m42 lens I.D. help please

andrew_spence1

I've never heard of "T.M" as a brand, though it may just stand for "Thread Mount," otherwise unbranded/generic.

If it was made in Korea, there's a good chance it was made by Samyang, whose lenses were also sold under other brand names.

The serial number of the lens may confirm this. There are Vivitar and Soligor serial number lists published online, and I believe their manufacturers may have used the same serial number schemes for other brands of lenses also.

Edited by m42dave

ive got a T.M. 200mm f3.5 m42 mount lens made in Korea

that i fixed and cleaned it has 4 elements in it

and theres nothing on the internet about it

im guessing its a cheap lens

have any of you ever heard of it

i was given the lens many years ago

Guys heres a photo of the lens i should have done this on the original post ifs definitely an m42 mount lens221.thumb.JPG.8a34fdeb5c108e28e6b4a68be1153613.JPG 222.thumb.JPG.5f945156cd78100664a4240602de7ccc.JPG 225.thumb.JPG.4beb6b4e41b792894d17ee5d20316b57.JPG 225.thumb.JPG.4beb6b4e41b792894d17ee5d20316b57.JPG

Your photo doesn't show a pin for the auto diaphragm mechanism that I would expect since it doesn't appear to have a preset diaphragm (those lenses usually have two rings with the f/stops engraved). Does it stop down when you turn the ring or does the diaphragm stay open? If it stays open then it is missing the actuating pin and will only work at full aperture. I would be surprised if it is a T-mount since T-mount lenses are generally preset and not auto diaphragm.

Thanks for following my suggestion and posting these images. As @JDMW says, it could be a T-mount lens, which would fit other makes of camera with the appropriate adapter. I am a little confused by the aperture ring - it does not appear to be a 'normal' pre-set, where one ring sets the required aperture, and the other closes down to shoot, yet equally there is no actuator pin on the mount. Is this a variant of which I am unaware ?

Update - you beat me to it, @AJG !

I agree that it doesn't look like a T-mount adapter, which would be larger. I see what looks like a hole on the mount flange, where the stop-down pin should be, but perhaps it is stuck or missing, as AJG mentioned.

Samyang has made some T-mount lenses, but they were mirror lenses and long teles.

Cosmetically, the lens looks similar to some Chinon lenses (they did have a 200/3.5), some of which were made in Korea. I don't know if Chinon sourced those particular lenses from Samyang (or another manufacturer) or if they had their own facilities there.

Edited by m42dave

guys i took the stop down pin out as the mechanism was broken below it

it looked like someone had tried to fix it before i got it as there were parts missing

however i managed to connect the aperture ring to the aperture control inside the lens using a long spring

the lens now changes aperture using the standard ring but is now a non A m42 lens

i even got all 4 elements out and washed off a haze on the inside of some of them leaving the coating undamaged its a lot clearer now

i hope this explanation helps

thanks for all your replies im thinking of using it next week on my 5d mk2