A Ricoh GR form factor with a telephoto lens?

My favorite camera is the Ricoh GR III. It does it all for my work, and I have had full frame cameras in the past.. Now if it only had a zoom.

So I was looking at the Lumix line, some of the cameras in the same form factor and weight. Maybe an LX10? I know the sensor doesn't compare.

What about the Lumix LX 100 II? Still not the same sensor as the Ricoh but decent specs. But it looks a little bulky compared to the Ricoh. I sold my magical Fuji X100s because I felt it was too clunky for me. The Ricoh really spoiled me as it fir in my shirt pocket.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

The LX10 uses a version of Sony's 1" 20mp sensor, which is is 1/3 the size of the Ricoh but much larger than a smartphone. Sony's RX100 series cameras use this size sensor as does a number a Canon compact cameras. If you want a zoom lens in a small form factor it needs to have a smaller sensor. The current versions of the Sony RX100 are not inexpensive.
  • Like 1

Sorry, but I would never give up my Full Frame DSLR, even my APS-C for a point-and-shoot camera. Those cameras have their place and I'm not sure what type of photography you are shooting right now , but in my opinion there is a limit to those cameras. Number 1 being no interchangeable lenses. I have an old Lumix DMC Z5(at least I think that's what is called) that I purchased years ago and which I still use once in a while but it does not compare to any of my DSLR's. Sure it fit in my shirt/pant pockets and sure I could take it anywhere, but I was limited by the shutter-lag and the small build factor. The camera is so small that it's hard to keep it steady, the shutter lag made me miss a lot of shots that I would not have if I had a DSLR. Not only that, the small sensor forced me to use the camera at ISO 400 or below to avoid fuzzy looking images. I don't own the Richo GR III, but I heard it is really good camera of course given its limitations. No Macro, NO Telephoto, weak flash etc. Although I loved taking my Lumix camera everywhere, I finally had to put it down to those factors and others I have not mentioned in this post...

Seriously? Get another camera bag or two and start purpose-built kits. That's what I've done: a X-100T(+Tele Convertor lens) and GR II in a small ThinkTank "street" bag; two Fuji X-T1s+ four Fujicron primes bag; and a Nikon D7200+ 35, 40 Micro, 50 and 85mm primes bag. Get the picture? The GR and X-100 form factor are surprisingly versatile, far more than non-owners admit. Granted, they're not really tele-expandable but then who reasonably thought they ever were? My point is simply that you build kits for your needs. No shame in buying trailing edge(used?) models that deliver a high percentage of the current models' performance for far less scratch. YMMV, as always.
  • Like 1

The OP was interested in cameras the size of his Ricoh GR that has a zoom lens. I don't see any inquiries relating to substituting a compact camera and expecting results or performance similar to an ILC. Equating the performance of an ancient Lumix DMC TZ5 (I think), with its CCD sensor of about 28 sq mm to the latest Sony 1" Stacked BSI-CMOs sensor about 5x the size is not applicable. I don't believe you would find a Sony RX100 or Lumix LX10 to be slow or its shutter not responsive. The latest Sony models have PDAF focusing pixels and purportedly excellent subject tracking performance. The Panasonic cameras use their DFD AF tech for moving subjects so YMMV with its performance.
  • Like 4

The OP was interested in cameras the size of his Ricoh GR that has a zoom lens. I don't see any inquiries relating to substituting a compact camera and expecting results or performance similar to an ILC. Equating the performance of an ancient Lumix DMC TZ5 (I think), with its CCD sensor of about 28 sq mm to the latest Sony 1" Stacked BSI-CMOs sensor about 5x the size is not applicable. I don't believe you would find a Sony RX100 or Lumix LX10 to be slow or its shutter not responsive. The latest Sony models have PDAF focusing pixels and purportedly excellent subject tracking performance. The Panasonic cameras use their DFD AF tech for moving subjects so YMMV with its performance.

Well said

I, too, use the GR3 as my main camera and felt that another camera with a longer (zoom) lens would complement the Ricoh.

So I bought a Canon Powershot G5X Mk 2 which has a 24-120 stabilised lens, a 1” sensor, good economics (for me) and is quite compact (although slightly bigger than the GR3). It’s a decent camera if you’re OK with the 1” sensor (I am).

The Sony RX100 Mk 7 is probably a better camera but I preferred the Canon for a few reasons(money, ergonomics and previous Powershot experience)

Another option is the GR3x which can be “cropped” to about 70mm that you could pair with your 28mm GR3

Thanks. I will check out the Canon. I was thinking the Leica glass on the Lumix would be nice though.

I know a lot of backpackers like the Sony RX100 as it takes good pics and has a light footprint. Thinking if you like the GRIII you would probably enjoy the smallish size and easy handling. But I don't have one :). I do have a Pany GX7 that I don't use much, but I really liked it and still think it takes good pics and has the M43 thing of working with so many lenses with adaptors, but it is dated now.

I nearly always carry my Canon G5x Mk2, purchased instead of the Richoh GRiii for longer focal length, and instead of the Sony RX100 Mk 7 for its faster lens. Canon is very versatile but makes a thick bundle in a pocket and the front lens cover is delicate. I damaged mine but Canon fixed it under warranty. A 56mm press-on lens cap is a nice addition if carrying in an unprotected pocket.
  • Like 2

I should point out that I am going to sell the Canon. Not because it is a bad camera but because I don’t really need another camera beside my GR3 and recently acquired iphone 13 Pro. I don’t need the extra reach on the Canon given the iphone has a 77mm (equiv) lens.

(This is not a sales pitch, btw).

I have a Samsung s22 Ultra. That also has a great camera. But I rarely use it.

a X-100T(+Tele Convertor lens) and GR II in a small ThinkTank "street" bag; two Fuji X-T1s+ four Fujicron primes bag; and a Nikon D7200+ 35, 40 Micro, 50 and 85mm primes bag.

This is a really weird response to someone who shoots a compact camera and clearly does not want to contemplate getting five bodies plus 8 lenses, and I agree with the others, it may not be for me but these compact do-it all cameras can be really good. I would second suggestion of the Canon G series or the Sony RX. I always think the Canons seem more robust, but this is not based on any real evidence.

• Like 1
Robin Smith

No, all three versions of the G1X (one) have an APS-C sensor. Here are the specs for the 3rd version (which I still have).

Specifications & Features - Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III - Canon UK

The G3X, G5X, G7X and G9X all have 1” sensors

I am interested in a P&S with a fixed zoom. The ones above are larger cameras. I need something that fits in the pocket like this one. Which is a 1 inch sensor

Screenshot_20220215-155611_Chrome.thumb.jpg.93a30e049c8414a208b13a3b4c047695.jpg

This is a really weird response to someone who shoots a compact camera and clearly does not want to contemplate getting five bodies plus 8 lenses, and I agree with the others, it may not be for me but these compact do-it all cameras can be really good. I would second suggestion of the Canon G series or the Sony RX. I always think the Canons seem more robust, but this is not based on any real evidence.

Think you missed the point which was simply "horses for courses." I have those kits and use them for obviously specific tasks aside from those of the OP. Probably shoot the X-100T and GR II the most.

I have a Canon Powershot G1X (first model) , with all its supposed faults , and although it is old and "outdated" , I really like this camera.

I think that it is an under-rated camera , but it can also be difficult to use properly sometimes.

When I want to use a small almost pocket sized digital camera I use (horrors) , an outdated Canon Powershot SX100is.

This is just me . but if I had the Ricoh , I would keep it.

• Like 1