What camera(s) are you using this weekend?

Recently I have been using another German tube camera: Braun Gloria 6x6 with Braxar Bayreuth 75/2.9 lens (by Steiner). The lens is the same as those on Goldeck as @rick_drawbridge wrote about in the past. It is a surprisingly good triplet lens: soft glow when wide open, and plenty sharp when stopped down. I have to take apart the lens to do some cleaning of the elements, as well as cleaning up oil on the shutter blades so they don't get stuck. But thankfully the shutter itself is quite clean and all speeds seem to work well.

Below is a photo of the camera next to the Agfa Isola, my lightweight champion. Gloria is a tad shorter, but much heavier due to the higher spec lens and shutter combo, heftier construction, as well as uncoupled rangefinder. I hope to get a Goldeck soon to complete the collection of German tube cameras. They do have a few pros and cons compared to folders of the same era, which might be topic for another article.

tube cameras Large.jpeg

• Like 8

Got a roll in a Contax D for the week.

Will load up something 1940s vintage for the weekend as I'll be spending a day as a living display in the Overloon Liberty Park museum.
Will probably crawling over a tank all day.

• Like 1

This is my new to me Yashica Lynx 1000. The camera works beautifully, except for the light meter, so I had to use my old Gossen Pilot light meter with quite good results.

image.jpeg

• Like 9

On 4/25/2024 at 5:58 PM, bruce_z._li2 said:

Who likes 44mm normal lens? On the left: Topcon 35-S with Topcor 44/2 lens. On the right: Kodak Signet 35 with Ektar 44/3.5 lens. Both are of excellent quality.

44mm_lens 2.jpeg

The Ektar f3.5 is superb! How is your Signet performing?

Lovin' me some Ektar.. Your Signet looks a lot better than mine...but no complaints..mine works quite Ok! I find these under 50mm but more than 28mm lens sizes are very much to my liking. The Ikonta 35s (Contina) are also in the 40s 42mm? I really like the Biogons/Fletogons and any 35mm lens.  Wide as 28mm ..then is wide! The 40s are Normal/Wide to me.

12 hours ago, jason_withers said:

The Ektar f3.5 is superb! How is your Signet performing?

Hi Jason, the Ektar 44/3.5 on my Signet 35 performs really well and I have shared some photos a year ago. Sadly, I suffer from "too many cameras" syndrome and have not used the Signet 35 recently.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bruce_z._li2 said:

Hi Jason, the Ektar 44/3.5 on my Signet 35 performs really well and I have shared some photos a year ago. Sadly, I suffer from "too many cameras" syndrome and have not used the Signet 35 recently.

Hi hear you Bruce_z.. "Sadly, I suffer from "too many cameras" syndrome and have not used the Signet 35 recently." I have taken this to heart!  I will shoot my Signet now !! 🙂

• Like 2

The Contax RTS, constructed under license by Yashica, was released in 1975. In 1977 Yashica introduced a camera based on the RTS, the Yashica FR1. Overall, as a user, I prefer the Yashica camera. Both were built to very high standards of quality and innovation. Having restored the Contac RTS to working condition, I'm shooting a film with it this weekend. I was encouraged to attempt repairs by using the Yashica FR1 during the week, which reminded me how much I used to enjoy using the RTS. The Yashica ML 50mm f/2 is a surprisingly fine performer.

ContaxRTSandYadhicaFR1copy.jpg.ff44f7f4bc60ddea85ce90a64205c7bc.jpg

• Like 7

I just got this Voigtänder 28/2.8 Color-Skopar Asph, in black paint on brass, and nickel plated trims.

Aside from the bright white lettering (and the plastic finder), it is a perfect match to my Leica II D from 1933. I will use some HP5+ for my first roll.

Leica II w. Voigtländer 28mm 2.8 L39

• Like 12
Niels

On 4/1/2024 at 9:40 PM, bruce_z._li2 said:

@Niels - NHSN Hi Niels, what a coincidence. I just picked up a N80 (F80) for the price of a good burger. It was in its original box with manuals, but the rubber is a bit sticky. Just cleaned that up with 91% alcohol and microfiber cloth. Initially the camera has a bit of hesitation in shutter and mirror, probably been sitting idle for too long. But after 50 shutter release or so, it is now back to good service!

I was also planning to find a cheap and good lens like the 28-80 G you have there. For now, it is comically light with a "pro" lens like 18-35/2.8.

I have become quite good at restoring sticky N80’s, F100’s and a Sigma 24mm Superwide which was sticky as well. I use an alcohol based hand sanitizer with a small soft brush.  (A tooth brush will work fine.) Takes me probably 35-45 minutes to completely clean the camera. Also when finished I wipe all grip surfaces down with Amorall and microfiber cloth. When completed they look nearly new.  

• Like 2

mjferron said : " I have become quite good at restoring sticky N80’s, F100’s and a Sigma 24mm Superwide which was sticky as well. I use an alcohol based hand sanitizer with a small soft brush. "

The best treatment I have come across is the application of isopropyl alcohol using scraps of lint-free cloth, such as the remains if an old cotton shirt. Changing the scraps frequently enables a fairly quick and easy clean. Isopropyl alcohol is available from most hardware stores.

A trio of Six-20 Kodak folders that I have recently restored.  All required cleaning and bellows replacement.  All share the same shutter and 100mm f6.3 anastigmat triplet.

