F6 Officially Discontinued

FPapp

Just checked, it's up on B&H again in back-order at $2,599.00. So this means it is still being produced then, as promised.

Still in production? Doubtful. Suspect Nikon is just shipping remaining inventory to distributors on an as needed/ordered basis given minuscule demand.

• Like 1

Still in production? Doubtful. Suspect Nikon is just shipping remaining inventory to distributors on an as needed/ordered basis given minuscule demand.

When I posted the last comments, B&H was accepting "pre-order", so I pre-ordered. So this seemed to indicate that new units will be available. However, I received an email from B&H this morning (as follows) saying it is discontinued. Too bad. Their website also says it's discontinued now.

upload_2020-12-4_14-37-15.thumb.png.ea62710c0fa1d80c7a95925bd8c9c71f.png

Edited by Mary Doo

When I posted the last comments, B&H was accepting "pre-order", so I pre-ordered. So this seemed to indicate that new units will be available. However, I received an email from B&H this morning (as follows) saying it is discontinued. Too bad. Their website also says it's discontinued now.

[ATTACH=full]1366985[/ATTACH]

Sorry. Recall that the last of them up here passed thru Nikon.ca in late 2018. They'd been a special order item for quite some time. Any chance of a refurb?

For some reason, every time I see this on my Alert list, I read it as "E6 discontinued".

Hopefully that doesn't happen soon.

You're right I need E6 not F6 because if you want an F6 you should already have one and it would last a long long time but without the E6 it's useless.

Maybe the Z6 will soon be discontinued. The D6, perhaps not very soon. :cool:

May be the D6 will be around for 16 years like the F6 or perhaps 8 years half of the F6 because Nikon D series cycle on half that of the F. And then quietly discontinued like the F6.

I think it depends mostly if Canon would continue to introduce new 1D series or not. If Canon stops I think Nikon would also stop. Just like the EOS-1V and F6. They leave them in product lineup for a long time. Not selling many then discontinuing without saying anything.

What does Discontinued actually mean in the way Nikon uses it?

With something like the recent Z6ii coming out, it instantly makes the Z6 'obsolete', but it's not officially Discontinued.

New Z6s are still available from official sellers. However, if they sell out, I guess it's discontinued!

Looks like they finally sold the last NEW F6!

What does Discontinued actually mean in the way Nikon uses it?

With something like the recent Z6ii coming out, it instantly makes the Z6 'obsolete', but it's not officially Discontinued.

New Z6s are still available from official sellers. However, if they sell out, I guess it's discontinued!

Looks like they finally sold the last NEW F6!

"Discontinued" typically means no more production for inventory, i.e., the tap's been turned off and what's in the tank is all there is.

• Like 1

Preordered. Hoping it is like a new unt.

My experience with Nikon.ca refurbs has been good. They were all "open box" or store demo stock(never the sacrificial BestBuy beat-to-hell stuff or returns) that couldn't be sold as new. Zero or a few dozen clicks. Hope it works out!

• Like 2

Once upon a time, I had an urge about the F6 but I didn't end up getting it. Didn't really make rational sense when I have a great F100 already and I don't use it awfully a lot. It also doesn't use AA batteries so a bit of a bummer there. If I was spending the time I could just use one of my medium format cameras. One can get them second hand for about 65% less than the new price. Ie $800-1,000US.

A 35mm film camera is more about mobility. But that said, for a new Nikon F6 price if you can still get them at some stores one could even get a dated Phase One or Leaf digital back.

My experience with Nikon.ca refurbs has been good. They were all "open box" or store demo stock(never the sacrificial BestBuy beat-to-hell stuff or returns) that couldn't be sold as new. Zero or a few dozen clicks. Hope it works out!

My refurb D500 had six clicks on the shutter when I got it!

Once upon a time, I had an urge about the F6 but I didn't end up getting it. Didn't really make rational sense when I have a great F100 already and I don't use it awfully a lot. It also doesn't use AA batteries so a bit of a bummer there. If I was spending the time I could just use one of my medium format cameras. One can get them second hand for about 65% less than the new price. Ie $800-1,000US.

A 35mm film camera is more about mobility. But that said, for a new Nikon F6 price if you can still get them at some stores one could even get a dated Phase One or Leaf digital back.

The F100 is about 95% of the camera the F6 is for about 10% of the(used) F6 price.

I love my F6, and in fact was just using it today. There's a heck of a lot to like about it, and there may be one feature that's a deal-maker vs. the F100 or a whole bunch of "nice to have" or a whole bunch of "who cares" features depending on your photography and/or lenses. Offhand, vs. an F100

What I care about:

1. Standard integrated data back with between-frame data printing(the F100 only does date)

2. Plain-text custom function and set-up menus, no cheater cards needed

3. Matrix metering with non-CPU lenses

The nice but not a big deal features:

1. Ability to manually rewind. I usually use this to squeeze a bit more life out of the CR123As, although I'm still on the first set I put in mine when I got it maybe a year and a half ago.

2. Super quiet shutter and film advance.

Neutral:

1. AF system is more advanced than any other Nikon film camera. The F5 and F100 had the same CAM 1300 5-point AF system. The F6 uses the CAM 2000 11 point system from the D2H/D2X. This is a mixed bag-on one hand the extra AF points aren't overly useful especially since they're designed for a DX frame, so you just have more points clustered over only a slightly larger area than the 5 point system in the F100. On the other hand, 9 AF points in the F6 are cross-type, while I think only the center is cross type in the F5/F100. This may be my imagination, but although the F6 doesn't necessarily rack screwdriver lenses like an F5(if you've used one, or a D1 series, you know what I'm talking about) the AF does seem more decisive and hunt a bit less than the older systems. I find that it will lock with a bit less contrast(on the F100 I'm often looking for an obvious line or something else, while the F6 is a bit less picky).

2. Gripped, the high speed performance is equal to the F5 at 8fps. Without a grip, it runs at 5.5fps. I don't care about frame rates on a film camera-in 2020 I'm struggling to come up with a situation where digital isn't the better tool if you need those kind of speeds.

3. i-TTL flash. This will stretch compatibility forward with newer flash units than plain old TTL, but I find that plain film TTL or even just plain old auto thyristor type flash works just as well. These days, most of my flash work is with studio lights, so in-camera flash metering is useless to me anyway. Still, though, some folks love i-TTL, and I THINK(don't hold me to this-I haven't experimented) you can use the F6 with Nikon's wireless system.

I wouldn't trade my F6 for anything now that I have it, but after owning one after using an F100 a fair bit, I can also pretty safely say you're not missing a whole lot.