REPUTATION?!

John Peri

I am rather perplexed/curious as to the origin (not to mention the why) of the “reputation” feature on our Profile Page. According to whom and how is it calculated, we even started out with a number on the new PN, so it’s somehow retroactive?

I have uploaded various images, added and responded to different threads, received some bizarre badges, but nothing seems to change. I might suggest that it is really not something any serious photographers expect to find on their front page in a photo site.

Edited by John Peri
  • Like 4

I've spotted some of how this works. Mostly (perhaps completely) it's to do with forum participation, and intended to encourage us to post a lot.

I think it's just a summary of more than one counter. I get five points for posting in a forum thread, it seems, and I get one point every time someone 'likes' anything I've posted. I don't think posts that happened before the transition are valued the same as new posts. Since 2005, I've made 1100 posts, and my rep is just under 1500 (if I get another 1500 points, I'll rank-up to a Veteran: wow! Roll on 2037!)

So if I cared about my rep number, I'd post a lot, and include photos, because that's what people 'like'. I see Bill Boyd is on now; he posts pictures in many (most?) of the No Words threads - so that's several forum posts every day with a single photo each because of the No Words rules; he has made about 17,000 forum posts and his rep's 50,000-ish. I see John Seaman is on too. He also posts in a lot of No Words threads, but also in old-school camera-tech discussions (few photos and few likes); 5000 posts, and his rep's 7000-ish. Gerald Cafferty has 9600 posts and his rep's 66,000-ish.

To me, they're all names that I recognise as on the site daily. The rep number doesn't help me rank one against the other more than the raw data about them: when they joined, how many posts, how many gallery images; but what I remember about their style (photographic style and 'netiquette') is more important than any of that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tony_parsons1 said:

a warning from 5 years ago, in which I am awarded one warning point

I can't see that: must be for your eyes only. Maybe the custard round your beak?

I have '0 warning points' on my profile. In the same place on your profile I see that you last 'Won the day' on 30 June. I never won the day.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sanford said:

John, I wouldn't be surprised if you get a warning for using that Big Bold Font.

(At my age), I need it to compose .. I did not realize that a copy/paste would result in that size!

Later:  Ha, I managed to reduce .. now I think it's too small ... : -)

Edited by John Peri
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, tony_parsons1 said:

Just looked at my own profile - reputation 440 (out of what ?), but I also have 0 warning points. However, below this is a warning from 5 years ago, in which I am awarded one warning point which will never expire (?), for 'inappropriate behaviour'. 

You may have just received 5 extra points for saying that!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Sanford said:

I have three warnings for speaking on the "No Words" forum which I wear as a badge of honor.

I have one--for using aggressive language and bad words--distilled to "Inappropriate Conduct".  As I recall the post had something to do with the first botched migration of PN... 😇

As I recall, Invision is using some sort of 'super secret' algorithm to combine achievements (badges), likes, and activities together into some number.  Admins can shape it a bit by changing default points in likes, but it's what they call "silent engagement" calculated to motivate people who are fascinated by points and shiny things...

Edited by PapaTango
  • Like 3

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

10 minutes ago, PapaTango said:

As I recall, Invision is using some sort of 'super secret' algorithm to combine achievements (badges), likes, and activities together into some number.  Admins can shape it a bit by changing default points in likes, but it's what they call "silent engagement" calculated to motivate people who are fascinated by points and shiny things...

I was graded in schooldays, behaviour, likeability, performance etc., but I remember my parents insisting on knowing exactly how it was calculated.

3 hours ago, John Peri said:

You may have just received 5 extra points for saying that!

Well, my reputation has certainly been 'enhanced' - I may never live that down.

At school, in 1967, one of the masters was despondent that hanging had been abolished - he told me that he was convinced I was born to hang. Oddly, I hate wearing a tie, or to have anything tight round my neck . . . .

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, tony_parsons1 said:

Well, my reputation has certainly been 'enhanced' - I may never live that down.

At school, in 1967, one of the masters was despondent that hanging had been abolished - he told me that he was convinced I was born to hang. Oddly, I hate wearing a tie, or to have anything tight round my neck . . . .

We all have our hang-ups.

• Like 1
  • Excellent! 1
  • Very Nice 4

5 minutes ago, tony_parsons1 said:

Didn't Oscar Wilde say 'If you can't be famous, at least be notorious' - or something like that ? Or am I thinking of Dale Carnegie ?

I think he said (among many quotes) "The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about."  I suppose that addresses Notoriety.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PapaTango said:

Dale Carnegie is the one who said "never give a sucker an even break."

I always found Carnegie a bit saccharine, but in the context of his top quotes,  https://www.keepinspiring.me/dale-carnegie-quotes/ that attribution is hard to swallow. If you look it up, I think you'll find it attributed to W. C. Fields.

• 3 months later...