A decent system camera kit for US$500 - can it be done?

In 2022, with a surplus of pretty good used cameras flooding the market, I assert that a beginner on a small budget can put together a surprisingly capable kit for as little as US$500.

I’ve given just a few examples here. If you can do this with $500, imagine what $1,000 can buy you.

Approximate prices are based on listings on eBay USA.

Olympus

E-PL5

14-42

75-300

Sony

NEX-6

16-50

55-200

Nikon

D7000

18-200

Pentax

K70

18-135

All of these will give you better image quality than the most expensive phones, as far as photos are concerned. There are other brands, configurations, and price brackets, but you get the idea.

Panasonic GX85 with two zoom lenses for around $600 new.

can get the camera used body only from actual retailers for 3-400$, from ebay sellers in unspecified used condition may not work for 800$ without lenses, or even at retail price of 600$ with lenses on ebay..

or buy brand new at an actual retailer...

never thought a 16mp sensor could do 4k

You can do wonders with used equipment if you are able to weed out the junk... or buy factory refurbished cameras.

But the biggest hurdle is that MOST of the most affordable and highest quality on the used market are not going to considered "desirable" or "professional" enough to purchase based on

camera reviews stating a "true photographer of any skill only buys mirrorless", and trust me, that hurts sales more then one can consider. Especially since some generations of cameras only changed the body style.. looking at nikon....

If you want a film camera, you're in luck for a good used body, lens and lots of film for under $500. If you want digital, likewise it certainly is possible in the used market to get a good kit for under $500, even in the big name ones...Canon, Nikon. You just have to look and be patient to get a good deal.

I’m selling my GR3 plus accessories for $500. Pound for pound (or gram for gram), it’s probably the best camera in the world.

Hi, Ludmilla,

I looked at the GR3 a few times in the past but ultimately decided against it- not in favor of anything else, just haven't been in the market for a digital camera any time lately.

Curious, may I ask why you're letting go of it?

Agreed.

Shopping in reputable used stores, not auction sites, you can do very well for 500 £/€/$

Olympus E-M1 + 25mm f1.8

Or E-M5, 25mm and a zoom.

Fuji bodies can be had easily at the 2-300 range, lenses are harder though, better getting a new Viltrox.

There's a good selection of very capable cameras out there, for very modest budgets.

Olympus EM-10 mk II with a 14-42mm and 40-150mm should be available within the $500 budget. That plus an Oly or Panny 25mm f1.8 and you would have a very lightweight and capable kit.

There will likely be piles of DSLRs and applicable lenses available for those who want them, or want to maximize image quality per $. Personally, I look to maximize image quality per gram of weight, and are willing to pay more for that tradeoff.