Is this fungus on this Minolta autocord tlr

Aglide

Impossible to tell from the picture. To be certain you would have to open the shutter and aperture and shine an LED torch through the lens from the back. If it's an online auction you could try to get the seller to do this. Otherwise it means taking a gamble, depending on the price being asked. And whether there's anything else wrong with it.

16 minutes ago, chuck_foreman1 said:

What Rodeo Joe said... if it's cheap enough.. it will just be another low value asset in your collection of bro.. umm classic cameras I mean

If that is permanant damage the only collection that needs to be in is COLLECTION BY THE BIN MEN.. Sorry but Its a parts doner ONLY !

Edited by laurencecochrane

8 hours ago, eugen_mezei said:

Beg to differ. I doubt it would show in the pictures.

Apart from the low contrast and flare!

The lens is filthy with dirt at the very least, and who knows what permanent damage lurks beneath? 

Bin-worthy? Maybe not, but until the crud is cleaned off it the jury's still out. 

20 minutes ago, rodeo_joe1 said:

Apart from the low contrast and flare!

The lens is filthy with dirt at the very least, and who knows what permanent damage lurks beneath? 

Bin-worthy? Maybe not, but until the crud is cleaned off it the jury's still out. 

You are right Joe ( SEE I DO NOT ALLWAYS ARGUE.) That wiil be a flare monster do not waste film in it.

. But I think that your last line is a bit optomistic to say the least. Are there no good cameras out there ?

1 hour ago, laurencecochrane said:

Are there no good cameras out there ?

Just 5 days ago I spotted a Minolta SrT101 in a charity shop with a £50 price tag on it. It was fitted with a 58mm f/1. 4 MC Rokkor P-F lens. The camera body I couldn't care less about, but I'm always a sucker for a lens I haven't used before. 

The lens was hiding behind a filthy old skylight filter, but looked pretty clean underneath. However, the aperture was stuck open, and I haggled the price down to £40 because of that. 

Long story short, the aperture was completely unstuck for about an hours work, plus an egg-cupful of lighter fluid, methylated spirit and a few cotton buds. The camera body cleaned up nicely as well and has a pretty accurate shutter. 

Oh, and the meter works fairly accurately as well. 

So, yes, there are still cameras and lenses in good order out there. You just have to look past the dust, dirt and general neglect to find them. With maybe a little input of repair. 

FWIW, it turns out the lens ain't that hot - despite many glowing (literally) reviews online. IMO the 6 element design is basically an f/2 lens that's been 'stretched' to f/1.4 for the sake of a brighter viewfinder image, and to heck with the image quality. 

Whatever, I now have a camera and lens that'll easily get my money back... plus a little profit for my trouble. 

Edited by rodeo_joe1

Often dirt on a lens is not a bad thing, suggesting the camera has not been messed around. I've taken a chance on many cameras and lenses which looked dodgy in the pictures, but cleaned up fine. But if the lens has been over cleaned with hankies or the ends of ties etc, there's nothing you can do about scratches and coating damage.

20 hours ago, John Seaman said:

Often dirt on a lens is not a bad thing, suggesting the camera has not been messed around. I've taken a chance on many cameras and lenses which looked dodgy in the pictures, but cleaned up fine. But if the lens has been over cleaned with hankies or the ends of ties etc, there's nothing you can do about scratches and coating damage.

Yeah I bought a cheap nasty len for my RB I thought I coud sort. Turned oiut to be SCRAP. Not cheap enough. Having said that that my red Mamiya C33 display came even cheaper than a black one, she needed light seals and  lens also needed a shutter Easy fixes.

• 4 weeks later...