disappointed in consumer grade film scanners

On 10/28/2023 at 9:29 AM, ben_hutcherson said:

If shopping for one, my two small suggestion would be to look for an Ektagraphic and not a Carousel.

Thanks for the advice I see a couple of them selling on eBay. I had an old Kodak carousel projector that was in mint(pretty good) condition. Not sure what size lens was on it ?  It sat in my closet for years and years waiting for me to get back into film while the Digital revolution was roaring. Unfortunately, I left it in my Storage Unit after I could not find any room for it. It didn't help that I was no longer shooting slides, or film for that matter. I'm guessing that I would have to purchase a silver screen to project my images because a plain white wall would not do them justice ? What did you project your images to ?     

• 1 month later...

Optical digital printers use a scanning laser beam across the paper.

If you look at the data sheet for Fuji Crystal Archive, there is reciprocity data for microsecond to tens of seconds.

I suppose there is a lens in the laser system, but it only has to work well for a beam through the center.

Also common are dye sublimation printers, which as well as I know use tiny resistors (heaters) across the width of the paper.

No lens between the bits and the paper.

I still haven't been using it much, but I do still have my Kodak Carousel from years ago, along with a more recent 2.5 inch lens.

That an fill up a screen in a smaller room.

Otherwise, as noted, slides do look nice digitized and viewed on a large screen HDTV.

And negatives can be scanned and viewed, without the need for a print.

-- glen