Repair laptop, new desktop display or new computer. Opinions, please.

17 minutes ago, digitaldog said:

Based on year's of history I don't believe what you tell us. 

Your denial is stunning and ,dare I say, childish! The NEC website that I linked to clearly shows that all P and PA color-critical monitors are discontinued. Just minutes ago, I chatted with them and they again confirmed this and that there are no known plans to introduce monitors with similar specifications. Happy in your fantasy, denial world?

1 hour ago, frans_waterlander said:

Your denial is stunning and ,dare I say, childish! The NEC website that I linked to clearly shows that all P and PA color-critical monitors are discontinued. Just minutes ago, I chatted with them and they again confirmed this and that there are no known plans to introduce monitors with similar specifications. Happy in your fantasy, denial world?

You're lost as usual. You can't even decipher the website you linked to let alone understand it's now Sharp/NEC that absolutely has NOT exited the display market as you falsely claim.

You are of course entitled to your uninformed opinions on this subject. I am simply pointing out that the opinion was formed without facts, science/data or critcal thinking. I therefore I find it foolish. 
Do get in the last foolish and incorrect word on this; you can't help yourself otherwise as we will all soon witness (again)!

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

41 minutes ago, digitaldog said:

You're lost as usual. You can't even decipher the website you linked to let alone understand it's now Sharp/NEC that absolutely has NOT exited the display market as you falsely claim.

You are of course entitled to your uninformed opinions on this subject. I am simply pointing out that the opinion was formed without facts, science/data or critcal thinking. I therefore I find it foolish. 
Do get in the last foolish and incorrect word on this; you can't help yourself otherwise as we will all soon witness (again)!

The Sharp/NEC website shows that all P and PA color-critical monitors have been discontinued, their support people confirm that with no know replacements in the wings, nobody sells them anymore with the exception of some leftover units, but Andrew Rodney knows better.

Yes, I know that Sharp/NEC sells oodles of monitors, but they no longer sell color-critical monitors. So, who's lost here? It's you.

• On Point 1

7 minutes ago, frans_waterlander said:

Yes, I know that Sharp/NEC sells oodles of monitors, but they no longer sell color-critical monitors.

A word of caution: NEC is exiting the desktop monitor market.”

As predicted; the last foolish and incorrect word in context.

Edited by digitaldog

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

13 hours ago, hapien said:

My thoughts are that You have rare item that is worth repairing.

(I guess it's related to my original question.)

As it is an i9 full of threads and RAM and everything, my wish is to repair it. BUT, in the same way that the screen has been a complete failure (too many users with the same problem, and there seems to be no clear Apple diagnosis), I fear for the durability of the replacement. 

I don't remember when the first symptom appeared, but it became quite evident by the third year. Now it is unbearable. Maybe it happened during the second year and under warranty, I did not assume it at the time.

Edited by jose_angel

Thanks Marc.

I build some machines long ago, I think it was at the 386 era, and then a 486dx?. This is all I remember, the cooling grills, and to have loads of compatibility problems, jumpers, etc. but it was fun and at the end they worked. After that, always ready to use items. Since then my brain has dried a bit 😄

This thread has made me want to tinker on my own computer. My son will be pleased. I'll see if I can catch up a bit with Lenovo and Dell towers. Thanks a lot.

On 10/17/2022 at 3:56 AM, jose_angel said:

Hello everyone. To make a long story short, I will say that I am the unlucky owner of a MacBook Pro 15" with the "orange screen" disease... (and here, too). I wanted to have the best computer money can buy for image editing (the top model of end 2018), but a few weeks after the warranty expired, my € 4,000+ laptop turned out useless for the task. I actually babied the MBP, but faulty products don't care about that. Apple have just ignored the problem.

Two months ago I also had to send my top iPhone for repair. My decades-long trust with Apple is at its worst. Sincerely, I feel like I'm stupid.

So, I'm debating what to do:

1. Go on with the stupidity and send the MBP to change the screen (I guess more than 700€); probably in two years I will have another "orange juice screen".

2. Buy a good desktop display (non Apple) and connect it to my MBP via USB-C. I really hate doing this, but it will allow me to work for the time being. Also expensive.

3. Buy a new computer... another MacBook Pro?  N e v e r  again such an expensive model, but a mid-level one at best. I am really worried about Apple products quality. In fact, I fear for its company orientation, current laptops negate the "advances" of previous "best ever" decisions (now there is no Touch Bar, they included a SD card reader, also a HDMI connector, etc.). I don't know if they're running around like head cut off chickens, maybe they simply take strictly profit-based decisions (world in crisis), or as some say they are actually returning to no-nonsense professional products.

