Nikon Introduces Z50 Mirrorless DX Body and Kit lenses

ShunCheung

The D5x00 have a screen which can be flipped to the side of the camera and towards the subject. However, it's easy to think of ways in which it could be broken in normal usage. And the active area of the screen is fairly small compared to models which do not have as much flexibility in this area.

While a screen that folds down would be inconvenient for tripod-based shots if you use a small QR plate but if you use an L-bracket it should be possible to mount it in such a way that you can see most of the screen from the front side of the camera.

you've got to have very long arms to take a selfie with this. There are no lenses wide enough yet for anything other than a full-on single face shot.

I am not following your thinking. People take selfies with their arm out with mobile phones all the time and don't seem to mind the perspective.

A mirrorless Nikon with an F mount makes so much sense that I can't help but believe there must be one on the way.

Don't hold your breath.

Nikon expect you to buy the 269 quid FTZ adapter.

And besides, what would be the point of a mirrorless Nikon with 25mm of extra nose that couldn't take Z lenses? Or any other camera's adapted lenses? Macro work excepted of course.

• Like 1

A mirrorless Nikon with an F mount makes so much sense that I can't help but believe there must be one on the way.

Maybe, IF Nikon wanted to keep going with the F mount.

But Nikon has made a strategic move, to go from the F mount to the Z mount, for mirrorless.

And since they made the FTZ adapter, there is no need for a F mount mirrorless, which would only slow the migration to the Z mount.

IMHO, the only new F mount cameras will be dSLRs, until the dSLR market shuts down.

They may still prioritise their cameras to FX. Encouraging Z DX users to FX. I had a quick look at the roadmap and there wasn't really much DX Z lenses for ther dedicated DX shooter. Like the dSLRs, the 17-5mm 2.8 didn't get updated, there was also no DX wide angle primes and anthing more than 50mm they had to purchase FX to use on DX.

It may not be a portable smaller sleek DX system for say street photography or that serious family guy on vacation who prefer not to purchase and carry FX.

• 2 weeks later...
That's still $200 more than the corresponding D7500 two-lens kit: Nikon D7500 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm and 70-300mm VR Lenses Kit that currently sells everywhere for just under $1K.

A refurbished D7500 is $599: Nikon D7500 DSLR Camera (Body Only, Refurbished by Nikon USA)

I am almost tempted ;)

That just tells you that there is still plenty of room for Nikon to discount the Z50. Previously, the 50-500 DX zoom sells for $350 and the two-lens kit was also $350 over the one-lens kit. Now you are getting some actual discount buying two lenses instead of one.

Unless I buy a compact camera such that I would have no choice, I don't think I'll ever buy a DSLR or mirrorless with interchangeable lenses with only one card slot and that is SD. I can trust two SD cards in the backup mode; one SD is too risky for me given the options that are available. And when you already have the D500, there seems to be no point to get the D7500.

I don't think I'll ever buy a DSLR or mirrorless with interchangeable lenses with only one card slot and that is SD

Five years shooting with a Sony A7, A7II, and A7RII - all of which have a single SD card slots - and not a single image lost because of a card failure; ten years with single CF-card-slot bodies - lost images once due to a bad 8GB memory card. But it's tough to rely on a single card if there are two-slot options available. Most of the time I shoot one card (XQD) only in the D500 - the 2nd one (SD) slows things down too much; calculated risk? The only cameras I always use two cards with the 2nd in backup mode are the D810 and the A7RIII as speed isn't a determining factor with them most of the time.

And when you already have the D500, there seems to be no point to get the D7500.

Size and weight mostly - but as you said, single SD-card-slot cameras aren't up-to-date anymore.

Five years shooting with a Sony A7, A7II, and A7RII - all of which have a single SD card slots - and not a single image lost because of a card failure

Well, I have physically lost several SD cards early on, when I first started using them on the D7000 and then later on D7100 and D750. SD are small enough that they can fall into gaps in sofas, etc. Back then a 64G SD card was like $120 and I lost a few. After that, I have become super careful with SD cards. To date, I have never lost any CF card or XQD card. And then I have cracked a few SD cards and the little switch broke on a few more.

I was very surprised that Nikon decided to put Micro SD on some of the later Nikon 1 bodies. I am afraid that future Type A CFx card, which are slightly smaller than standard SD, will have similar issues. XQD/CFx Type B are far more robust. I just hope that prices for CFx will come down quickly once the format becomes more popular.

I don’t think I ever lost images by losing or breaking a card between shooting and offloading, but I agree that SD cards feel like delicate objects and if I had somebody paying me a few thousand dollars to shoot their wedding I wouldn’t trust a single SD card.

I don’t think I ever lost images by losing or breaking a card between shooting and offloading, but I agree that SD cards feel like delicate objects and if I had somebody paying me a few thousand dollars to shoot their wedding I wouldn’t trust a single SD card.

If affraid of "fragile"SD cards, ther are also "Sony SDHC xxGB Tough" series available.. :)

Apart from this, i think the combo of a Z50 with the new "NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR" might be a nice camera to slide easely into the pocket , and that way a good camera for "street photography" and thus could be a good alternative for the smaller DSLR's ...

But then I don't think I would use the Z50 for a paid wedding job. I think the Canon RP is a better deal selling for only about $140 more.