Fine Art — Why is it Mostly Film?

Art, or fine art, is distinguished from craft. It's a combination of a good or great idea combined with an aesthetic sensibility. And yes, craft can be used to express this but it's not central. Indeed, some very wonderful "art" can be anti-craft. I guess you could say that something that degrades craft is a form of craft, but the idea comes first, followed by sensibility. Just MHO.

Clyde Butcher is now providing digital prints as well as film prints at a lower cost, still pretty high for his work. I've seen both in his gallery in Venice Florida and the digital prints looks as good as the chemical ones for those who want to save a little money yet have a Butcher print. Obviously, there's less work involved with a digital print. So that will account for it's cheaper price as well. It's faster to produce copies and no spotting.

Big Clyde Butcher fan. I saw his work in the Everglades studio, with an alligator lurking outside. I wonder if his digital prints are laser using photo paper or ink jet.

I think I saw a digital printer in his Venice Gallery and lab. You could call them. I'm sure they'll let you know. He had a little note on it reminding his workers to adjusts one of the variables to a particular setting. He now shoots digitally because of his age and the weight of the equipment. He uses a Cambo Actus with a digital 36 megapixel Sony A7R camera and RZ-67 Mamiya medium format lenses.

https://clydebutcher.com/about-the-artist/technical-information/

The last one I remember had different printing methods, such as platinum prints.

So still starting with a film negative, but not silver based prints.

As well as I know it, in the case of platinum prints, and some other alternative methods,

the artist coats their own paper. Whether the coating process is any "finer", in

fine art terms, I don't know.

-- glen