Over the years are you still a large zoom user?

RaymondC

I still tend to use primes with 35mm film, and of course I don't have a bank account big enough to even buy into the systems that HAVE zooms in medium format. The one "zoom" I latched onto when I was mostly using 70s/80s equipment was the Vivitar Series 1 Varifocal 35-85 2.8, and I liked it enough that I have been keeping my eyes open for one in Nikon mount. I'm pretty sure that it's the only non-manufacturer lens that has ever spent significant time in my bag.

From what I've been able to tell, the Varifocal 35-85/2.8 is a non-AI lens, so it is somewhat limited on what camera it can be mounted to.

But that would be a lens that I would have loved when I was shooting my F2, with it's meter prong coupling.

I have the slightly longer, variable aperture 35-105 on my F2. It replaced the shorter range 43-86 that I used for decades. Makes for less lens changing.

Edited by Gary Naka

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a 500 mirror? It qualifies as a prime lens.

I recently got one, because I always wanted a mirror lens.

And I used it this past week to shoot a tennis match. I had to shoot out over 5 courts to #6, and that was beyond the practical reach of my 75-300. The crop on the 300 was ugly, so I needed the longer lens.

From what I've been able to tell, the Varifocal 35-85/2.8 is a non-AI lens, so it is somewhat limited on what camera it can be mounted to.

But that would be a lens that I would have loved when I was shooting my F2, with it's meter prong coupling.

A quick look on Ebay shows both non-AI and AI lenses, although the non-AI version seems more common.

The AI versions look to be "real" AI lenses, of course with the double row of aperture numbers and also a dramatically different design for the ring.

I think Vivitar made this lens up into the 80s, so it would make sense for them to have switched over to AI.

Today's best primes are so spectacular that, sometimes, I am willing to carry a second or third. So, yes, I prefer the superiority of primes! I zoom with my feet or crop.

However, the cost of multiple really long primes vs. my Sigma 150-600 keeps me in a zoom. While this Sigma Sport zoom is extremely good in the short focal lengths, it is a bit(!) cumbersome for walkabouts and candids!

"I have always preferred inspiration to information.” - Man Ray

“The eye should learn to listen before it looks.” - Robert Frank

“To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

"A camera is a tool for learning how to see without a camera.” - Dorothea Lange

yes, the big sig is amazing. today, i used it for micro because it was the one lens I left the house with. not as good as the sigma 105, but very multi purpose:

37182168710_5502f4a9d0_b.jpg_171001_135735_RAL8857 by BG Day, on Flickr

“To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

please define, "a large zoom user?"

user of a 6 pound long telephoto zoom (like me)

- or -

largely using zooms versus primes (not like me)

- or -

a 300 pound zoom user (LOL)

• Like 1

Getting too old to tote around my 5D III and 5D II and all of those heavy lenses so after careful research, I rented a Fuji X-e2 and X-Pro2 for a week each along with two prime lenses, the 23mm and 56mm. Before the week was out, I order the new Fuji X-e3 and should have it this week. I ordered it with the 18-55 as it was quite a deal, then ordered the 27mm pancake. If it works out as well as I expect, I'm going to order another with a prime lens.

So the answer is NO, I'm not much of a zoom user anymore. I'm putting all of my Canon equipment, much as I love it, up for sale.

Zooms always have a look of distance.

An outsider looking in.

Sorry Allen, Very pat, but not very credible, and a bit "one size fits all." A little like saying that when I got my first Nikon 24mm, it was a "do all" lens because I shot everything with it for months, landscapes to nudes. Influences of Sieff.

Edited by Sandy Vongries
  • Like 2

Zooms always have a look of distance.

A outsider looking in.

There are wide ones too, so I don't understand your statement, unless you figured out that a wide zoom alienates you significantly from your subjects, compared to a prime shot from the same point.

"Sorry Allen, Very pat, but not very credible, and a bit "one size fits all."

Okay, a few thoughts..

Jack of all trades but a master of non. Unless you spend serious money on a zoom it will be always inferior to a prime lens...simple physics.

I was thinking of street photography and the zoom gives that far away look..

Primes will always do better at any focal length.

You are right, except that with quality zooms and decent technique the differences are largely academic. Certainly, on a car trip, I could take all of my primes in a couple of large hard cases. It is much handier to take two camera bodies, a fast 50 and three zooms in a manageable ready to use camera bag.