you are not familiar with or want to test.     

• Excellent! 1

14 minutes ago, AlanKlein said:

If you're not interested in it, why do you want to get back into it?  I'm confused. What is it you want it to do for you? 

I don't think that is what he was saying.  But you are right.  Finding purpose in something about the image-making ritual has to be upfront and ongoing.  Vision changes, as does approach.  I am scanning 120/220 strips from 20 years ago and I muse "What the hell was I thinking..."  🤔

image.jpeg.8822e02bbf7261b206e1c96527d2d9fa.jpeg

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

I lost interest in photography for 5-6 years… various reasons. When I picked a camera up again it was because of a nostalgic longing for the enjoyment of the process. Unfortunately for a long time it felt irretrievable, as if it had been played out. Gradually without a plan I found I had more to express. Unintentionally, just focusing on anything of interest is what worked for me.

Edited by inoneeye
  • Like 1
  • Very Nice 1
  • On Point 1

n e y e

On 1/8/2024 at 6:57 PM, inoneeye said:

I lost interest in photography for 5-6 years… various reasons. When I picked a camera up again it was because of a nostalgic longing for the enjoyment of the process. Unfortunately for a long time it felt irretrievable, as if it had been played out. Gradually without a plan I found I had more to express. Unintentionally, just focusing on anything of interest is what worked for me.

Very similar to what I went through. I didn't work at it too hard when it came back, changes in my personal life and the availability of new tools coupled with new tools got me started, and then I found some things that I wanted to get better at.  I don't consider the years off as a loss, more an opportunity for new reasons to get back into photography. Its now 20 years since that reboot, and the joy is still real.

• 1 month later...

This is my personal experience so may not apply. I suggest getting a comfortably lightweight camera and carry it everywhere you go. As you move about, think about framing: 1/3rd rules, and near, middle, distance areas. I think ANYTHING can be a subject of photography. You are trying to decide what you want to photograph, so think about it everywhere you go. Even if the image is not of an interesting subject, proper framing can be interesting in and of itself.

Second, with interchangeable lens cameras, pick a single focal length lens and go for a walk. Same idea, but let the focal length guide your efforts. An environment photographs differently with different focal length lenses. 

Third, remember the most important rule- most of the images are trash; throw them away. Don't fret over that either.

Maybe you will find what you like to photograph over time, or get back into the technical aspects of photography, including post processing. Maybe not.

Regards, RC

• Like 1

Force yourself to go out...preferably on a schedule. As to what to shoot...I found selecting a subject in advance and spending the outing shooting that subject usually resulted in some interesting keepers.  It was this discipline which helped me get back into photography. Some days it would be RR tracks, others fungus on branches, rocks washed up on the beach, birds,etc. etc.

• Like 1

2nd response:

Personally, my main interest in photography has always been 'people'. So I've (voluntarily) taken portraits of individuals, groups and events. But I'm in the same boat as you are. If someone asks me to (voluntarily) take some photo's, I do so and I enjoy it. But otherwise, I no longer feel an intrinsic motivation to go out and take (street, people) photos with my DSLR. Occasionally, I notice something that's interesting and take some photos on my mobile phone.

Music (tenor sax and more recently bass guitar) is now my main hobby and practicing takes up most of my time. So 'people photography' has become a 'craft' that I can still do adequately when called upon. At musical events, I still take my DSLR and 2 lenses along in the hope of capturing the 'emotion' of individuals or those playing together.

So, my first response remains valid, I think: experiment with what (still) motivates you to take photos and why. For me, it's primarily photographing the emotions of musicians at events. As a 'craft', I'm also interested in photographing individuals (portraits), groups and event participants. Your source of inspiration might well be completely different!

Mike