I am getting memory error while exporting my edited image from Photopshop

caroljames972022

I am a new photographer. I am learning Photoshop and other things about photography from Google. I am getting an issue. I am sure there are many pro phtogrpaher who can guide me how can I fix that error and many useful things that a beginner should do and shouldn't use.

Please let me know how can I export my edited images from Photopshop and why I am getting not enough memory error?

Welcome!

I'm no expert on this stuff, but a couple of thoughts. How many files have you got open in Photoshop? If it's more than one, try opening one at a time: each one occupies some memory. Similarly, if you have other applications running at the same time, try closing them while you do Photoshop.

It may help other people to comment if you say what version of Photoshop you have, what operating system, what file format you are starting with, and what format you're trying to Save as.

Good luck!

Edited by Dustin McAmera
I didn't read the link!

I only have Elements, not the full Photoshop. In the Preferences, there's a section called Performance, and in that section it should show you what RAM memory is available in the computer, and how much Photoshop is allowed to use. Maybe you're just reaching that limit, and you could increase the limit.

This is for a recent (2022) version of Elements. It may look different if you have an older version.

Hi @caroljames972022, I'm by no means a Photoshop expert. But based on your question, I suspect that the answer lies in the combination between your 'Photoshop Preferences' and the physical capabilities of your device (Desktop, Laptop, Tablet, phone) with which you use Photoshop. Under Photoshop/Edit/Preferences, you'll see a range of options for how you choose to use Photoshop, Most (or at least many) may be unintelligble to you (as they are to me!). But one 'preference' to look at is 'Scratch Disks'. This setting determines how much 'working space' Photoshop has on you main disks(s). Indepedently of any USB disk. Basically, Photoshop needs to first complile (for example a .PSD, TIFF or .JPG file) in working memory (RAM) or on a 'Scratch Disk' (usually the C disk) before exporting the file to a specific location. In your situation, a USB stick.

The more RAM (for example 16 or more GB) you have on your device, the less 'Scratch Disk' Photoshop will need. Less RAM (for example 4 GB or 8 GB) means that Photoshop will probably need more 'Scratch Disk' as a temporary working space. You can choose the amount of 'Scratch Disk' you allocate to Photoshop (and on what storage device) under the Edit/Preferences/Scratch Disk options.

I make no guarentee that this is the 'solution' but this seems to me to be the best place to start in solving the 'not enough memory' error'.

Keep in touch and let me know how you get on. If this suggestion doesn't help you solve the problem, I'll work with you to find a solution.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by mikemorrellNL

On 10/13/2022 at 1:39 AM, caroljames972022 said:

I have a good memory stick installed in my system (https://www.allhdd.com/dell-370-aeqh-ddr4-memory/) is there anything wrong with my memory or I am not using it correctly?

The memory you referenced is ECC (Error Correcting ) memory. This is usually used in servers and very High Performance computers. It takes a special type of motherboard and BIOS to use this memory. It is not for use in normal PCs.

Short answer, you probably have the wrong type of memory in your computer.

What computer are you using? What operating system?