Monday in Nature Nov. 7, 2016

Laura Weishaupt

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Basic Guidelines</strong>: Nature based subject matter. Please, declare captive subjects. Keep your image at/under 1000 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Feel free to link your image to a larger version. <strong><em>In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include hand of man elements. Please refrain from images with obvious buildings or large man made structures like roads, fences, walls. Minimize man made features and keep the focus on nature. </em></strong><br>

<strong><em> </em></strong><br>

<strong><em>Are you new to this thread? We post one image per week. For more details on guidelines please read <a href="/nature-photography-forum/00cgtY">this</a> helpful information. </em></strong><br>

<strong><em> </em></strong><br>

<strong><em> </em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good Morning,<br>

Autumn color abounds in the woodlands. While the trees change in broad color swaths across the mountains, the understory has a different palette. When golds and ambers fill the canopy,<em> Viburnum acerfolium</em> goes pink, then purple. It's velvety leaves have a soft feel in contrast to the cold yet to come.</p>

<p>No matter the season, Monday in Nature is always warm. Have a great day everyone.</p><div>00eDkL-566289984.thumb.JPG.6f84a86c87c525dc631c377e220f4428.JPG</div>

<p>Hello all. <br>

Safely back to a very late autumn up here in the near north. Together with my dog Elwood I logged 7,338 miles (or a much more impressive 11,809 kilometres) through 19 states, one twice, over 6 weeks in my new camper. This was a bucket-list road-trip for me that I have been dreaming of since hitch-hiking to Vancouver as a teenager.<br>

We saw and did many amazing things along the way, the piece de resistance being the three day Desert Trip rock concert in Indio., California.<br>

This shot features over one hundred elephant seals basking (baking!) in the hot California sun. These beasts grow to a very impressive size and weight; males can reach 16 - 20' and weigh up to 8800lbs with an ability to dive to 1500' for as long as 2 hours.<br>

I am now in love with northern California.</p><div>00eDmN-566295884.thumb.jpg.441b8cd72d5ad78e5c0d531e1d627729.jpg</div>

<p>Apparently these are "western elderberries"....that is they grow on West Side of the Sierra's...and supposedly edible. Someone even posted making liquor online out of these....the stems seem to be toxic. Various red type berries can make you sick and some are ultra poisonous. One guy reported getting back to his vehicle and being sicko for the rest of the day. Any foragers (out there), be careful that you know what you are ingesting.</p>

<p>Found these in Kings Canyon NP.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<div>00eDnA-566297084.jpg.44c0db9461e5f2a88a7d4dc73e256547.jpg</div>