I used to have a Nikon 9000 connected to an old Windows Vista machine used only for scanning. When the Nikon died, I sent the whole shebang off to recycled-electronics-heaven and bought a Plustek 120. While I liked the Nikon better, the Plustek works fine, and I now have lots more free space on my desk. Life goes on, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
I used to have a Nikon 9000 connected to an old Windows Vista machine used only for scanning. When the Nikon died, I sent the whole shebang off to recycled-electronics-heaven and bought a Plustek 120. While I liked the Nikon better, the Plustek works fine, and I now have lots more free space on my desk. Life goes on, I guess.

Thank you Kent!

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse me for going off on a slight tangent here, but:

With the current (supposed) resurgence of film photography, do people believe there is a chance Nikon/Canon release a new film scanner? It's really a pity that an entire segment of a (admittedly minuscule) marker basically does not exist anymore. I'd be on a Nikon Coolscan 10000 in a heartbeat!

• Like 1

I think Nikon would think it would be kind of a negative prestige thing to do -- branding itself as trying to look backward instead of forward. I don't think that is the case but I think they would perceive it that way. Course Nikon did do the S3 2000 so maybe it's not impossible, but I think the chances are slim. Some photography company might see a niche they could fill though. Did Canon ever do film scanners? Minolta did, but they were assimilated into the Sony collective. Resistance was futile. :eek:
  • Like 3

With the current (supposed) resurgence of film photography, do people believe there is a chance Nikon/Canon release a new film scanner? It's really a pity that an entire segment of a (admittedly minuscule) marker basically does not exist anymore. I'd be on a Nikon Coolscan 10000 in a heartbeat!

Not a chance.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

f you have a digital camera with at least 24 MP resolution, you can buy a macro lens and 35 mm slide/film holder for a fraction of the cost of a film scanner and achieve the same resolution and quality. It is also much faster, 5-10 rolls/hour compared to 1-2 hours/roll. Negative film is more difficult, due to the uncertainty of converting to positive images.I use Silverfast HDR for this conversion, but it can be done manually too. Slides are easy - what you see is what you get. You can even improve the exposure and color in the process.

There aren't convenient tools, like a Nikon ES-2 copying attachment, for larger film formats. A copy stand with a light table is probably the best, but I make do with a Novoflex focusing rail with a film copying attachment. This is a medium format shot I took overlooking Telluride, CO, probably on Fuji Reala. The copy was made using a Sony A7Rii, 42 MP, using a Nikon 55/2.8 MicroNikkor lens.

M040822e_0001.jpg.028ad1a177818113584795a5e36cdb52.jpg

Edited by Ed_Ingold
  • Like 1

that would be nice. i'd go for a new scanner!

f you have a digital camera with at least 24 MP resolution, you can buy a macro lens and 35 mm slide/film holder for a fraction of the cost of a film scanner and achieve the same resolution and quality. It is also much faster, 5-10 rolls/hour compared to 1-2 hours/roll. Negative film is more difficult, due to the uncertainty of converting to positive images.I use Silverfast HDR for this conversion, but it can be done manually too. Slides are easy - what you see is what you get. You can even improve the exposure and color in the process.

There aren't convenient tools, like a Nikon ES-2 copying attachment, for larger film formats. A copy stand with a light table is probably the best, but I make do with a Novoflex focusing rail with a film copying attachment. This is a medium format shot I took overlooking Telluride, CO, probably on Fuji Reala. The copy was made using a Sony A7Rii, 42 MP, using a Nikon 55/2.8 MicroNikkor lens.

[ATTACH=full]1271115[/ATTACH]

i prefer film scanner. especially older color negs and slides, Digital ICE comes really handy.

• 3 months later...

does anyone know how long it takes to run an uncut roll of 36 through the new primefilm XAs at 300ppi with no digital ice or focus adjustments?

How about the same, but at 4000ppi and digital ice and any other recommended multisampling things?

Does this work well?

Does it always find the frames accurately when doing this?

Is the focus on point most of the time?

I am sure the quality is fine, as I really just share on the web and sometimes do darkroom prints. I just need to an easier was to preview my negatives. I dont relaly care if it takes 2 hours to process a full roll, if I could get it set quickly, get it started and walk away.

I want to use this to make small files and then do the "print contact sheet" method in windows. Except I like the wallet size contact sheets with 6 images on an 8x10. If I was able to spend 5 min getting this set up for an entire roll and then walk away it would be fantastic.

I have a coolscan v ed LS 50 and it is great, but if this were able to do the same thing but scan a full roll all at once I would consider it.

I am also considering flatbed for this, and have another thread. Although I am a bit perplexed why no one else seems to have this issue.

Perhaps its because I have so little time to spend on photography, that even 1 hour in the evening spent wrestling my coolscan is far too much. I have time to take photos and occasionally do darkroom prints, which is the only reason I shoot film. I would share more digitally, and want to, but there is just no way to do that right now it seems, that is both quick and painless and inexpensive.

I had posted this in another forum

Forums>Equipment>Nikon

Hello,

after 10+ years my nikon IV ED is giving me trouble, took it to a repair shop here in Brazil and they said they can't fix it.

we're going to Germany in december.

Anyone recommend a repair shop in Germany?

Anyone know Dostal & Rudolf GmbH in München?

We'll be near Nuremberg and Bamberg.

Thank you very much!!

Go to this Facebook page or google it, 2 individuals repair them in the USA affordably. Frank and Gleb.

Nikon Coolscan Users

Failing that:

Frank, REPAIR of NIKON COOLSCAN Full Restoration Service for IV V 4000 5000 scanners | eBay

Gleb

Service and Repair of Nikon Coolscan Scanners

I managed to get my CS4000 repaired after 6yrs in storage. I did buy it used after they were discontinued. There is a fella in the Netherland but they might not be as comprehensive with diff issues / causes. There is also a guy called Alex in the USA who might be a former Nikon Engineer but he's v expensive, no component repair and simply swap parts out, maybe he got a stash of parts when he retired from them....

VueScan Newsletter 7

Edit. Oops. Didn't know you got it repaired. But FYI for the others ....

Go to this Facebook page or google it, 2 individuals repair them in the USA affordably. Frank and Gleb.

Nikon Coolscan Users

Failing that:

Frank, REPAIR of NIKON COOLSCAN Full Restoration Service for IV V 4000 5000 scanners | eBay

Gleb

Service and Repair of Nikon Coolscan Scanners

I managed to get my CS4000 repaired after 6yrs in storage. I did buy it used after they were discontinued. There is a fella in the Netherland but they might not be as comprehensive with diff issues / causes. There is also a guy called Alex in the USA who might be a former Nikon Engineer but he's v expensive, no component repair and simply swap parts out, maybe he got a stash of parts when he retired from them....

VueScan Newsletter 7

Edit. Oops. Didn't know you got it repaired. But FYI for the others ....

Thank you anyway RaymondC. will keep this info. haven't been to the US since june 2014, planning going this year again. lived in NYC for 19 years - 1983-2002

Cheers!

Thank you anyway RaymondC. will keep this info. haven't been to the US since june 2014, planning going this year again. lived in NYC for 19 years - 1983-2002

Cheers!

I myself and many others ship our scanners to them with international freight. It is really just 5 working day delivery. A lot of jut don't have any one who can repair them like here in New Zealand. I was able to send them just the motherboard.