Monday in Nature, August 21, 2017 -- The Day of the Solar Eclipse

ShunCheung

I would like to hear other people's DIY solar filter idea. At first I really didn't care about the eclipse because there will be no total eclipse in New Jersey or New York. But then everyone was talking about it. The photo communities were talking about it. Even news made it a big deal. So it got my attention and I wanted to see if I can get a few shots of the eclipse.

My first filter for my point-and-shoot is to tape a portion of a toilet paper roll in front of a solar glasses and slide in front of the lens. I can still use the lens to watch the eclipse.

276497652_DIYSolarFilter1.thumb.jpg.99ff3baabbc471378e22e00b65b2b722.jpg

The blue rubber band is used as a counterweight so the glasses will stay horizontally and won't block the sun.

The second filter for my DSLR is to use a piece of the silver solar film and sandwiched it between two cut out cardboard that will fit into my Cokin P filter.

1263970017_DIYSolarFilter2.thumb.jpg.e10317b85e011e2a05b23181eec7d311.jpg

And here's the filters at work.

1128614442_DIYSolarFilter3.thumb.jpg.450efe60cb0570576226acd9282bd9eb.jpg

BTW, I paid just over $100 for a glass filter to fit the lenshood of my 500/f4.

I have quite a number of "free" 72mm and 77mm filters - meaning I did not need to buy anything new., Even the solar film was leftover bits Fedexed to me by my nephew as I was not able to find solar-anything anywhere. The filter shown above is a cut-out to fit a 72-77 stepup ring with a 77mm UV lens on top. This 72mm filter thread fits the Panasonoc-Leica 100-400mm lens for my Olympus M43 camera. Also made another one for the 77mm Olympus 300mm f/4 lens + 1.4. M43 has a 2x factor. Both of these lenses are considered "gigantic" by M43 standard but nothing like the size of your Nikon 500mm lens.

David and John, it must have been quite an effort to point your gigantic lenses upward for the total eclipse - with the tripod getting in the way etc.

Edited by Mary Doo

Just back from Idaho. Here's my first look. Check chromosphere and prominences at 12:00, 1:00, and 3:00. More to come...

[ATTACH=full]1205335[/ATTACH]

You have nailed the exposure. I like the pink plasmas. I can also see the filaments of the corona forming a complete loop towards the top, facts that we usually read in textbooks. Such fine features being discernible tells me that the focus was quite accurate.

Do we need a new thread to talk about our experiences?

Start one if you think it will be beneficial, which it probably will. It's going to happen again in a few years. This subject is unique and MiN got derailed. I think most folks have been excited about the event and went with the posts. No harm meant, no harm done. Sounds like everyone had a good time, so laizzez les bon temps rouler.:)

Next week, back to abiding by the guidelines with one image and no hand of man or woman in MiN. No streets with shoes either!

Great eclipse shots, everyone.

• Like 1

Do we need a new thread to talk about our experiences?

I think that the title of this thread is broad enough to include our experiences. There's been some interesting stories already.

Still, a dedicated thread might draw out more stories about getting there, post-eclipse traffic, etc.

David and John, it must have been quite an effort to point your gigantic lenses upward for the total eclipse - with the tripod getting in the way etc.

Here is how I set up. I spent over two hours tucked under the two tripods, but I was able to get under the cameras to see the screens and viewfinders.

20170821_093936.thumb.jpg.4a801a088ed9433b6fefc694467664ae.jpg