What do you think? Has anyone experienced "problems" with, say, 2021 or 2022 Apple laptops? Any comment is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

In my opinion, no matter how powerful and expensive a Laptop, it can't beat a pretty-good Desktop computer. After dealing with a variety of laptops that petered-out after a couple of years, I now do all of my photo editing work on my desktop computer. I purchased one of those used desktops that they use in Business, because they are more reliable than your typical consumer desktop. I kept bloatware to a minimum and never looked back. Ocassionally I might use my laptop if I need to travel, or for casually surfing the web, or answer email.  One thing I had to do with my business desktop was to get a new Graphic Card because the one that it came with did not suit my finicky tastes. Connected to my NEC 24" monitor I could not be happier( knock on wood)... 

• Like 1

I haven't called Sharp/NEC, but from their website and B&H's website, I conclude that Frans is almost correct.

As far as I can tell, they are still producing and selling only one of their PA-series, Adobe sRGB monitors, the 24" PA243W. You can see that on this page, https://www.sharpnecdisplays.us/products/displays#?page=1. Elsewhere on their site they still list 3 other sizes, including the 27" PA271Q that I own, but if you check at B&H, you'll see that this has been discontinued.

The Sharp/NEC website lists 108 other monitors as color critical, but I checked two of the series that have that label, and both cover only sRGB.

So I think that for all practical purposes, they are out of the wide-gamut market. That's a real shame, IMHO. Glad I bought mine when I did.

2 hours ago, paddler4 said:

I haven't called Sharp/NEC, but from their website and B&H's website, I conclude that Frans is almost correct.

As far as I can tell, they are still producing and selling only one of their PA-series, Adobe sRGB monitors, the 24" PA243W. You can see that on this page, https://www.sharpnecdisplays.us/products/displays#?page=1. Elsewhere on their site they still list 3 other sizes, including the 27" PA271Q that I own, but if you check at B&H, you'll see that this has been discontinued.

The Sharp/NEC website lists 108 other monitors as color critical, but I checked two of the series that have that label, and both cover only sRGB.

So I think that for all practical purposes, they are out of the wide-gamut market. That's a real shame, IMHO. Glad I bought mine when I did.

The NEC website is a mess, but ALL P and PA series monitors are on the discontinued list, period. Andrew Rodney can find a link to several P and PA models, but all those are on the discontinued list. Any such monitors that are offered for sale are either left-overs or used.

As usual, what Frans actually wrote is wrong; copy and paste the EXACT statement:

A word of caution: NEC is exiting the desktop monitor market.”

There is no more NEC. There is Sharp/NEC, and they have not exited this market. He’d like to regurgitate about color reference displays after making such a false statement, but the statement in question above is just wrong. Yes, their website lists hundreds of displays. NO such exit from the market as wrongly posted. A wide gamut display is just that, it isn’t the sole criteria for what is a color critical display. Anyone with actual experience with the old Barcos, Sony Artisans or Radius Pressviews can tell you this from actual experience (unlikely Frans can). 

Lots of companies discontinue products, don’t assume like Frans that means the company no longer will or, as Frans falsely believes (so often and here again), this means the company ceases to produce any such products in the future. He’s confused; he’s assuming, he, as usual, isn’t someone to take seriously.

His time would be much better spent attempting the hobby of Photography, but, posting FUD and misinformation is apparently a more productive use of his “talents”. 

Edited by digitaldog

29 minutes ago, digitaldog said:

As usual, what Frans actually wrote is wrong; copy and paste the EXACT statement:

A word of caution: NEC is exiting the desktop monitor market.”

There is no more NEC. There is Sharp/NEC, and they have not exited this market. He’d like to regurgitate about color reference displays after making such a false statement, but the statement in question above is just wrong. Yes, their website lists hundreds of displays. NO such exist from the market as posted. A wide gamut display is just that, it isn’t the sole criteria for what is a color critical display. Anyone with actual experience with the old Barcos, Sony Artisans or Radius Pressviews can tell you this from actual experience (unlikely Frans can). 

Lots of companies discontinue products, don’t assume that means the company no longer will or, as Frans falsely believes (so often and here again), this means the company ceases to produce any such products in the future. He’s confused; he’s assuming, he, as usual, isn’t someone to take seriously.

His time would be much better spent attempting the hobby of Photography, but, posting FUD and misinformation is apparently a more productive use of his “talents”. 

My statement was incomplete and as a result it either confused you or you saw this as an opportunity to bad-mouth me, again. I should have added "the color-critical P and PA series". Happy now? Can you at least admit that all NEC P and PA color-critical series monitors have been discontinued, rather than post a link that might give the false impression that they are still available? Yes I know, that might be too much to ask.

• On Point 1

4 minutes ago, digitaldog said:

Yes your statement Frans was incompelete AND wrong! Nothing new here for the PhotoNet members.

My statement cannot be both incomplete and wrong and you should have grasped by now that it is incomplete. As intended, with the addition of "the color-critical P and PA series", it is very much correct. They are gone and no known plans to replace them. 

You win Frans, you were utterly and completely wrong. 

Got anything else that’s completely wrong and foolish to add here? We know you can’t help yourself (here it comes gang)….

39 minutes ago, frans_waterlander said:

My statement cannot be both incomplete and wrong ….

Edited by digitaldog