Whats the best advice you were given starting out in black and white photography?

Jennifer Johnson

• 5 months later...

When I took an online course offered by Digital Photography School, "Get Off Auto", the presenter offered another perspective on the benefits of black and white photography.  He said that, given the absence of colour, it was easier to identify the tonal range (true blacks, whites, grays) and depict the essence of the scene without the distractions of various colours.

I started off in the 1950s with B&W, color was expensive by comparison, and I was just a kid with a camera, a new 35mm with a viewfinder but no rangefinder. I'd sort of figured out ASA, aperture, and shutter speed relationships - the film boxes gave reasonable exposure information. Focusing was a challenge though until I realized the old boy scout trick...know your height and drop it onto the floor at your feet (the old isosceles triangle). Estimate the number of myself to the subject and set the focus accordingly. If possible use f/8 to overcome miscalculations. It worked very well until I was able to afford a camera with a built in rangefinder. Later, taking photos for my school's newspaper, I learned "f/8 and be there" When I was finally admitted to the lab I began to refine my exposures and learn development and printing. All in all a wonderful journey continuing well into old age.