Was this photo staged?

As best as you can tell, does it appear as if this photo was staged? Is there any way it could've been taken candidly?

I ask because the story goes an amateur photographer happened to snap this photo for his photo class and asked my mother if she wanted to buy it, and she said sure. But it feels somehow too professional appearing to be have been shot in the moment. I don't know anything about the photographer or what equipment was used - this happened in 1973 - memories are fuzzy.

Anyone want to lend their opinion both on whether it was staged or not, and what techniques might have been used to create it?

The photo is 11 x 14.

Photo removed. Per the photo.net Terms of Use, do not post photos you did not take.

Edited by Spearhead

If by staged you mean, the photographer was ready with the camera and he/she asked the man to lift up the baby so he can frame the shot, yes it probably happened that way. The houses on the left are perfectly vertical. But the question is, does it matter? Did the photographer claim, it was shot on the spur of the moment, and your mom's decision to buy it was based on that? If that's the case, it's up to you guys.

As for what techniques were used, I don't see anything special in this picture to imagine any special skills were involved. It looks like a familiar and ordinary shot to me.

It is impossible to know, someone with a camera in hand and a quick mind to see a shot and instantaneous reaction time, maybe. The photographer could know this gentleman's demeanor and actions well and knows he does this everytime he sees this baby.

But then again how often have we seen a quick act that is photo gold, but it passes so quickly we miss the moment. Of course, we could ask, can you do that again, that would make a lovely photo.

Set up by the photographer or the man in the photo. This gentleman may know how to work the camera or work in front of a camera. I have run across people who just are great subjects and make photo moments.

I don't think it matters for family photos and Hollywood movies. A good photo is a good photo.

Cheers, Mark

I really like this photo. It would never occur to me to question whether the photo was staged or not.

I only asked out of curiosity. The photo was the only photograph of my grandfather with any of his grandchildren (he died two years later) and I guess having an inkling as to how it went down would in a way be like being there.

[quote="

Photo removed. Per the photo.net Terms of Use, do not post photos you did not take.

Francis, it looks like the moderators removed the photo per rules. The workaround that is acceptable is to put the link to the photo in your posting. That way all we have to do is click the link to see the photo and PN does not have to deal with an angry photographer that has his photo being displayed on this site without permission.

For those arriving late, the photo was a black and white image of an older gentleman raising a one or two year old high above him. It was a good shot and perhaps Francis will post a link to the photo so others can participate in the discussion.

Edited by Mark Keefer
Cheers, Mark

I had seen it but didn't have time to comment earlier. It didn't seem staged, though it wouldn't have made a difference to me, in this case, if it had been. The reasons it didn't seem staged is that most people photographing a baby would not want the arm I can't remember if it was the dad's or the baby's, to block most of the baby's face so I wouldn't think they would stage it that way. Of course, some might! Also, the man and baby were perfectly centered in the frame, which I sense was just part of the instinct of the photographer rather than a conscious decision. Also the man's stomach and chest filled a lot of the frame which, again, were it being staged might have been avoided in favor of a perspective that didn't emphasize the man's body so much. It struck me as a shot that any dad or uncle would have been happy to take and most parents and relatives would find appealing. There was something very spontaneous-feeling about it which, of course, can be accomplished both in staged and candid photography.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

[quote="

Francis, it looks like the moderators removed the photo per rules. The workaround that is acceptable is to put the link to the photo in your posting. That way all we have to do is click the link to see the photo and PN does not have to deal with an angry photographer that has his photo being displayed on this site without permission.

For those arriving late, the photo was a black and white image of an older gentleman raising a one or two year old high above him. It was a good shot and perhaps Francis will post a link to the photo so others can participate in the discussion.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet