Bokeh

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Maybe its just me, but shooting Nikon I think that I get the best bokeh from the older manual AI type lenses, such as the 105 f 2.5, 55 micro nikkor, and so forth. Although, my 18-70 kit lens that came on my D70 has pretty nice bokeh! I'm sure each of us has favorites.

Older lenses have fine microcontrast and often have interesting bokeh. That gives them a so-called organic look.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here's a lens that at least at one time was quite popular and seems to have well-liked bokeh wide open, but is somewhat divisive when stopped down.

A lot of my use of this particular lens is at or near infinity, and I don't have a scan at hand of an image that really shows an OOF background. I've never been too bothered by it, but then when I'm using it at closer distances I also tend to have it wide open or nearly so.

[ATTACH=full]1284809[/ATTACH]

My use of this same lens for a "bokeh" effect can be seen below.

I sometimes use the blurred background to help frame the shot...

[ATTACH=full]1284745[/ATTACH]

Just revisiting this thread, as I see it's still going strong. I must say that I haven't really considered bokeh as a photographic technique in and of itself, Isn't more a by-product? Then again, since it's become such a "thing" I guess it seems there are lenses made with bokeh in mind, eh?