Spam again

colin carron

Most of the spam has been posted in the early morning US hours. I've been able to catch a lot of it because I'm in Europe right now, They assume nobody will see it until "work time" in the US. There's also historically been a lot of spam on weekends. It is getting zapped pretty quickly since the first crush a few days ago.

... haha . . . you are doing me out of a job!

Being down here, I often get to see that spam, before those folk in the USA.

FYI - 30 more just removed from "No Words" and the Users were deleted.

It is getting zapped pretty quickly since the first crush a few days ago.

it shouldn’t have to get zapped, it shouldn’t be there. new users shouldn’t be able to post so many messages without their account being approved.

(and the 5 photos rule as a way of approving new users is ludicrous. what if, like Vincent Peri, you don’t have the technology to scan and post, etc, but you are a new use who can contribute to the forums ?)

Edited by Norman 202
  • Like 1

Glenn, can some sort of a CAPTCHA system, or some other gatekeeping or approval mechanism for new posters, be instituted so new accounts can't immediately post to forums? This is getting really bad. Is there a downside to having new accounts go through some kind of gatekeeping system in order to post? Would it be worse than the downside of the amount of SPAM we've been experiencing?
  • Like 1
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Glenn, can some sort of a CAPTCHA system, or some other gatekeeping or approval mechanism for new posters, be instituted so new accounts can't immediately post to forums? This is getting really bad. Is there a downside to having new accounts go through some kind of gatekeeping system in order to post? Would it be worse than the downside of the amount of SPAM we've been experiencing?

Many thanks from this quarter as well, for keeping on top of the spam removal. Glenn, can you give us an update on how the spam prevention is going? And also an update on the problem a lot of us are having posting our photos, getting the error message that the file is too large when that's not the case, which you thought may be related to new spam filters being tested. That's been going on for a couple of weeks, often necessitates four or five tries to get a photo uploaded, sometimes requiring quitting and relaunching the browser. And, yes, thanks so much again to the moderators who are diligently keeping things pretty spic and span . . . and spam free! :)
  • Like 1