Another new look??

michaellinder

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where?

Please provide links to specific examples.

Thanks.

No, I don't have to provide sources, this site is on trial, not me. Besides, it wouldn't be very nice of me to provide a listing of PNet competitors.

Julie, let it go. You're battling windmills all alone. I've made comments that, while blunt, are factual. If they cross any boundaries, then the mods are welcome to remove them.

the other sites where comments are made and hundreds of views occur in a few hours.

It would be very helpful if you would provide us links to specific examples. If we can see what these sites are doing, what kind of hundreds of people are willing to critique, what kind of picture hundreds of people want to critique, and what kind of critique such hundreds of people are willing to contribute, we can learn from them how to do p.net better.

It's my contention that people simply don't want to do critiques any more. Period. Old-timers loved it, still love it and want it, but they're the dinosaurs. The rest of the world has found out that, while asking for a critique is essentially free, doing or giving a critique is time- and effort-intensive with no reward. Why on earth would any rational person do such a thing?

Your specific link examples of:

the other sites where comments are made and hundreds of views occur in a few hours.

... would go a long way to proving me wrong. And would be very helpful for the site's builders. Of course if there are no such links, it will be helpful in letting them know that they don't need to waste any more time putzing around with making critiquing any more attractive. People aren't coming. No need to:

revamp this dog

... we should simply:

do us all a favor and pull the plug...

... on critiqueing. (New) people aren't interested in doing it any more. Change. It happens.

Declarative statements don't make them any more true.

The rest of the world has found out that, while asking for a critique is essentially free, doing or giving a critique is time- and effort-intensive with no reward. Why on earth would any rational person do such a thing?

Questions, on the other hand, can be extremely revealing. A rational person would do such a thing out of community-mindedness, out of a desire to share something with someone else, because they are moved by a photo and want to let the photographer know that. Rewards? The reward I used to get from critiquing was establishing a dialogue (a meaningful one, about photos . . . PHOTOS!) And, by focusing myself on critiquing someone else's work, I found myself becoming a better seer and a better photographer. By articulating my thoughts about content, composition, style, processing, etc., I was learning, myself. It requires a modicum of empathy.

But, I suspect Julie knows the answers to her own questions as, for months, she's been dedicatedly first in line to critique the Photo of the Week, doing exactly what she's pretending not to know anything about.

• Like 3
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Just for experiment I was about to comment on some bicycles against a mountain scape and wondered what our colleague Supriyo had to say. I can't see any comments. to left of Supriyo name how come? And frankly the buffet of kind of bland choices such as admire would be better put below the Comment on this One Please choice. Whoops, first you have to click on the lower left text. I wonder who thought this up. Likely the guy that trimmed the maze in the Overlook Hotel in the movie with Jack Nicholson you know the one...life sure is getting harder and harder to navigate. Kind of a lonely feeling. Edited by GerrySiegel

The very same people, who had written countless critiques on my photos the week before!

IIRC, the majority of people who had those activity icons at the end of PN1 were those who commented on photos (critiques) and the NW forum contributors. The other forums were dead. PN management should remember that.

Given that the gallery is having problems, I think it would be a good idea if management drop the rule about having critiques in other forums and allow something like HCSP's Image Critique thread in say, Casual Conversations. This would give us some idea of the popularity of critiques in PN2

Just for experiment I was about to comment on some bicycles against a mountain scape and wondered what our colleague Supriyo had to say. I can't see any comments. to left of Supriyo name how come? And frankly the buffet of kind of bland choices such as admire would be better put below the Comment on this One Please choice. Whoops, first you have to click on the lower left text. I wonder who thought this up. Likely the guy that trimmed the maze in the Overlook Hotel in the movie with Jack Nicholson you know the one...life sure is getting harder and harder to navigate. Kind of a lonely feeling.

I also couldn't see my comment. So I rewrote it now by recalling from memory. It again vanished. So bizarre! Clearly, there's an issue that needs to be fixed. I wonder whether this is an issue with this particular photo, or all photos.

