P.S. For the ELVES:

I was simply practising philosophy.

haha

I think we Americans may currently owe it to the rest of the world to give up our unique spellings. Considering our current lameness, even I am willing to spell practice with an s. Let me try it and see how much it hurts. Practise. There. Not so bad, though I did have to override my American spell checker!

Anyway, they say practise (ouch) makes perfect, though I doubt practising philosophy will yield perfection. [Plato, of course, would not agree. Wittgenstein would.]

Here’s a quote that seems to want to add at least a degree of Philosophy to practise in order to form a ... um ... more perfect union.

He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards a ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast.

Leonardo da Vinci

So, here’s to the practise of Philosophy, accomplished with rudder and compass, providing a sense of direction even while keeping one adrift.

Happy sails!

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

No, not really -

I am the 1st person.

You (thee) are (is) the 2nd person.

He is the 3rd person.

And, thus, you’ve introduced an interesting topic in the Philosophy of Language, one of my favorites because it’s about the ever-changing reference of certain words like I, You, Here, Now, and Today. It is said that such words offer two types of meaning. The content of these words changes depending on who says them and when and where, while the character of these words remains the same. When you and I utter him, we may well be referring to two different people but doing so with a word that has an otherwise consistent meaning in the sense of the character of the word. If I say today today, I refer to a different day than if I say it tomorrow, yet today also retains its meaning.

INDEXICALS

It’s not that much of a stretch to relate this to photography, where it often is an advantage to understand the differences and relationship between the content of a photo and the character of a photo and how we can sometimes change one of those without changing the other.

Next up in the list of my favorite type of words are those that, when uttered, are an act that changes reality rather than merely describing it, such as a promise. The uttering of a promise is the act of promising. Whether you fulfill the promise is another matter, but it takes no more than saying it and meaning it to make it.

PERFORMATIVES

A gold star to someone who can think of a photographic link to performatives. (Say cheese? Close, but not quite!)

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"