The first is an initial version (circa 1932) Six-20 Kodak in Art Deco trim.   High quality materials and platings were used in this camera which is probably why Kodak introduced the similarly spec'd Junior Six-20 model, but made with less expensive materials, just a couple of years later.  The initial Six-20 is also slightly smaller than the later Juniors and, due to its different construction, I have not been able to fit a trimmed 120 spool in the supply side.  Also, due to its excellent condition, I'm hesitant to hack on it.  Because of this, I probably won't use this camera much.

The second two cameras are Series I and Series II versions of the Junior Six-20.  The only differences in the Series II is a plain body covering, the addition of a quick-release bar under the lens for one-handed folding of the struts, and a top-mounted lens panel release button.  From a usability standpoint, I prefer the Junior cameras because, with a simple modification (shown in the last photo), I can use a trimmed 120 spool on the supply side.  The Juniors also have a built-in cover for the film window on the back.

The original Six-20 Kodak Camera_small.jpg.c0e8bbc3c57749e54d18095a0337943a.jpg

Series I Junior Six-20Camera_small.jpg.8251a9fb888fa268a8f9bfece87996dc.jpg

Series II modelCamera_small.jpg.f3621a8e7f259a408a3c43b40b884415.jpg

Modded for trimmed 120 spoolIMG_20240523_092948160.jpg.cda4939b1ac77acaeece8e0711d3942b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent! 2
  • Very Nice 1

Three German tube 6x6 cameras, from left to right. They were fashionable during the 1950s, since they are simper to produce and slightly more rigid than most folders.

• Goldammer Goldeck, with Bayreuth 75/2.9 triplet lens, shutter on the lens
  • Braun Gloria, with Bayreuth 75/2.9 triplet lens and uncoupled rangefinder
  • Agfa Isola with Agnar 75/6.3 triplet lens

The Isola is super light and fun to carry everywhere. The Gloria is the most feature rich and solidly built, while the Goldeck shares the same excellent Steiner made triplet lens.

I did shutter CLA and lens focus calibration on both the Goldeck and Gloria, and they are doing well even wide open.

three tube cameras.jpg

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, gary green said:

@bruce_z._li2 Hi Bruce, were the Goldeck and Gloria cameras marketed in the U.S.?  If so they must be quite rare as I've never come across either.

Hi Gary, I got the Gloria from Illinois while the Goldeck from Europe. They are both quite rare in the US market, but more available in the European market. With some patience, they can be had for reasonably low price if you are willing to do some CLA yourself. 

And your first Art Deco Kodak Six-20 looks virtually new! There is certain elegance to the Art Deco cameras, even though it is not a genre I'm particularly after. I'm more into Bauhaus style, but there aren't many cameras in that category. 

Edited by bruce_z._li2
  • Like 1

On a recent cold, wet and miserable day I gathered up all the Braun Paxette cameras from various shelves and sat down to clean and exercise them. Most of them are still quite usable, and a few are in pristine condition. A very underrated line of cameras in my opinion, though the triplet lenses they came fitted with were not great performers. However, there was a range of excellent interchangeable lens options available if the enthusiasts wanted to pay a premium price. I might even try to take some photographs with one and post a couple of results.

Paxettescopy.jpg.70332d1eee4f8a2316ab9e0ac611f3e1.jpg

• Like 8
  • Very Nice 1

On a recent cold, wet and miserable day I gathered up all the Braun Paxette cameras from various shelves and sat down to clean and exercise them. Most of them are still quite usable, and a few are in pristine condition. A very underrated line of cameras in my opinion, though the triplet lenses they came fitted with were not great performers. However, there was a range of excellent interchangeable lens options available if the enthusiasts wanted to pay a premium price. I might even try to take some photographs with one and post a couple of results.

Ohh might you now? 🙂

6 hours ago, Rick_van_Nooij said:

TouristNormandy.jpeg.f80f1d6408b59191f5b84f4901d970d6.jpeg

Getting ready for my week in Normandy for the D-Day 80th Anniversary. 
1937 Contax II, with CZJ 50/1.5 Sonnar
1941 Leica IIIc, with Leitz 50/2.5 Hektor
Bringing Fomapan 100 and Kentmere 100

I look forward to seeing your pictures.

• Like 3

ZeissIkonettescopy.jpg.f6dbc43869169478e66eaf41ce33955e.jpg

Unashamedly marketed  in the USA in the mid 50's as a "lady's camera" in the culture of the day, the little Ikonette featured a multi-purpose front-mounted lever that, in two actions, wound the film and cocked the shutter, then fired the shutter. They are actually fun cameras to use and the Nova lens is very sharp. Unfortunately, the design proved very prone to light leaks, and the camera was a commercial disaster.

I recently found the lower example in a local op-shop, and with a little exercise it seems to be working correctly. I've just loaded a short length of test film.

• Like 5
  • Very Nice 1

It's been awhile since I've used my FrankenKodak Senior Six-20.  A previous owner had polished fine scratches on the rear element of the original lens (an uncoated f4.5 anastigmat in a Kodamatic shutter) so I replaced the shutter/lens combination with this Flash Supermatic and early (1946) coated f4.5 Anastigmat Special from a broken Monitor Six-20.  I also replaced the original bellows.  I can only guess that the previous owner wanted to achieve the pictorialist "glow" and slight softness that was popular at the time.

I took a risk mounting a slightly shorter focal length lens than the original (101mm vs 103mm) but, after adjusting the focus, I'm satisfied with the results.

Camera_small.jpg.35b68f77b8b5ff0768bf15d182f11987.jpg

• Like 7
  • Very Nice 1