The photo in question: Col de Aubisque | Photo.net

• Like 1

It would be very helpful if you would provide us links to specific examples. If we can see what these sites are doing, what kind of hundreds of people are willing to critique, what kind of picture hundreds of people want to critique, and what kind of critique such hundreds of people are willing to contribute, we can learn from them how to do p.net better.

It's my contention that people simply don't want to do critiques any more. Period. Old-timers loved it, still love it and want it, but they're the dinosaurs. The rest of the world has found out that, while asking for a critique is essentially free, doing or giving a critique is time- and effort-intensive with no reward. Why on earth would any rational person do such a thing?

Your specific link examples of:

... would go a long way to proving me wrong. And would be very helpful for the site's builders. Of course if there are no such links, it will be helpful in letting them know that they don't need to waste any more time putzing around with making critiquing any more attractive. People aren't coming. No need to:

... we should simply:

... on critiqueing. (New) people aren't interested in doing it any more. Change. It happens.

My stats (past 30 days) from another site: 5271 Photo views 1213 Likes 16 Comments – So no, comments are not flowing...

Line's comment made me curious about the stats for the photos in the Photo of the Day, Editor's Picks, and Trending sections here on p.net. I added up the number of views and the number of comments for the first 50 photos in each section, and here is what I got:

Photo of the Day: 4218 views, 85 comments

Editor's Picks: 5209 views, 63 comments

Trending: 2378 views, 90 comments

• Like 1

"Complaint Department, How Can I help you Today? " People tend to do what they perceive worth while. Said my Socio prof. Motivation is supposed to be where if you say something about a photo the respondent will do that for you.... I am curious , having looked for years. that people are quick to praise, which naturally begets praise, well and good,, yet to give a suggestion on what might look better is tough to proffer in a nice but definitive form on line. As, I think ,Fred noted earlier it takes TIME and CARE. Long long ago I suggested PN might even consider a panel of photo pros to pick a photo and do a real in depth ( pay them natch), I even opined that I personally do not gain much from casual observation. Bob Atkins, at the time said that sounded well sort of elitist. Of course. I confess. Yet. One of the UK mags did it. It not only is a kind of dialogue that is interesting to more than an individual, but it teaches all how to respond to a photo Well, I really do not know if this reflection contributes to the lament in low volume. Of what has been a tough sell for a long time. I may be wrong. But I think not. Edited by GerrySiegel

I got 16 comments out of 5271 photo views...... That is not what I call a good average
I think its difficult to use 5K photos that have been uploaded over many years and point to 16 comments made in last 30 days and make any significant conclusions. Those that want more comments on their photos need to upload photos to their portfolios on a relatively consistent basis - the site is made so that newer photos (for better or worse) tend to get more attention/exposure than photos that have been here for years and years. The hope and expectation behind that is that people will continue to shoot and share - they continue to try things and implement elements they have received constructive feedback on.

Line you upload relatively often, so I would imagine the more recent photos tend to get more comments.

Edited by G-P

Line's comment made me curious about the stats for the photos in the Photo of the Day, Editor's Picks, and Trending sections here on p.net. I added up the number of views and the number of comments for the first 50 photos in each section, and here is what I got:

Photo of the Day: 4218 views, 85 comments

Editor's Picks: 5209 views, 63 comments

Trending: 2378 views, 90 comments

as long as you are doing the math, consider adding up the impression numbers, then consider comments made on photos within portfolios. Then for good measure, click on the photographers portfolios in this thread and see how many photos they've uploaded recently - those numbers surprise me more than anything mentioned yet.

I think its difficult to use 5K photos that have been uploaded over many years and point to 16 comments made in last 30 days and make any significant conclusions. Those that want more comments on their photos need to upload photos to their portfolios on a relatively consistent basis - the site is made so that newer photos (for better or worse) tend to get more attention/exposure than photos that have been here for years and years. The hope and expectation behind that is that people will continue to shoot and share - they continue to try things and implement elements they have received constructive feedback on.

Line you upload relatively often, so I would imagine the more recent photos tend to get more comments.

Earlier in this conversation someone said that people on other sites were receiving much more comments than on this site. What I posted were my own stats from another site showing that this is not so...

• Like 1