Nikon f3 odd marks on negatives - light leaks or something mechanical?

nic_olas

See attached pics, it's a test roll from an F3. The black mark / hazey edges of some shots is concerning. 

There was a motor drive attached to the Nikon F3 that was removed on / off during this test roll if that could do it?

(Nikon F3, 50mm Pre AI lens, MD4 Drive, Kodak Ultra)

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2023-07-15 at 8.26.36 pm.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-15 at 8.26.32 pm.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-15 at 8.26.15 pm.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-15 at 8.26.25 pm.png

15 minutes ago, Niels - NHSN said:

Looks like obstruction of some sort, possibly in the upper part of the mirror chamber.

Lock the mirror in upper position and remove the lens - anything in the upper area that could obstruct the light?

Thanks, looks pretty good in there. Nothing obvious. Some shots come out fine, same day, same lens etc

Screen Shot 2023-07-15 at 9.19.17 pm.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-15 at 9.19.02 pm.png

I am fairly sure the culprit is obstruction of light. It cannot be directly in the film gate as the edges would be more defined. The repeated pattern out-rules the accidental object in front of the camera.

You are a better judge of what may possibly have happened during the shooting (case, strap, bend rubber hood etc.)

Possibly try to shoot at slow speeds why looking through the film gate to see if something is obstructing intermittently. 

Edited by Niels - NHSN
Niels

As far as I can remember, the lens was clear in the viewfinder at the point of taking. A blocked lens I would have likely seen before taking the shots.

If it helps here's a contact sheet of the roll, most shots are fine, only these two and some light leaks here and there...

IMG_6810.jpg

11 hours ago, mike_halliwell said:

What's going on around Frame 6>7>8? Film loading failure, sprocket slip?

That was using a motor drive, I think it messed up the film transport and the roll was stuck making the same shot on repeat! Wild looking images!

The roll otherwise seems okay!

It might be the old 'finger in front of the lens' - hard to do with a SLR and i doubt it, but maybe thats the anomaly if most other shots are good?

On 7/20/2023 at 1:48 AM, dennis_sa_mannshausen said:

You wrote that the MD-4 was on and off during the session. Did you mount the small screw-in cap, which covers the slot where the motor drive pins enter the body while not using the motor? Otherwise you might get light entering this way.

But the mark wasn't caused by light leak though. 

SO! A 2nd test roll back and there are no mysterious black marks like the previous shots. I think, and awkward to say, it may have been a finger/strap/anomaly in the last roll. Nothing like this on the second roll, varying speeds. It likely would have shown up at least once if it was the mirror etc?

If that's good, woo-hoo!

The next step is a light tight body. 

I have redone all the back door seals.

I have tape over the MD cover for now.

Do any of these leaks look like they're coming from elsewhere on the body?

The appearance is sort of a red / brown fog at the egdes and some trouble in bright light / the sun.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Screen Shot 2023-07-22 at 8.13.56 pm.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-22 at 8.14.10 pm.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-22 at 8.14.37 pm.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-22 at 8.17.08 pm.png

Edited by nic_olas