Waxed Canvas Camera Bags

Sanford

I don't own one; my personal wax fabric experience is limited to wax cotton jackets. A buddy wore pedestrian Barbours and came to the conclusion that the wax transfers to backpack straps and for that reason he needed wax- & other- jacket backpacks, which he kept strictly apart...

Others fuzz less. Some re-wax less, others stay dry...

• 3 weeks later...

The wax is applied on the outer surface and absorbed through the cloth.

As stated, the wax diminishes over time and needs to be reapplied to maintain the water resistant quality.

After many years of use I have never ever had any issue with transfer to any item.

When I re-treat my articles a little heat with a hair dryer aids in even distribution and absorption.

Most camera type bags would be lined or padded I expect.

I have used a Barbour waxed canvas bag for many years with a bit of 1/2” armaflex for padding.

Excellently adaptable.

Edited by Moving On
  • Like 1

It's a poor material choice. Go for Domke bags in ballistic nylon. Waxed cotton isn't very resistant to abrasion. Anyone whoever owned a Barbour coat, especially the more common lighter-weight, non thorn-proof variety, knows they wear fairly quickly around the cuffs and seams along the arms, elbows and shoulders. Look for a waxed cotton Domke to wear at the bottom corners or the high points of creases and folds.

Had Domke's for years, never noticed any particular propensity to wear. The ballistic nylon is stiffer and much less pleasant in my opinion. The canvas molds to your body which is nice. I never bother with waxing, although it is there to make the bag waterproof. A good downpour would soak a canvas bag, but it seems never to have been an issue to me either. If it really is pouring I generally (like most people) take shelter. If you are wilderness trekking you can put your bag under your waterproof or similar. As far as I can see wax does not transfer to equipment to any degree worth worrying about.
Robin Smith

If I was going to carry ballistic nylon, I’d just as soon use a Pelican instead.

It’s tough and I have some gun cases made from it, but it’s not particularly my choice for a camera bag.

Never had a thin lightweight non thorn proof Barbour jacket.

I have an Outback coat that has been through everything on horseback and otherwise, is 23 years old, and still in great shape. Definitely NOT a “poor material choice”. There are different grades so to say that is a bit ill informed.

I have tool bags made of waxed canvas that I’d put up against ballistic nylon.

I do have a Billingham bag but it’s not been through a lot yet.

Edited by Moving On

34A992C9-D613-4B0F-A777-E1C26A0F9A6A.thumb.jpeg.0fb35c6d151adcfbba21de30cc433d0b.jpeg The white canvas Klein bag is over 25 years old, non waxed, note the holes, heavy use for tools.

The two Tool Bags are waxed canvas, incredibly tough from Saddleback.

They hold sockets, wrenches, etc. and they’ve been tossed into tool boxes, truck beds, concrete floors for years.

The Brown Shoulder bag is a Barbour, has been on horseback in rain and snow, up Nohoch Mul in Coba with water bottles and camera using an insulated liner, on countless job sites with cameras, phones, IPads etc.

The Saddleback waxed canvas bag has a 100 year warranty.

As for showing wear, everything I own and use shows wear.

Edited by Moving On

• 2 weeks later...

Sanford,

I love the feel and texture of waxed cotton. It makes a wonderful barn coat. I realize that modern day laminates including Gortex are lighter but for me there is an aesthetic property to Barbour waxed coats that can’t be beat. I think that is why they are still around. Also even Gortex and laminate breathable materials that I own for travel and the US Militatry now uses must be be taken care of and will loose a battle with barb wire. We have not had problems with ours leaving residue though I can understand if it happens. As well I have a PVC/cotton Calcutta rain coat for off shore and it is a very heavy sun of a gun. The Domke Rugged Wear bags are beautiful and classic. I love the brand. I am sure if they were bad and goofing up camera gear on the inside they would not sell. Anyway the nautical legacy of wax cloth is interesting and is part of the appeal.

Good hunting.

• Like 1

Sanford,

I love the feel and texture of waxed cotton. It makes a wonderful barn coat. I realize that modern day laminates including Gortex are lighter but for me there is an aesthetic property to Barbour waxed coats that can’t be beat. I think that is why they are still around. Also even Gortex and laminate breathable materials that I own for travel and the US Militatry now uses must be be taken care of and will loose a battle with barb wire. We have not had problems with ours leaving residue though I can understand if it happens. As well I have a PVC/cotton Calcutta rain coat for off shore and it is a very heavy sun of a gun. The Domke Rugged Wear bags are beautiful and classic. I love the brand. I am sure if they were bad and goofing up camera gear on the inside they would not sell. Anyway the nautical legacy of wax cloth is interesting and is part of the appeal.

Good hunting.

What a 19th century technology!

I have Reebok warm and tough trainers made of some kind of nylon or alike fabric, with insulators - I can stand in water wearing them, and they do not leak, no waxing!

I have 1995 Vanguard Havana bag, looks like new, no waxing! The negative thing about it that the bag does not have waterproof/dustproof zippers of the upper cap but I can put it on the wet snow - no leaks.

P.S.

Please, do not say that I am hyping Reebok here or spam or looking for debate over adidas fans, dimwits of all sorts! :mad:

Edited by ruslan