MicroSD vs SD in the camera

One of my laptops has a MicroSD card slot. It happens to be the laptop which is the more portable one. It got me thinking - is it safe to use MicroSD cards instead of full sized SD cards in the camera? My cameras (Olympus) have dual card slots, FWIW.

What has been your experience? Too risky? Or is there no difference apart from performance?

No difference from my experience using both, in different devices. Just the capacity may be a worry.

There's adapters that are full size SD, and a micro SD can then be inserted and used in any device the takes the large SD.

Some wildlife cameras take only the small SD, and they can store quite a few pics depending on the quality that's set in the camera's menu.

I think you'd need a high capacity micro SD if you intend to use it in your digital camera, and set on 12MP, you'll be good to go.

Edited by kmac
  • Like 1

I got a V90 256GB micro SD card from a friend who trashed his drone. I found the appropriate adapter and it works perfectly in my Nikon Z6 II for 4K video - something a regular sized good quality V60 256GB SD card could not accomplish.

I have no bad experience with adapting smaller cards provided the cards and adapters are of good quality.

Edited by Niels - NHSN
  • Like 1
Niels

You have far fewer choices among micro SD cards compared to the full-sized versions, and the read/write speed is generally much lower. If you record 4Kp60 video in many cameras (e.g., Sony S7Siii), the bit rate is 200 Mb/s or more, which requires a card rated at V90 (299/300). In addition to write speed, slow cards take much longer to download to a computer. I use UHS-II cards for their read speed, even if the camera or device does not require them. Finally, the reliability of adapters is questionable, if only for the added set of contacts.

I would rather not be surprised when a card failed, or images were corrupted. When it comes to photography, reliability trumps cost and features.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The adapters have no electronics, just wires from one connector to the other.

In theory, there could be dust on the contacts, or otherwise not making perfect contact.

I have never had a problem with them.

On the other hand CF to SD adapters do have electronics.  I have used those, too, and no problems.

• Like 1

-- glen

• 2 months later...

In general, there is no difference in performance between full-sized SD cards and microSD cards, assuming that you are using a high-quality card. It’s safer to use a microSD card than a full-sized SD card in the camera, but there are a few things to keep in mind.

First, make sure your camera is microSD card compatible. Most are newer cameras, but it’s always good to check the manual to find out. Second, use a high-quality microSD card. Not all microSD cards are created equal, and some are more reliable than others. When choosing a microSD card for your camera, look for cards with faster speed classes like UHS-II or UHS-III. This allows your camera to quickly write data to the card in order to keep shooting.

• Like 1