Olympus OM2N shutter speed issue

Recently bought a used OM2N off eBay, had this weird issue.  With no battery, shutter fired at same speed regardless switch set to auto, manual or off.  B worked fine.  I thought without battery, only B works, all other speed should lock the mirror to up position.  Any chance to repair it? Or this camera is completely dead?

Get a free copy of the manual at www.butkus.org. He would like a $3 donation though to support all the camera manuals he scans to make available to the public. Then you don't have to think what is supposed to happen, you have it in writing.

Do yue see the exposure indicating needle moving in the finder, with batteries in? And does the battery check light come on? If not there's a problem with the power not getting through to the circuitry from the battery. Check that the contacts are clean, it's worth checking the batteries as well, new ones have been known to be faulty. Also there's a procedure for re-setting the camera which is explained in the manual.

I had an OM10 given to me as defective. It had allegedly never worked after it was dropped.  IT was some years ago.. so I don'T remember what it was doing.. but what John said; I swapped out what I thought were good batteries.. with new batteries.. seemed the dame until bumping the test switch gave a faint "peep". so I then I went after it a bit more. I think the mirror was stuck up. After a few more test fires. it finally went "Kerplop" and it'S been fine ever since! Do go after the batteries!! 

Thanks guys for all the replies. I moved the switch to reset position, red LED light turns on solid, and meter seems responding to light condition changes. It’s just shutter speed is same no matter which speed I dial it into, with or without battery, anbd mirror never locks up without battery.  Only B works as expected. 

You men tioned the B settings does lock the mirror up. What, if anything does the  mirror do when not on B Does it move to "up" when on B, but otherwise down?  You said it fires at what seems to be the same speed. Does the mirror move ? I susüpect what everr the default setting is.. ie when battery is dead .. may well be the flash setting too!

What I meant was regardless if there was battery or not, I can fire the shutter and mirror goes up and shutter curtain opens and closes, then mirror comes down, like regular taking photos, and shutter speed all sounds the same, and whether the switch is in auto, off or manual mode. Only exception is B speed setting, I can press shutter button and keep the shutter open as long as I want.

Let's see... Sorry for asking a stupid question, but what happens if you set the shutter at any given speed, and then keep the shutter button pressed? Does the camera goes through its normal working cycle, as you described, at an arbitrary speed, or does the shutter remains open? In the latter case, the camera is obviously always working in "B", which indicates a mechanical problem and would explain why this is the same with or without batteries. In the former case, the camera is probably always working in the flash mode. If so, with batteries you should see changes in aperture depending on conditions.

I'm afraid nothing of this is going to be of much help.

@bonsignore_ezio I think you probably is right, it's the former.  Without battery, any speed setting (except "B") will always finish the shutter release cycle, even if I hold the shutter release button down.  With the battery, shutter speed does change with the aperture change, for both manual and auto mode.  When switch to off, shutter speed stayed the same even when I changed apeture.  Definitely some kind of electrical issue, maybe in combination with mechanical issue.