Best 6x9 Folder

arthur_gottschalk

I think that depends on the individual sample and how it was treated during the past half century or longer.

Both manufactures made excellent cameras but also catering to a wide range of users with different pocket depth. For example; a Zeiss Ikon entry level camera I recently held (BOB 6x9) seemed a little flimsy in its folding/unfolding action while others I have handled felt more substantial.

It is also worth keeping in mind that the results from these cameras were mostly just contact printed, so the requirements for precision were not as high as say a Rolleiflex/Hasselblad or the 1970's Fujica 6X9s. 

I have had a few folders over the years but mostly stop using them after a short while when the novelty wears off. The results are rarely as good as I expected.
I suspect it is more often film flatness that causes problems rather than front standard parallelism, but I have admittedly not given it too much thought or attention. 

Niels

I have an Ercona II which I understand to be an East German Zeiss of some flavor. I find it to be pretty solid, the strut system for the front standard seems well designed. The Ercona takes quite respectable pictures and I assume the Zeiss Ikon(ta) would be very similar. It's in nice condition and I acquired it from Certo6, already CLA'd. I admit to not using it a lot, it is very strictly manual -- and at only 8 shots per roll it seems one spends considerable portion of his time reloading!

Compared with high end "system" cameras and such, most folders seem pretty fiddly and occasionally have some quirks such as a sunshade partially blocks the viewfinder and that sort of thing. Fitting filters reliably can occasionally be challenging. My Ercona has no rangefinder, but I do pretty well with estimate-and-set. One can also find small rangefinders to stick in the accessory shoe (yet more fiddling!)

I agree with Niels that one must factor in age and handling, that any given sample might not be anywhere near the way it left the factory after 50, 60, 70 years.

Edited by dave_thomas8
  • Like 1

I experimented with a 6x9 folder, but found it to be unwieldy in handling. I use a Super Ikonta B 6x6, and a 6x7 folder, which I find easier to handle than 6x9. ZI made the most robust lens erecting mechanism for folders, which is something to keep in mind when considering old cameras.

Hmm.  The OP asked which of two well-know pocketable folders was best.  Best implies at least three choices -- when comparing two items, better is the word to use -- so I'll toss two more hats into the ring.

2x3 Graphics are folding cameras.  I nominate the 2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic and 2x3 Crown Graphic/Century Graphic as joint title-holders even though pockets that will hold either are rare.  The Speed is preferable for slightly longer lenses and for lenses in barrel.  The Crown/Century (functionally equivalent) are much better for short lenses.  All are multi-format (accept 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 and 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 [6x9 in metric]) roll holders.  All accept a wide variety of lenses.  And all are very robust.

Folders can suffer from misalignment if they have worn side struts. Side struts on Zeiss Ikons wear where the two chrome pieces link together, which is where you push them to close the camera ... and if the struts are excessively worn, they won't lock the lens standard in place. I've owned two Ikons like that, I replaced a strut on one camera, and scrapped the other camera, both struts were worn beyond usefulness on that second one.

The way to avoid the problem is to buy Zeiss folders that are obviously in very good to excellent condition, which includes of course, spotless lens glass. The Tessar (4 element) is the common lens. The Novar (3 element) is plentiful but of lesser quality. You can get really good shots with the Tessar.

Focusing is not a problem on early Zeiss folders that have no rangefinder, but later ones with coupled rangefinder can be awkward because the cameras aren't very ergonomic. I always attach a handle grip so the focusing can be done easier, without having to worry about how I'm going to grip the camera.

I have only one Voigtlander folder, a Bessa 1, viewfinder only model, with Vaskar lens. It was a recent acquisition and I haven't exposed any film in it yet. It needed lubricating because the double exposure mechanism wasn't releasing the shutter button properly. And even after lubrication, the shutter button still has a tight spot which caused camera shake while I was testing the mechanism without film. I would regret buying it except it came with everything, box, mask, instructions, leather case, all in very good condition ... but it's wasn't an exciting buy like my most recent acquisition was, a Zeiss Ikon 530/15, which came with nothing, but survived the decades to be still in as-new condition, and I have loads of 70mm film for it to consume.

I think the Vaskar lens in Voigtlanders is the bottom of the range, maybe the Voigtar is, but next comes the Skopar, then the Heliar, then the Apo Lanthar in the Bessa 11, however, the Apo will cost thousands to buy, so I'd say the Skopar lens would be ok to keep the cost down and to get reasonable quality.

Later folders came with coated lenses, and they are worth considering, f3.5, as against f4.5 of earlier un-coated lenses. Both Zeiss and Bessa 11 folders had coated lenses in the 50s

For another brand of 6x9, the Franka Rolfix with Rodenstock Trinar lens is not bad. The only problem it has is the slow top speed of 1/250sec, but when everything is going good, this is what it can do ...

Air Show - Expired Fuji Superia Xtra 400, home processed. As with all old folders, you need to be conscious of depth of field. One day I'll get it right.

img20230824_11010365copy.jpeg.5847c131fc5599b653674b2fedc8963a.jpeg

8 hours ago, kmac said:

Folders can suffer from misalignment if they have worn side struts.

Air Show - Expired Fuji Superia Xtra 400, home processed. As with all old folders, you need to be conscious of depth of field. One day I'll get it right.

img20230824_11010365copy.jpeg.5847c131fc5599b653674b2fedc8963a.jpeg

Forget the skanky, 70 year old folders.  That T-28 looks good enough to kiss!