LR Classic Masking Question

ericphelps

I've got the latest edition of LR, and am generally ok when editing basic steps. But beyond the basics I'm at a loss. Here for example is a jpeg, an untouched RAW photo exported to jpeg for posting. I've tried using the masking program to remove the band of sunlight at the right of the scene, with no progress. It seems easy according to the videos, and I know it can be done well but no progress here at all.

It was a tight area and I couldn't avoid this light streaming from a wall opening. Can someone suggest a method using these masking tools to accomplish this?

Thanks 

DSCF6024.jpg

Why do I say things...

I use LR Classic, and while I am certainly no LR or post processing expert, it seems to me that that band of sunlight represents a fatally overexposed area.  This is not a criticism since you obviously needed to expose for your subject, but just a factual matter.  Since there is unlikely to be any usable data in the file for that area, I am not sure what you want to accomplish via masking?  No amount of dodging (old manual printing term) will result in any usable information from the file.  Perhaps that area could possibly be fixed by cloning the spots that are usable, but that is far beyond my skills.  

Why don't you just crop the image to remove that burned out sunlit area and call it a day.

Edited by Ken Katz

57 minutes ago, Ken Katz said:

I use LR Classic, and while I am certainly no LR or post processing expert, it seems to me that that band of sunlight represents a fatally overexposed area.  This is not a criticism since you obviously needed to expose for your subject, but just a factual matter.  Since there is unlikely to be any usable data in the file for that area, I am not sure what you want to accomplish via masking?  No amount of dodging (old manual printing term) will result in any usable information from the file.  Perhaps that area could possibly be fixed by cloning the spots that are usable, but that is far beyond my skills.  

Why don't you just crop the image to remove that burned out sunlit area and call it a day.

Thanks Ken - Yes I may have to try another method beyond masking. It was a hurried moment at that site, and actually my wife doesn't remember 'a band of intrusive sunlight' hitting that area. My id'ing it as such was all I could come up with to explain the washed out area. But still confused about what caused this. I really trust this Fuji X100F on auto and have never had a result like this. Cropping will be the last resort but it will save the group photo.

Why do I say things...

The band of light is, as others say, irretrievable. It is just 100% and shows no detail. So the best plan is simply to crop the image tightly to exclude it. You could convert to black and white and selectively decrease highlight or whites in that area, so that it becomes more gray and slightly less worrying, but I think this is unlikely to work very well, so cropping is best.

• Like 1
Robin Smith

17 hours ago, Tony Parsons said:

Hope you dont mind, but i had a QD attempt to change things.

1076767838_highlightadjust-a.jpg.5209dd229bbaf3ec7923b81825b69228.jpg

Just cloned the wall from beside the highlight - a little better ?

Tony

That's just exceptional Tony-Thanks! All this is a good reminder for me of how basic my chops are in photography. My main fault here was not assessing the room quickly for good/bad backgrounds and areas, but luckily cropping did let it slide into acceptability,

• Excellent! 1

Why do I say things...