Copyright Complaint (renamed)

Pierre Dumas

The copyright infringement - the new bosses still share our images with everybody, IE they are still downloadable despite my reaction in my previous topic!

The limited time of edit-ability of our comments, albums and images which can't have a reasonable purpose still persists, despite my previous intervention

The lack of "move to - album" possibility - they lost our albums so that we must create new ones and don't give us opportunity to fully restore them

The stupid addition pro to the names of those who have paid the "rent". Paying the annual subscription doesn't make a professional, for example I'm not professional and don't need that "promotion"

I'm aware that my intervention only doesn't oblige anyone to even think of it, therefore I invite everyone to say his/her opinion about each and every point of this topic and possibly add new ones which I haven't though of!

I also invite the moderators or administrators and even the very boss @mjensen to explain, justify maybe, their seemingly irrational measures and deeds!

It has been said many times before: if someone can see your photo on their screen, then it is already in their cache. Nothing the forum can do will stop people getting your image file. They can only make it a little more awkward. If you don't want your pictures reused, don't upload them in best resolution; add a watermark or signature; add a fierce statement about copyright in your caption.

I completely support a time-limit on editing forum posts. Otherwise, I could post some nonsense during a senior moment, and after someone had put me right ('I have my EOS R in my hand, and I'm telling you straight it isn't made of cheese.'), I could sneak back and correct my original post, leaving the other guy looking a fool.

As far as I know they are not taking anyone's money now. When they were, the system had to make a distinction, at least internally. I remember years ago, people having a different icon next to their name showing how many years they had been paid up. I'm a Pro at Flickr. I don't mind what they call it; the better service is worth paying for. Here I have always been a cheapskate parasite freeloader.

Edited by Dustin McAmera
  • Excellent! 2
  • Very Nice 1

1 hour ago, Pierre Dumas Esquire said:

The copyright infringement - the new bosses still share our images with everybody, IE they are still downloadable despite my reaction in my previous topic!

The limited time of edit-ability of our comments, albums and images which can't have a reasonable purpose still persists, despite my previous intervention

Anything published on the internet is easily copied, and those determined to violate your rights, will  do so - regardless of what this site installs of preventive measures.
Preventing right-click-save may be a reasonable request, but it doesn't prevent copying your content.
I can copy any of your images with a simple screendumb. 

Time limited edit of own posts is common practice. You can't expect people to engage in a dialogue which may disappear or change at the OP's whim. 

• Excellent! 1
Niels

Let us start here, @Pierre Dumas Esquire.  Matt Jensen is no longer involved with PhotoNet, and a new team is in place.  Thank you for your comments.

There is no copyright infringement.  When you joined PhotoNet in 2002, you accepted a user agreement that gave rights to PhotoNet to display member images.  By continuing to use PhotoNet across the years you also agreed to any subsequent changes in the Terms of Service.

We are not going to argue this matter with anyone.  As the present TOS (which everone recently agreed with) states, if you are not willing to abide by the Terms of Service--then simply stated you do not use the service.  In accordance with GDPR and other regulations, administration can remove your account complete with all content upon request.  Send a PM to @Sandy Vongries or myself and we will execute the process.

Once again we wish to reiterate that there are currently NO SUBSCRIPTION options and it has been this way for quite some time.  The PhotoNet Pro label remains as an artifact of better times, and recognition of past member support.  Let us be clear about this.

In the future if anyone wishes to discuss the legal ramifications of operating PhotoNet, it is requested that such inquiries be directed to one of the two administrators previously mentioned. 

Also, the original thread title was deemed inappropriate by the community and has been renamed.  Perhaps while some things recently have been terrible, there has been no terror and the implication of that in a thread title is not acceptable. 

• Excellent! 3